Homeless man walks 29 miles to courthouse in freezing cold

Homeless Man Walks 29 Miles To Courthouse In Freezing Temperatures
An Atlanta homeless man walked 29 miles in freezing temperatures to make his court appearance.

He had totaled his car and needed to pay a parking ticket. HLN says the man, named James, started walking at 1:00 a.m. The trip took him more than eight hours -- and his public defender never showed up in court.

James, who did not wish to show his face on camera, said he knew if he ever stopped to take a break during the long walk he would never start up again. 'As soon as the air hit my lungs, it took my breath away,' he said. 'No I'm not crazy, just dedicated.'

WSB-TV says police officers were so impressed that they paid the $80 cab fee to take him back to the shelter he stays in.

This took place on January 7th. The morning temperature was 6 degrees, but the wind chill made the air feel like 10 degrees below zero. That was the coldest it's been in Atlanta since February 1996.

geotr3 January 10 2014 at 5:30 PM

People tend to forget that cops are people too, with feelings and emotions. Way to go guys and girls.

Joanna January 10 2014 at 4:57 PM

Depending on the homeless mans age maybe the police could get together and help get him together and get him on the police force. Obviously this man has morals, determination and character...so if any Atlanta police officers see this PLEASE think about it...cities need all the honorable officers they can get.

jrvelez45 January 10 2014 at 4:55 PM

it would been better if they dropped the ticket due to the public defender not showing up, but all in all, good to know there are officers who have a heart, here's hoping 2014 is a better year for him

Phyllis January 10 2014 at 4:55 PM

Thank you officers, great story, great kindness. Mr. Public Defender, your client walked in freezing cold weather and your arse could not show up, you need to be fired ASAP.

blondegedu January 10 2014 at 4:51 PM

To Build a Fire anyone? Awesome dude, this one actually lived :D

Dennisboop2 January 10 2014 at 4:50 PM

Thank God we still have humans who use their brains and help the poor and the homeless. I would have done exactly the same. Why the court didnt use theirs remains to be seen. I wish we heard more stories like this to teach our young to think about people who are less than fortunate...

Paul January 10 2014 at 4:49 PM

I am very impressed by what this man did. I hope someone will give him a job and I am sure he will be a trusted good employee

Roberta Paul January 10 2014 at 4:53 PM

very good point.

Laura Paul January 10 2014 at 4:58 PM

DITTO!! Come on someone hire this guy already!!

JAYE January 10 2014 at 4:45 PM

Someone needs to give this man a job - what a wonderful story - God Bless the police for what they did, and good luck to James...

tkngclk January 10 2014 at 8:39 PM

I am so very impressed with this mans curage and how dedicated he is...Let me say this to you James , I at a time in life experienced homeless living also, but you are a exception of a man !
I sincerely; wish you all the best of luck and a future in your life !!

Laura January 10 2014 at 4:57 PM

If I owned my own business I would hire this man!!! Where are the business people out there. What an employee and role model he would make.