Northern lights may expand south next couple days

WASHINGTON (AP) - Northerners thawing out from a bitter freeze may get rewarded with shimmering northern lights the next couple days.

Federal space weather forecaster Joe Kunches said the sun shot out a strong solar flare late Tuesday, which should arrive at Earth early Thursday. It should shake up Earth's magnetic field and expand the Aurora Borealis south, possibly as far south as Colorado and central Illinois. He said best viewing would probably be Thursday evening, weather permitting.

The University of Alaska's Geophysical Institute predicts much of Canada and the northern fringes of the U.S. should see the northern lights. Chicago, Boston, Cleveland, Seattle and Des Moines might see the shimmering colors low on the horizon.

The solar storm is already diverting airline flights around the poles and may disrupt GPS devices Thursday.

boblg62 January 09 2014 at 11:46 AM

I have seen the northern lights while stationed in the upper pennisual of Michigan in 60 and in Iceland in 61 and as far south as Missouri in 62. it is erie at first but also beautiful .awesome site to see. would like to see them again.

Bettianne January 08 2014 at 7:10 PM

This is too cool!!! I've never seen the northern lights, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm so glad I"m a Clevelander!!!!!!!! Eat your heart out those in the south :)

hey...d umb ass Bettianne January 08 2014 at 7:11 PM

do you know drew carrie?

U R A Winner Bettianne January 08 2014 at 7:21 PM

I live in cleveland and went to school in Akron. I have been in Georgia for forty years and have no desire to ever go back to ohio period except to visit my children, grand children and great grand children. I love the weather here. You should try it, You might like it. URA Winner

jpgrooster January 09 2014 at 9:51 AM

July 4, 1978, I was shooting bottle rockets into the air with some fellow musicians of the Brockport, NY symphony when the sky lit up with what looked like irridescent curtains flowing gently in the breeze! We stopped what we were doing and watched the best 4th of July display we've ever seen (or likely will!) Seeing it again would be great, but that was hard to beat!

ecm331 January 09 2014 at 9:44 AM

Watched the "Northern Lights" many times while I was stationed in Alaska>>>>>>Beautiful sight to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EJs Electronics January 08 2014 at 7:20 PM

Who needs GPS. ?

Been flying/driving since 1946, w/o it. Use road maps AAA, magnetic compass, etc. etc.

itbloo EJs Electronics January 08 2014 at 7:38 PM

I'm a map reading idiot. I truly love GPS. Glad there are capable people like you out there.

Brian EJs Electronics January 08 2014 at 7:39 PM

So you take pride in being outdated and less efficient?

msnannyb Brian January 08 2014 at 7:48 PM

being "outdated" has its perks. People like us will be able to carry on when all the fancy electronics crash.Be self sufficent is not being less efficent.

Flag +1 rate up
Tom Brian January 08 2014 at 7:53 PM

It's pretty simple Brian...if you don't know the basics, then how efficient will YOU be if/when the grid goes down? You'll be pretty outdated also...

Flag 0 rate up
Natasha January 08 2014 at 7:21 PM

would like to see those lights, but not the freezing weather.

kmcc895370 January 08 2014 at 7:25 PM

Several years ago while visiting NYC my girl friend and I saw the northern lights from the center of Central Park late one evening. I just happened to glance up and there it was, like a veil of celestial lace slowly falling then disappearing after only seconds. luckily, she looked up when I did and saw it too. We live in Pittsburgh area so we'll be watching for it.

shewrite January 08 2014 at 7:26 PM

Hope we here in Georgetown, TX will be able t see the Northern Lights. Used to see them with my Mom and Dad growing up in Maine!

msnannyb January 08 2014 at 7:28 PM

Yes winter in Ohio can be harsh but it can't be beat for beautiful! The hush that falls over the night when the gorund is covered with snow is so peaceful. I have a son and grandchildren in Ga. and thats the only reason I go down there! The heat and the overwhelming non stop traffic are not for this olad lady!

itbloo msnannyb January 08 2014 at 7:36 PM

It is good thing to not have to put up with a harsh environment.

msnannyb itbloo January 08 2014 at 7:57 PM

depends on what your used to. Spent my entire life here except for two years in germany and they were colder then here! I admit its more difficult for me since my my husband passed in Aug but i still love the snow and the cold weather. I live for fall and winter. For me summer is the killer season.

Flag +1 rate up
domingbfan January 08 2014 at 7:30 PM

watched a documentary called them headlights.

Eric domingbfan January 08 2014 at 8:08 PM

Up North here.......we're going to have clouds tomorrow night.