Australia's Science Agency issues cutest apology ever

Australia's Science Agency Apologizes For Failing to Create Dragons

By Jen Markham for Buzz60

Australia's national science agency feels like it has some explaining to do for failing to make mythical creatures like those in the new 'Hobbit' movie actually come to life.

It's possibly the most awesome government agency apology ever.

Sophie Lester, 7, of Queensland Australia apparently loves dragons so much that she wrote to the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization asking for one.

She promised to call it 'toothless' if they could make a girl, and 'Stuart' if they could create a boy. She also noted that she would play with them every weekend if they came to life.

Instead of dismissing the letter as childish fantasy, the CSIRO posted an apology not only to Sophie,
but to the entire nation.

The note said that CSIRO regrets that it has not been able to create a dragon or dragon eggs in the past 87 years.

sierradlg January 09 2014 at 11:58 AM

awww this is now oficcialy the best science facillity ever

jshowerguy January 09 2014 at 3:30 PM

Good folks there at CSIRO, whisch is also a top research organization. Well done.

kwhodges January 09 2014 at 1:27 PM

Two thumbs up to CSIRO and the "lovely scientists" who penned this great reply. That little girl will forever remember her interaction with you.

william.bednarz January 09 2014 at 1:08 PM

It would have been nice. . . . and I'd want one too. . . Oh,Well

DJ January 09 2014 at 9:59 PM

The way genetics research is heading it may not be too far fetched to see things like designer animals in the future. The chinese have developed cats that glow under UV lights. Theres a British company thats breeding bulked up, genetically manipulated cattle that weigh up to 2 tons. I never understood the need to tinker with animals designs, Nature knew what it was doing when these critters evolved to suit the nitches they occupy, we can't do better. Our tinkering with species has resulted in things like hip dysplasia and chronic lung/breathing issues in dogs. Ferrets that have more chronic health issues than I can name... Just leave it alone.

kostas January 09 2014 at 11:43 AM

Its cool that a company would write a letter like that very nice

Hello Joe January 09 2014 at 11:32 AM

Sophie you and I share a last name, spelled the same.

dickn2000b Hello Joe January 09 2014 at 11:39 AM

So you are Chester The Mo Lester.

jackgrenan January 09 2014 at 10:45 AM

Thanks for trying and keeping the spirit of hope & imagination alive! I am 61 yrs old and will never lose the child in me, it gives me hope and smiles. I wrote a book after fighting 4th stage called 500 Reasons to Smile,, it is free no tricks I am just blessed to be alive I also spent 3 months in a coma with a 106 degree fever ...i died & floated over my own body & saw heaven....crazy but true...God Bless & keep the child in all of us! PS I still believe the story in England & movie about real fairies is real...I hope God Bless All who fight to survive every day! jackgrenan@netscape.net I am a hypnotherapist & trained psychologist who cannot work due to cancer & coma complications I just help anyone who asks..................Doc Smile More!!

cherokee jackgrenan January 09 2014 at 2:09 PM

WOW.....It seems that you have really had problems. Let us pray that you can continue on for many years.

Kate jackgrenan January 09 2014 at 3:38 PM

I've heard about your book. Glad to hear that you've still got such a great spirit, and appreciated the equally lovely spirit of this little girl, who promised to play with her dragon every weekend.

tscsandite January 09 2014 at 10:34 AM

Puff, the magic dragon....mane

Billy Rogers January 09 2014 at 9:51 AM

And if you ever wonder why we love those Aussies, this is one good reason to start!