The Best Diets for Every Budget

Eating well and losing weight doesn't have to break the bank. Many diet plans are intrinsically budget-friendly, while others can be handled in ways that give you the most bang for your buck.

If you have a health resolution for the new year, don't let money get in your way. Check out the most budget-friendly diets and learn the secrets to making the best diets work for your budget.

Artie January 08 2014 at 11:33 PM

As a few folks pointed out in the comments, dieting suggests a temporary fix for a life long problem. Most so-called diets are doomed to fail long-term.If followed religiously ANYdiet can and will work and you will lose weight ...initially. However, keeping the weight off is another story. As soon as you go back to old (bad) eating habits the weight comes right back on and then some. You have to change your lifestyle and the way you think about food and portion control. You have to learn to make healthy food choices and watch overall calorie intake. It has been my experience that eating too many carbs, including breads, pastas, white flour products, sugars and sweets and foods that convert easily to sugar (glucose) are the main culprits. It is not the overconsumption of fat that is making most people fat. Although eating too much saturated fats is not good for you for other reasons (high cholesterol). Weight Watchers, and similar programs make the most sense to me. They, at least, teach people what a portion is and how to eat sensibly and make better choices. The so-called Mediterranean "diet" if adapted as a lifestyle way of eating is also a good alternative. Lastly, you have to get off your "arses" and excercise regularly, even if its just walking.

Rich January 08 2014 at 4:37 PM

Without a regular exercise regimen, it is unlikely that any diet will get and keep the weight off. My diet remains about the same at all time. I normally consume between 3000 and 3500 calories per day. Since Thanksgiving, I have gained seven pounds due to not exercising as much as I normally do. I normally run about 20 miles per week or get an equal amount of cardio in, but since Thanksgiving I have only been getting in about 5 miles per week. If you want to lose weight the right way, eat pretty much how much you want, so long as it's not a bunch of processed foods, stay away from sweetened drinks, especially soda, and exercise 45 minutes per day at least five days per week. And when I say exercise, it means to break a sweat, and to sweat like a pig. None of this getting on the treadmill and walking for 45 minutes while reading a book. No pain, no gain, but don't be stupid about it. Work your way up to maximum output slowly, especially if you are excessively overweight. Good luck.

bb20744 January 08 2014 at 4:56 PM

The very best for your body is, sit on the table, a word of thanks to the Lord us you are served,
get another plate transfer one half (1/2) of the portion infront of you into the plate, and thats all you really need, then deal with the other half on your nest meal. That should cut your weight in no time.
Oh! drink a lot od H2O and 1/3 your regular consumption of salt & sugar, 5 ft 7in 175 lb 83 Yr Very a few problemos and very inexpensive...Do not change your food habit unless your doctor say's so1

fishnrockport bb20744 January 08 2014 at 5:04 PM

us you are served? nest meal? od H2O? and how do you drink 1/3 salt and sugar?

Mad Dog bb20744 January 08 2014 at 5:05 PM

LOL funny! My doctor is clueless. He still thinks fat free is good for you. In case you don't know they replace the fat they remove with sugars! Why waste food by putting more on your plate than you are going to eat. Just cook what you are going to eat or better yet don't cook, eat out!

breezejd38 January 08 2014 at 11:07 AM

Best diet for your money; purchase the book "the Glycemic Load Diet" by Doctor Rob Thompson MD

evelyon7 January 08 2014 at 10:57 AM

WELL I THOUGHT BUYING NATURAL FOOD LIKE CELERY WAS BEST BUT THEN WE ARE WARNED ABOUT THE WATER BEING SPRAYED ON IT TO KEEP IT FRESH AS IT HAS BACTERIA IN IT SIGH. IN THIS DAY AND AGE IT IS MORE EVEIDENT THAT ONLY THE STRONGEST WILL SURVIVE, WITH ALL THE GREED ABOUNDING THROUGH OUT THE WORLD SO I WASH AGAIN ALL THE FRESH FOOD I BUY AND FALL BACK ON FROZEN FOOD WHEN THE FRESH IS OUT OF MY BUDGET. I HAVE MADE IT TO AGE 78 ANYHOO LOL.

bb20744 January 08 2014 at 5:15 PM

Or, love a Big Mac, us you live the food counter ask for a knife, proceed to the refreshment bar,
control yourself there is water, plain good H2O, that's all you need none of the carbon, Sit cut the big Mac, and half the frys save the half for later dinner. Do not make food control you, control food intake cheaper on the long run, Honest my son is doing well Chito...

captnhook bb20744 January 08 2014 at 6:16 PM

save for later? Reheated MC D burger & fries taste like salty cardboard! Now......chargrilled burger.....made at home....is good if reheated...

Shirley Ann January 08 2014 at 10:31 AM

I have thought about this now, why do we in our food or drinks we buy have ingredients that are mile long list. all bad for us. Really if you can't pronounce the name more less spell the name it is bad for us. What about the all the stuff they put into our foods in freezer section or package to help preserve the product and taste. Also look at americans today most are overweight however back in my grandparents world they worked did hard labor to make ends meet for their large family which they raised their own food in the garden and raised their own cow to milk they churn butter and buttermilk. The bacon came from hog which was not injected with hormones. Now days we got scientist man kind ,machines, and scientist to figure out our food. It is all scary now their more cancer in the world and we are feeding off of those unseen labels we can't or don't know what the heck it is. I still say we are better off eating all organic food but the market today is so expensive to buy. With the families being laid off and struggling to make ends meet. So people opt out to buy what is cheap. What about This GMO stuff again we have people who don't have anything better to do but to again make money in their pockets. I think it is time the goverment stop letting people put junk in our food which is making everyone sick and making our self sick.

...what happen to the old days when we knew exactly what in our meals.

TimerDiet Shirley Ann January 08 2014 at 10:37 AM

Why did you put so many blank spaces into your comment? It seems that it is taking away from what you were trying to say...which I assume was to try not to eat so many processed or genetically modified organisms (GMO's)

captnhook January 08 2014 at 6:24 PM

This is a cheap way to lose a ton of weight. Yes, its not the best but....you have to look at food like fuel.......not a reward......not filling some desperate need to be loved.......Breakfast....REAL OATMEAL....no packets of sugary crap. ad skim milk or water....any berries...Lunch....a can of green beans (rinse off the salt) add a pack of tuna...maybe a little vinager and oil......Dinner ...I cook a couple pieces of fish or a chicken breast..couple tablespoons of low fat cottage cheese....EAT SLOW....your stomach will shrink in a week....lots of water....I lost 60lbs in 7 weeks with just some light weight circut training. I had to drill extra holes in my belts.....the inches melted off......Energy and sexiness way up!

shirleymweist captnhook January 08 2014 at 7:57 PM

Sounds good. I have trouble at last meal with portion control, then get hungry an hour later.

Charlotte January 08 2014 at 8:37 PM

For me high protein low carbs is the way to go. No processed foods, fresh veggies, meats of all kinds, no sweets. Weight drops off fast.

kbmktamer January 08 2014 at 7:08 PM

I've been using the myfitnesspal app and entering everything I eat every day. Once I entered my current weight and my weight loss goals, it was easy. It's all calorie counting. Since I eat very few processed foods and little sugar anyway, my main concern was consuming the correct daily calories to consistently lose weight. I've kepy my walking regimen the same and recording all that I eat keeps me accountable and really teaches me portion control.

Lucy kbmktamer January 08 2014 at 7:34 PM

I am using my Fitness Pal, too! I have stayed below my 1200 cals everyday with light exercise on the elliptical since it is too cold to walk outside. I have 40 pounds to lose. I am 50 and had a stroke on Christmas Day. Thank God I am alive, but I have to get in shape. I have a 10 year old son!!!

Molly Lucy January 08 2014 at 10:17 PM

Lucy, try cutting your portions in half. Have one sweet after dinner, like one cookie, or something that feels like a treat. Eat it slow, drink lot's of water or weak tea, no sugar.

Flag 0 rate up
shevon Lucy January 09 2014 at 2:00 AM

Hang in there lucy, you can do it!

Flag 0 rate up

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal