AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

'Antiques Roadshow': $100,000 item appraiser had never seen before

'Antiques Roadshow': $100,000 Book Appraiser Had Never Seen Before

'Antiques Roadshow' headed to Boise, Idaho, where the show found something one of its appraisers had never seen before: a first-edition Book of Mormon.

What makes the book so extra special? It has never left the family line, and has been passed down for generation to generation since 1830.

'It's really quite remarkable,' the appraiser explained, 'because in my almost four decades in the rare book business, this is the oldest copy in the sense of being under continuous ownership that I have ever come across before.'

The book, dubbed the 'gem' of the season premiere episode, was appraised at $75,000 retail. However, given the family heirloom status, the appraiser suggested it should be insured for a whopping $100,000.

More From You

490 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
mike711l January 08 2014 at 5:33 AM

I just want to know where the golden plates are!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to mike711l's comment
bannorhill January 09 2014 at 1:02 PM

Right where they always were.... In Joseph Smith's mind.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
mike711l January 08 2014 at 5:31 AM

This guy will probably be hearing from the elders wanting the book for "safe keeping".

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
pasgfy January 08 2014 at 4:56 AM

oops i was reading it as "book of moron"

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
1 reply to pasgfy's comment
mike711l January 08 2014 at 5:31 AM

No, you read that correctly.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Handsome January 08 2014 at 3:41 AM

it was written in crayon..

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
DJ January 08 2014 at 2:51 AM

A lot of negative posts tonight. Put aside it's religious history, look at it as an artifact and it's amazing. I'm an Atheist, I don't believe in any supreme entity. However, I also don't go around knocking anyone who does. Live n let live. Unless we're talking religious fanatic. Thats off topic though. Fascinating that a single family has passed it along for so long. Peace.

Reply Flag as Abusive +6 rate up rate down
bluedodge47 January 08 2014 at 2:45 AM

Why am I allowed to post here but not on HP???

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
2 replies to bluedodge47's comment
michaelhunt726 January 08 2014 at 4:48 AM

Yeah, I don't get that either. I don't do facebook.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
christinepawson January 08 2014 at 5:01 AM

Very disconcerting,almost sinister,now we know who HP's pay masters are,not that we didn't before,but this action confirms it

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Kristine January 08 2014 at 2:05 AM

Until people realize all religion to be superstition, religious groups and their gods will continue their pissing contests to see whose god is best.

Freedom comes by Freedom From Religion.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
2 replies to Kristine's comment
war3saw January 08 2014 at 2:13 AM

Yeap.

Reply Flag as Abusive -3 rate up rate down
mike711l January 08 2014 at 5:30 AM

That pissing contest has caused more death and suffering through the centuries than anything else. yay god.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
mcgehpt January 08 2014 at 1:23 AM

I was raised catholic and no they don't demand 10% of your groos income it's 15% and the will send you a notice in the mail about how much you owe to get caught up. They will also charge you for just about everything and the most interesting thing I find is that if you want to be married in the church you have to go to classes then to a retreat and a priest can decide that you are not suited and can and will not allow the marrage to take place in the catholic church. Second and I had this happen to me I married outside my faith and the church said I was living in sin and my children were bastards. My husband agreed to everything the church wanted over a 4 year period. A preist just kept adding more thing on for him to do before the priest decided when we could marry in the church. We ended up divorced and when my priest found out he came to me an said for $500.00 he would annull the marrage. I asked him how he could annull a marrage that was never excepted by the church .He had no answer but told me not to be disrepectful.

So I say any religon that demands money to be part that religon are hypocrites

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
7 replies to mcgehpt's comment
teridavisnewman January 08 2014 at 12:31 AM

I bought a pin that the seller told me she thought was sterling. I ended up giving her $14 for because the workmanship was so beautiful I thought she was wrong about what it was. Turns out the "glass" stones are very high quality diamonds and the rest of it is 18K white gold and it's worth about $2800.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
1 reply to teridavisnewman's comment
mirzakhn65 January 08 2014 at 2:51 AM

You believe or u check it out.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Joseph Durbin January 07 2014 at 11:54 PM

On Roadshow the other night a man brought on three or four little statues he had bought on a trip several years ago to Europe. He paid maybe $5,000.00 total. He was told to insure for 1.5 million. He was pretty stunned.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down