Target reveals big error on gift card activations

NEW YORK (AP) - Target is getting hit with another lump of coal this holiday season.

The nation's second-largest discount retailer said Tuesday that an unidentified number of gift cards sold over the holidays were not properly activated. The Minneapolis chain says the number of cards affected was less than 0.1 percent of the total sold and that it will honor the affected cards.

Customers can bring faulty cards to any Target service desk or call 800-544-2943 for help.

'We are aware that some Target gift cards were not fully activated and apologize for the inconvenience,' company spokeswoman Molly Snyder said in a statement emailed to The Associated Press.

The problem comes less than two weeks after Target announced it was hit with a massive data security breach that affected about 40 million debit and credit card holders who shopped at its stores between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15.

'It's another black eye that makes you question the internal operating procedures of Target,' said Brian Sozzi, CEO and chief equities strategist at Belus Capital Advisors. 'Target needs to be doing everything perfectly. It can't afford to lose any more confidence among its guests.'

On Friday, Target backtracked and said that debit-card PINs were among the financial information stolen from millions of customers who shopped at the retailer in late November and early December. However, it said the stolen personal identification numbers, which customers type into keypads to make secure transactions, were encrypted and that this strongly reduces risk to customers.

In addition to the encrypted PINs, customer names, credit and debit card numbers, card expiration dates and the embedded code on the magnetic strip on back of the cards were stolen.

Target has said it is still in the early stages of investigating the breach. It has been working with the Secret Service and the Department of Justice.

___

Follow Anne D'Innocenzio at http://www.Twitter.com/adinnocenzio

nothing707 December 31 2013 at 7:21 PM

Target, good name for a company.

James R Partlow December 31 2013 at 4:13 PM

I believe all of Americas current problems stem from the inability of decent management.In other words the wrong people are being moved to management.This came to a head with the recent hurricane.Most of the management of LIPA were political appointments,when Sandy came they had no idea what to do so they just went home.The resulting mess caused the demise of LIPA but they have no idea why.Stop using the buddy system to move people up and find people that know what they're doing.

Ed Baggett December 31 2013 at 4:01 PM

I hate gift cards !!!!!!!!!!

BRUCE December 31 2013 at 3:56 PM

To the CEO.....I've shopped in your store before, somehow I never got the feeling that I was a "guest".

wickpj December 31 2013 at 3:55 PM

bet walmart would enjoy having #2 out their way. that way they can continue raising their prices with no
competition.

Shelley wickpj December 31 2013 at 4:24 PM

Sounds like to me "someone" is out to get Target - wipe them out of the competition. I happen to like Target a LOT and would hate to see this happen.....

Fred December 31 2013 at 3:51 PM

Stay tuned for furture secrets from Target, after all, it's not their money, so why tell you everything at once.

mutti4353 December 31 2013 at 3:49 PM

I also want to report that on Monday in some of the afternoon hours it was not possible to get through to Target,neither one in the Akron area that I tried. When i got finally through, nobody knew the reason. Answer that came through,"Error occured,,your apps have been cancelled"
Like to find out what happenend???

Raymond December 31 2013 at 10:13 PM

Another reason for (TARGET) to quickly change their name! Ouch!

jannihead January 01 2014 at 12:04 AM

I thought it was nice that Target sent a free $5 target gift card to me for shopping on-line at Target.com. It was a nice gesture, even though the closest Target store is 60 miles away from my house. That is, I thought so until I got the $5 charge on my bank statement/debit card. I won't be shopping at Target.com on-line again, for sure.

berrysweetstuff January 01 2014 at 12:34 AM

I never shop at Target. I prefer to shop at smaller stores that treat their employess better.