LinkedIn, Pinterest more popular than Twitter

A social media logotype collection of well-known social network brand's placed on modern computer keyboard

(Reuters) - More U.S. adults use LinkedIn and Pinterest than Twitter, but that website attracts a greater proportion of blacks and young adults than do its social media peers, a Pew Research Center study released on Monday showed.

Photo pin-up site Pinterest spiked in popularity over the past year, according to the survey, a poll of 1,445 Internet users aged 18 and older. About 21 percent of respondents said they employ the service, up sharply from 15 percent in a similar survey conducted a year ago.

The figure was 22 percent for LinkedIn and 18 percent for Twitter, holding roughly steady from a year ago. About 29 percent of the blacks surveyed by Pew made use of Twitter, well above 16 percent for whites and Hispanics, the study showed.

Twitter ranks higher than Pinterest in terms of engagement, however: 46 percent of users surveyed go onto the online messaging service daily, versus 23 percent for Pinterest and just 13 percent for LinkedIn.

Industry experts have said Twitter is less intuitive than Facebook and thus can turn off users, curtailing its growth as a mainstream social media platform.

According to a Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted in October, 36 percent of 1,067 people who have joined Twitter say they do not use it, and 7 percent say they have shut their account. In contrast, only 7 percent of 2,449 Facebook members report not using the online social network, and 5 percent say they have shut down their account.

The Pew study polled users of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest - five of the largest U.S. social media services.

About 71 percent of respondents said they used Facebook, up from 67 percent a year earlier and granting it the highest popularity ranking. But some analysts speculate that younger users are gravitating away from Facebook, the world's largest social network, and toward newer services such as SnapChat or Instagram.

"Facebook is the dominant social networking platform in the number of users, but a striking number of users are now diversifying onto other platforms," the Pew study read.

"Pinterest holds particular appeal to female users (women are four times as likely as men to be Pinterest users), and LinkedIn is especially popular among college graduates and Internet users in higher-income households."

(Reporting by Eddie Chan; Editing by Steve Orlofsky)

wlh1923 December 31 2013 at 7:46 AM

Hmmmm, Huffington Post dumped most of its former accounts by forcing them to sign up through facebook. As one of the many thousands who refuse to use facebook as a platform for anything I was disappointed as I said good bye to several years of Huff Post. Maybe they should have given other options.

gjohn411 December 31 2013 at 10:15 AM

Anybody on facebook makes the NSA look like peanuts........

mauimoods December 31 2013 at 2:46 PM

For those not sure about pinterest....not a lot of socializing there. Just pin what interests you and if others like it, they will pin it as well. My collection is mostly wisedom quotes, beautiful pictures, animals, etc. What I like about it is nobody can snoop or collect info from me...they just get to look at my so called photo album. We all pin from each other.
It's like going to the zoo...or a beautufil park. A place to relax and chill out with not having to talk to anyone.

Jennifer mauimoods December 31 2013 at 2:56 PM

I love it! I do communicate with some people I met on that site who have similar DIY interests as I but it is via the email option and not a direct response on a wall. We compare progress in our renovations and exchange tips and advice. I agree with you that it is great to be able to do this without having to give out personal information. Happy pinning!

chckpope December 31 2013 at 10:16 AM

That's only because Twitter went public and they want the stock to tank like FB. The kiss of death for those that buy them.

marcsmpsn chckpope December 31 2013 at 10:41 AM

That's totally not true

Lorraine December 31 2013 at 8:59 PM

Just use what is best for you! The only thing with FB is how they delete and block you. LinkedIn is for for business, yet it is not widely used, and when it is, its only business related not really social

Lorraine December 31 2013 at 9:01 PM

For social silly stuff, You tube, My space and FB, for quick pictures Instagram, for FUN ideas and Life pictures with detailed description PINTEREST.

rhill65 December 31 2013 at 9:41 AM

I dropped Facebook after having security issues and now refuse to use Facebook to validate my online accounts prior to making comments. My internet security is much more important to me than Facebook could ever be!

Rhoda December 31 2013 at 9:30 AM

I don't belong to any of them, also no Facebook for me. I am still angry with HP, forcing me to join FB.

Diogyphus Rhoda December 31 2013 at 9:43 AM

I'm not sure Huff 'n' Puff 'n' Stuff is worth that sacrifice. Not like they're the only, or even a good news source.

phardynetmail Diogyphus December 31 2013 at 10:14 AM

Recently I have noticed the same headlines on AOL's home page for a week or longer. Qithin Huffpost, stories are often recycled from months ago. They have serious editing problems and seem unable to stay current.

Flag 0 rate up
phardynetmail Diogyphus December 31 2013 at 10:15 AM

Within (I have a fat finger)

Flag 0 rate up
phardynetmail Rhoda December 31 2013 at 10:12 AM

I left Huffpost entirely because I refused to open a Facebook account. As has been noted elsewhere, security issues abound on Facebook. I simply cannot afford to be identified (and perhaps threatened) by some of those who use such sites.

anidee9 phardynetmail December 31 2013 at 12:50 PM

I agree........I wrote to the tech dept. to say that I thought it was unfair to force people to do something and they ignored me.

Flag 0 rate up
xesmyers December 31 2013 at 10:53 AM

This is the worst waist of time energy and biggest of all YES, MONEY ! that I have ever seen!

Diane December 31 2013 at 11:10 AM