nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50s247banner041514 network-banner-promo mtmhpBanner
AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Robin Roberts publicly acknowledges girlfriend

Robin Roberts Comes Out, Thanks 'Long Time Girlfriend'

After an incredibly difficult year that included battling a rare blood disorder called MDS and receiving a successful bone marrow transplant, Robin Roberts is looking back on 2013 with gratitude.

In an end-of-year Facebook post on Sunday, Dec. 29th, the 'GMA' host writes:

"At this moment I am at peace and filled with joy and gratitude. I am grateful to God, my doctors and nurses for my restored good health," she wrote. "I am grateful for my sister, Sally-Ann, for being my donor and giving me the gift of life. I am grateful for my entire family, my long time girlfriend, Amber, and friends as we prepare to celebrate a glorious new year together. I am grateful for the many prayers and well wishes for my recovery. I return every one of them to you 100 fold. On this last Sunday of 2013 I encourage you to reflect on what you are grateful for too."

Though the two have been together for 10 years, PEOPLE reports, this is the first time she is publicly revealing the very special woman who has been by her side in sickness and in health: Amber Laign.

Media Bistro reports that Laign is a licensed massage therapist and a San Francisco Bay area native. Laign and Roberts reportedly met through mutual friends.

Robin Roberts Celebrates One Year Since Bone Marrow Transplant

More From You

3764 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
tdcchaswv January 06 2014 at 8:36 PM

If anyone is surprised at Ms. Roberts "coming out", they've had their heads in the sand!! Quite frankly, I've respected her keeping her private business PRIVATE!! IT'S "SEXUAL PREFERENCE"!
We do not need to know,,,to judge,,,to condemn. My personal spiritual beliefs are homosexuality is sin. BUT I'm not her Judge nor her maker, & neither is anyone else. How she chooses to spend her life is between her & her God. She will not meet Him based on what we think of her! God says Sin is Sin...& I sin enough everyday diligently trying to serve and not grieve the heart of God...its not my place to judge the sins of others...We are commanded to love one another & allow God to be seen in us. Jesus detested thievery...but He slept amongst the thieves. Reaching out in love to a heart, a soul, doesn't mean u condone...it means u care about the person. She professes a strong faith & belief in God...His Word is definitive...this is in His hands...& between the 2 of them...not the world. She seems like a wonderful human being...love her for that...not her sexual preference!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to tdcchaswv's comment
jimmieleecappella January 22 2014 at 6:09 PM

Then, I've had my head in the sand:) I had no idea. How could I though? I rarely watched her on tv and if I did, how would I know by just watching her? I knew about her breast cancer battle, but that's all I knew of her. So, I think there are some who had no clue. Me being one of the possible few:)

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
docketcaller January 01 2014 at 9:23 PM

Robin, pay no attention to those negative comments...you are to be admired and loved for your coming out. I have been a fan of yours and will continue to enjoy GMA with you as co-host. May this New Year bring you good health, smooth sailing and a mountain of love. CONGRATULATIONS!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
asp4alices December 31 2013 at 12:43 PM

I will always love & support you Robin, ur amazing, ur life is yours to live as you wish, Happy New Year, #alwaysteamrobin :-)

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
drlloyd55 December 31 2013 at 9:50 AM

It's a shame that Robin has supposedly been bold when sharing her faith in Christ and then behind closed doors she has been practicing the immoral sin of homosexuality. The Bible is clear that this is an abomination toward God and that homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God. Phil Robertson may have said it in a crude way but he was right and he was only quoting scripture. Robin, you can't pick and chose which laws of God you want to obey. You will be judged by all of them and not just the ones you like. Hopefully you will recognize that your life style is immoral.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
2 replies to drlloyd55's comment
regenapaul December 31 2013 at 10:14 AM

drlloyd i could not have said it better. But i would like to add this, it is known in scripture as sodomny, can we enter the kingdom of Heaven with this type of immortality ? no we can't. So with the type of illness Robin has suffered this past year if i were her i would re-think my life style and make some BIG changes!! It makes me want to up chuck just thinking about as a woman and a Christian. I guess praying for Robin would be the approach i would take!!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
asp4alices December 31 2013 at 12:48 PM

Only God sits that high to judge another, we must stop picking which things we want to call out, everyone of us sin everyday, it's funny how we can see another person sin but not our own, God will have the last say in everyone life, I live as you please only God gets to judge, he is the first and the last......

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to asp4alices's comment
FRISKY January 06 2014 at 7:01 PM

Your right only God can judge. It is written man shall not lie with man kind as he would with a woman. Stop being political and stand with God not with world.

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
slarm57 December 31 2013 at 9:11 AM

Wow Robyn why now? Sounds like you were ashamed of your girlfriend and your sexual preference. The Gay population have had decades of heartache and struggle for acceptance. I would have thought being the crusader that you are, you would have come out years ago to help the cause. I see you differently.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Richard December 31 2013 at 9:09 AM

why do gays instead on telling us publicly about their sexual preferences? It is really becoming boring and in many cases, disgusting. I had to sit on a plane listening to the lesbian flight attendant share her coming out story with the two nancies sitting next to me --- for over an hour .... maybe next time, I'll share my story of heterosexual conquests with the gays in return.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
2 replies to Richard's comment
redwingirish December 31 2013 at 9:32 AM

So true! Why would anyone brag about a curable illness they have? The sexually challenged should be seeking mental help for their disease instead they want to pass laws that will NEVER cure them.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to redwingirish's comment
regenapaul December 31 2013 at 10:23 AM

The Doctors have cured the blood disease, but have not cured her soul obviously. And these laws they want to pass will send them straight to hell, unless they repent and ask for forgiveness God is a loving Awsome God he doesn't want us to live in sin and this is sin in the worst way. I think i just might find another station for my morning tv. the other cutie pie that left and moved to Florida with his boyfriend i was happy to see him go and now another one pops up. It is seeming like Good morning America is picking this type of people so as i say i will chose another channel. But i will continue to pray for Robin!!!!

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
jimmieleecappella January 22 2014 at 7:34 PM

Richard, do you realize that every time you talk about your girlfriend or your wife (whichever is applicable), that you are publicly telling others about your sexual preference? If someone is telling a sexually explicit story, I would agree, that is unnecessary, publicly.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
drb107 December 31 2013 at 8:59 AM

So everybody that "comes out" in America will be on the news, why, who cares?

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
Phil Collins December 31 2013 at 8:41 AM

Sad to think People have to come out now a days, why can't we all just get along period.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
tomiplew December 31 2013 at 8:16 AM

Why did she have to say it? It serves no purpose. She lost support. And for Michelle Bottom to applaud her and yet turn her back or kudos on more deserving folks is more disgusting. But hey, she will have an expensive 50th birthday on Jan 17! What a serious joke all of them are.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
1 reply to tomiplew's comment
imjuliasdad December 31 2013 at 4:23 PM

here my take,,,,,,when a woman cant get a man,,this is what they do when a man cant get a woman they start nibbling on a man,,,,,,,,,,,

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
rebelrick9 December 31 2013 at 8:16 AM

Something to read and CAREFULLY consider!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down