Gambler rewards Gerardo Gamboa, driver who returned $300K left in cab

Gerardo Gamboa
LAS VEGAS (AP) - A poker player who left $300,000 in the back seat of a Las Vegas taxi made good on his promise this week, handing over a $10,000 reward to the honest cabbie who returned the stash.

Yellow Checker Star Cab Company CEO Bill Shranko confirmed Friday that Gerardo Gamboa had been paid by the poker player. The cab company also honored the driver's good deed by naming him employee of the year, awarding him $1,000 and giving him a gift certificate to a Las Vegas steakhouse.

It's unclear how Gamboa plans to spend the belated Christmas gift. He did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press on Friday.

The tale, first reported by the Las Vegas Review-Journal, started Monday when Gamboa made a pickup at the Bellagio casino. A hotel doorman noticed a brown paper bag on the back seat and handed it to him; Gamboa thought it was candy.

The driver said he had another passenger by the time he began wondering what kind of chocolates were in the brown paper bag. He peeked inside at a traffic light and spotted the cash.

"I told my passenger, 'You are my witness on this,'" the 13-year taxi driver told the Las Vegas Sun, "and then I immediately called my dispatcher."

Gamboa took the six bundles of $100 bills to the company's main office, where Las Vegas police and casino officials linked it to the poker player.

It took several hours to verify the identity of the owner and return the cash. Authorities aren't identifying the poker player.

Before he learned about the anonymous gambler's gift, Gamboa said he wasn't in it for the money.

"If he doesn't give me anything, that's OK," Gamboa told the Sun earlier this week. "I'm not waiting for any kind of return. I just wanted to do the right thing, and I appreciate what the company did for me."

Vegas Cab Driver Finds, Returns $300K

michaelstavitski December 28 2013 at 3:30 PM

good for that honest cab driver - he should give the 10k back to the poker player to see if he can parlay it :)

rgm012153 December 28 2013 at 2:05 PM

That was the right thing to do

drleebecker December 28 2013 at 2:04 PM

You will never be sorry when your kind and honest. Life is good!

vendelavee December 28 2013 at 1:54 PM

He did the right thing. The money would eventually would have been tracked to him and then he would have been charged with a crime. Ending up fired from his job, and with legal and court fees to pay. Good to see the owner gave him a sizable reward. Alot of wealthy people stiff those who find their lost valuables.

rgm012153 vendelavee December 28 2013 at 2:07 PM

Maybe not if he would have had other passengers

ICantdothat Dave vendelavee December 28 2013 at 2:08 PM

" Alot of wealthy people stiff those who find their lost valuables." Of all the baseless, inane things I have seen posted in "comments" sections, this has to take the cake. How on Earth would you possibly know that??? Your comment is nothing more nor less than mental masturbation.
I won't even address your stupid claim that he would have been faced with a criminal charge had he kept it.

stock market December 28 2013 at 1:50 PM

Could never keep anything even close to that amount. People have worked hard for that money. It is not cheap to play professional poker. You pay your way! If you win, great - when you lose you go back home and start over again. If you have a sponsor, they want their cut.

bj6cats December 28 2013 at 1:45 PM

The cabbie did do the right thing. For himself as well as the gambler. This would have bothered him for the rest of his life if he had not turned in the money. I am so glad the gambler rewarded him.

JULY 15 bj6cats December 28 2013 at 1:51 PM

The gambler? He's a professional poker player, gambler sounds a little condescending. Poker does not involve as much gambling as one may think anyway, it's more of a game of skill.

jwfoust JULY 15 December 28 2013 at 1:57 PM

Poker is gambling. No if, ands, or butts, and I'm a poker player. However your correct. If requires more skill than most give it credit. By the same token I feel the same about stocks. It's white collar gambling with less control, but more legitimacy.

Flag +1 rate up
Gail December 28 2013 at 6:20 PM

Wow honesty in Vegas how heart warmng

LAURA December 28 2013 at 1:34 PM

Mr Gamboa, did the right thing. An honest man doing an honest days work. In Vegas, it's part of the job to cart around people who may or may not have won money. That city is crazy, ( I lived in Vegas for a time). If he had decided to keep the cash, wouldn't you think by then that the poker player would have made a report to the Police and taxi comp.? Sure he would. The taxi co. then would have found out what cab picked him up and questioned the driver, that means that Mr Gamboa would have had to lie if he wanted to keep said money. With all the cameras around, somehow, someway a camera would have spotted this cab driver and then he would be in big trouble. NO, Mr Gamboa did the right thing. He should have gotten more, but thats just my opinion.

amazeika December 28 2013 at 1:26 PM

Kudos to the Cabbie for his honesty. Kudos to the Gambler for his generous reward. Kudos to the Cab company for recognizing a valued employee.

mike711l December 28 2013 at 1:13 PM

That's a generous reward for an honest man.

I doubt I could make myself turn in that kind of scratch.

Daniel McGovern mike711l December 28 2013 at 1:42 PM

That is a terrible reward from a rich professional gambler!!!