What to pack for a beach vacation
Don’t match your bikini to your board in Australia; instead opt to stand out from the crowd in a pretty and sporty plaid swimsuit.
Photographed by Arthur Elgort, Vogue, November 2012
(1) Adam Lippes fringed crepe dress, $1,250; net-a-porter.com (2) Mark Cross Grace box, $2,195; markcross1845.com
(3) Two Crows featuring freestyle art by Welzie custom Lady Log surfboard, $1,400; twocrowssurfboards.com
(4) Giejo Swimlette in Pink Checker, $120; shopgiejo.com
(5) Giejo Mixed High-Waist briefs in Pink Checker, $98; shopgiejo.com
(6) Bumble and Bumble. Tonic Lotion, $20; sephora.com
Adapt to your surroundings in steamy Brazil and wear your python-print swimsuit with platform heels and a touch of gold.
Photographed by Mario Testino, Vogue, April 2009
(1) Stella McCartney snake-print one-shoulder bikini, $256; matchesfashion.com
(2) Mannin Dome 22k-gold ring, $395; manninfinejewelry.com (3) Michael Kors Leg Shine, $10; sephora.com
(4) Chloé leather and metal ankle-strap wedge sandal, $1,120; saksfifthavenue.com
(5) Carolina Bucci Twister set of three gold-plated and sterling silver bracelets, $750; net-a-porter.com
(6) Prada Hibiscus print bowler bag, $1,995; saksfifthavenue.com
If you find yourself off the coast of Africa, a sophisticated take on beachwear is in order. Stick to black and white and look as timeless as ever.
Photographed by Patrick Demarchelier, Vogue, April 2013 (detail)
Let loose in Tulum and play with fun exotic prints while enjoying a tasty tropical juice by the Caribbean.
Photographed by Mario Testino, Vogue, July 2012 (detail)
(1) Oscar de la Renta printed stretch-cotton poplin dress, $990; net-a-porter.com
(2) SCHA soft crochet foldable hat, $350; ronherman.com
(3) Clinique Different Lipstick in A Different Grape, $15; sephora.com
(4) David Yurman petite pavé pinky ring with black diamonds in gold, $4,500; davidyurman.com
(5) Iomoi large classic tote, $148; iomoi.stores.yahoo.net
(6) Zimmermann Drifter floral-print bikini, $279;matchesfashion.com
(7) Express 2-in-1 reversible center stripe belt, $29; express.com
You might find yourself going from the beach to the pool to cocktail hour in St. Barth’s. Be ready for a quick change with a feminine cardigan and a refined pair of flats.
Photographed by Patrick Demarchelier, Vogue, April 2008
(1) Bantu Stir It Up bikini, $160; farfetch.com
(2) Marc Jacobs mixed-print snakeskin Mary Jane flat, $695; saksfifthavenue.com
(3) Kimberly McDonald white geode and macramé bracelet, price upon request; farfetch.com
(4) Valentino Rockstud mini calf hair crossbody bag, $1,775; saksfifthavenue.com
(5) Nina Ricci silk-paneled cotton-and-cashmere-blend cardigan, $675; net-a-porter.com
The holiday vacation season is just on the horizon, and while tickets are booked and hotels reserved, the larger task as to what to pack remains unsolved. Those heading out on a beach trip, simply tossing in a few swimsuits and some sandals will not do. Here, we assembled five looks pegged to your destination-from the poolside-chic vibe of St. Barth's to the laid-back boho nature of Tulum.
More from Vogue:
What to Pack for a Winter Vacation
10 Best Beauty Looks for All Ages
Michelle Obama's Best-Dressed Moments
Best Met Gala Looks of All Time