Target: Customers' encrypted PINs were obtained

Biggest Same-Store Sales Gain Since 2011

Dec. 27, 2013 12:41 PM EST

ATLANTA (AP) - Target says that customers' encrypted PIN data was removed during the data breach that occurred earlier this month.

The company issued a statement Friday that additional forensic work has shown that encrypted PIN data was removed along with customers' names and card numbers. But Target says it believes the PIN numbers are still safe because the information was strongly encrypted. It says the PIN can only be decrypted when received by its independent payment processor.

A PIN number is the personal identification code used to make secure transactions on a credit or debit card.

Data connected to about 40 million credit and debit cards used at Target were stolen between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15.

Minneapolis-based Target says it is still in the early stages of investigating the breach.

rflulling December 28 2013 at 6:08 AM

Wrong there are black hats out there right now, who specialize in decrypting any data for a price. There are decryption engines available that can break most encryption relatively easily. Its only secure at face value but if some one record the stream, they can take their time in figuring out what you have, and that's exactly what is happening. If we have a federal agency on this they had better move quicker this goose is laying eggs, and some one else is getting them.

penrosecottage December 27 2013 at 8:14 PM

Just say no to credit cards and start using cash again. These card companies will learn that they need to change over to digital chips when they start losing money because people are using cash again. If I can't pay cash I don't buy it, I pay cash for my gas too its cheaper that way.

blasthandle penrosecottage December 27 2013 at 9:01 PM

Cash...you want to use CASH...you can't handle CASH...the government can't handle CASH...the last and only ones that could handle CASH was the Mafia...NOW, They Knew how to handle CASH and I mean a lot of IT. You still can't find what they had.

pmrspnj2 December 27 2013 at 3:35 PM

target has pinned a target on 40 million peoples finances and bank accounts with this breach.
now is a good time for them to provide free a years protection from theft online if the want to do business online ever again !
if you must shop there, then go to a store and PAY WITH CASH !

ah1852 pmrspnj2 December 27 2013 at 4:13 PM

It did not happen online, it was done through their stores only. And all the banks have been notified and are on the lookout for anything out of the ordinary. About all that can be done. If you made a credit/debit purchase from a Target store during those dates, contact your bank.

Chelsea Sales December 27 2013 at 3:43 PM

i cannot connect with target , lines busy all the time, how can i check my card, i am .........ttt

mehensley Chelsea Sales December 27 2013 at 4:46 PM

If you have the Target Credit just check your statement
If you used the Debit check your Bank statements
If you used a 3rd Party card check all the accounts related to that card

Ron Chelsea Sales December 27 2013 at 5:58 PM

Can you go to their website?

Tom December 27 2013 at 4:18 PM

I don't understand the huge outcry. Yes there has been a breach, but it's happened before. This is the biggest, but there have been large breaches before. Anyway, as soon as I heard about it and realized I had shopped at Target during that time I canceled my card and got a new one. I changed the PIN, and everything is fine. That's all you have to do. I know it takes a little work to get up off your butt and go do it, but it's better than sitting around complaining and waiting for some unknown person to start using your money.

Bryan Citrowkse Tom December 27 2013 at 4:26 PM

Actually TJmax had a lager breach a while back.

Tim Rogers Bryan Citrowkse December 27 2013 at 7:27 PM

So two wrongs make a right? The larger corporation can't learn from the smaller one? Screw Target. They care only for stockholders. They don't give a Shi* about customers OR employees. They want to run that business as cheap as they can to earn a good PRICE/EARNINGS ratio for their rich (significant) stockholders. You know, the ones who shop on Rodeo Dr and in Manhattan. They wouldn't be caught dead in a discount store with the hoi polloi.

Flag 0 rate up
Ron Tom December 27 2013 at 4:53 PM

I agree, but what will these people do when they don't have someone, something, anything to whine and complain about? Where/ who would they hurl all their idiotic insults and political comparisons at? It's all Obama's fault according to them.

MRBEE Ron December 27 2013 at 11:24 PM

Obama is the problem

Flag 0 rate up
heldt666 December 27 2013 at 5:31 PM

Maybe they should have picked a different company logo, that TARGET is, well, you know, sort of suggestive.

Dean December 27 2013 at 5:00 PM

I've had my credit card number stolen twice and my debit card once in the past 4 years. In all 3 cases, I had no idea how my information was compromised. With this particular Target situation, I used my debit card at Target November 26th, and again December 17th. At least this time, I dodged the bullet.

pbacomp December 27 2013 at 5:00 PM

Better living thru modern technology.......my arse

redrdstr December 27 2013 at 5:13 PM

Oh Boy.

Jeannie December 27 2013 at 3:16 PM

I think this article explains why this is going to keep happening until the U.S. makes real changes in security protection...http://www.aol.com/article/2013/12/22/weak-us-card-security-made-target-a-juicy-target/20793889/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D422789