Selena Gomez reportedly battling Lupus

Z100's Jingle Ball 2013 - Show
Getty

According to an exclusive report from Popdust, the 21-year-old is secretly suffering from the autoimmune disease and has been for over two years. Last week Gomez announced that she was taking time off to spend time alone, canceling the last leg of her tour.

Sources close to the singer told Popdust that Gomez has had many flare-ups recently, leading to joint pain, headaches, fatigue and swelling.

"Selena has been going full throttle the past few years and her Lupus is really catching up with her right now," a source told Popdust. "She knows that she needs to take some time to address the disease and look after herself better if she wants to live a full and healthy life."

The Huffington Post reached out to the star's rep, but replied "no comment" when asked about the rumors.

Check out more celebrities battling Lupus below.

jujumarie1 December 27 2013 at 6:45 PM

Dear Selena, I also have Lupus and suffer silently with soo much pain in my muscles and bones. People don't understand that even though you look good on outside, the terrible pain keeps on going. I know I don't rest enough, I feel when I do I am missing out on life. I will pray for you and all who have it..

Joy jujumarie1 December 27 2013 at 7:21 PM

Same here jujumarie , I have had Lupus for 40 years now, and never now when it will flare. Rest is of course the best course to take. Prayers for a cure soon !

Cailin December 27 2013 at 7:56 PM

Yeah, lupus sucks, but rest goes a long way. Know your limits and listen to your body; this holiday season kicked my butt because I wasn't listening. Good luck to her.

jeweldragon93 December 27 2013 at 8:00 PM

While I don't care for her music and TV/movies, I hope she gets better! She's way too young to have to be suffering with a disease like that!

cugar65 December 28 2013 at 2:41 AM

hope u get well ok i'm not ur fan . i dont know u but i read on aol news i'm sorry . I care ok

Hello GERRY! December 27 2013 at 8:01 PM

praying for you Selena

Booger December 27 2013 at 8:01 PM

Get Well, pretty lady!!!

carmpence December 27 2013 at 8:03 PM

slow down and do what the dr says. Your more important than the fame and money.

nsmith7016 December 27 2013 at 8:06 PM

I have had lupus (Systemic lupus erythematosus) since I was 16. It has been a roller coaster ride. They didn't know a lot about lupus when I was diagnosed but with research and people like Nick Cannon speaking out, more is being known. I have now had lupus over 40 years. It is a very painful and dibilitating disease and life altering. Fortunately, I have been blessed to have excellent doctors who have joined with me in managing the disease. It is very important to listen to your body, take your medications timely, eat good nutrition, get the rest you need, learn to destress and to set your priorities. Most importanly is to learn to say NO. In learning your priorities and limitations you can manage the disease not let the disease manage you. I am glad she is taking the time off to rest. Now her next step is to surround herself with people who have her best interest at heart and will manage her career to the level that she can rest as much as possible. Get a good team of doctors who are specialists in lupus to help her manage her condition. I will be praying for you Salena.

eraualum December 28 2013 at 1:44 AM

Selena, you are in my prayers for improved health.

Elizabeth December 28 2013 at 1:17 AM

HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT SHE IS A KID DOES IT MATTER WHAT SHE DOES SINGS OR WORKS IN AN OFFICE OR A FACTORY THAT IS VERY HORRIABLE OF YOU TO SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT NO ONE WANTS TO BE ILL, I KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS THAT AND THEY SUFFER SO MUCH NO ONE WANTS TO LIVE IN PAIN AND ALL THE OTHER THINGS YOU GET FROM LUPUS THATS A DEADLY DISEASE IF YOU DONT TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF YOUR ARE A VERY COLD HEARTED PERSON TALKING LIKE THAT THEY SHOULDNT EVEN MAKE PEOPLE LIKE YOU COMMENT LIKE THAT, THATS WHY THIS WORLD IS LIKE THIS RIGHT NOW LIKE PEOPLE LIKE YOU IF YOU DONT HAVE SOMETHING NICE TO SAY DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!

eusa101 Elizabeth December 28 2013 at 3:17 AM

I am with you Elizabeth!!!