AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Selena Gomez reportedly battling Lupus

Z100's Jingle Ball 2013 - Show
Getty

According to an exclusive report from Popdust, the 21-year-old is secretly suffering from the autoimmune disease and has been for over two years. Last week Gomez announced that she was taking time off to spend time alone, canceling the last leg of her tour.

Sources close to the singer told Popdust that Gomez has had many flare-ups recently, leading to joint pain, headaches, fatigue and swelling.

"Selena has been going full throttle the past few years and her Lupus is really catching up with her right now," a source told Popdust. "She knows that she needs to take some time to address the disease and look after herself better if she wants to live a full and healthy life."

The Huffington Post reached out to the star's rep, but replied "no comment" when asked about the rumors.

Check out more celebrities battling Lupus below.

More From You

395 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
zygi & paris December 28 2013 at 9:06 PM

It would be wise for this young lady to take some time off. This disease can be devastating if not monitored closely and wisely.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to zygi & paris's comment
blfootball11 December 29 2013 at 8:30 PM

try the test call igenex a lot of people suffering from lupus find its lyme through this 97%accurate test. The standard lyme test created in the 80s and still used today is only 36% accurate prob why most of your docs havent considered it being possible but if you looked into lyme and found its not i hope the best for you

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Kathy J. Duren December 28 2013 at 6:16 PM

I am so sorry to hear this. I have suffered from this disease for 25 years and it is not an easy thing to do. I wish you more good days than bad.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
jrp1947 December 28 2013 at 5:13 PM

I wish her the best of luck and if she keeps her attitude up she will do fine. I would hope those around her that are true friends would encircle her with love and help her keep the stress down. Maybe she does not need to spend time alone but fine someone who might like just sitting on a beach with her relaxing and making her happy. People that are willing to put her first as long as she is willing to try. Good luck to her.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
thomgrisso December 28 2013 at 4:42 PM

I'm Confused!! She turns into a Werewolf under the light of the full moon!!

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
gaurdianslight December 28 2013 at 12:30 PM

if this is true, wishing you all the best. As a swiftie, I know your Taylor's best friend and I know she supports you as much as her fans, me being one of them, do. I may not know much about this Lupus but I honestly from the bottom of my heart wish you the best and like many here are saying...take time for yourself and relax. thoughts and prays to ya

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
wkrank December 28 2013 at 12:03 PM

I'm verry sorry to hear that. my friend and I are supporting you! Good luck!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
pegvg71 December 28 2013 at 11:48 AM

Poor girl....Lupus is very painful. I hope she takes care of herself and doesn't try to push herself anymore. God Bless.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
blfootball11 December 28 2013 at 11:33 AM

There's also no test for lupus they look for an increase of white blood cells and antigens which will show an increase of inflammations due to a autoimmune disorder which is really epstine Barr aka mono which is an autoimmune directly connected to Lyme just to top off my point that lupus IS Lyme and it's not being recognized by the media. Interview me I'll give you a story, a book, and movie.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to blfootball11's comment
Kim December 28 2013 at 12:11 PM

There are a few tests that confirm SLE and there are different types of Lupus but nothing is 100%. There is NO correlation between Lyme and Lupus.More important it is not recognized by the medical professionals as having a connection. I would know... I have been tested for every autoimmune disease there is out there for the passed 10 years.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to Kim's comment
blfootball11 December 29 2013 at 8:25 PM

well chronic lyme wasnt in the medical dictionary till a few years ago and ive been saying its real for 8 years... ive also been invited to the state house multiple times to change the way the medical community views these symptoms and how they diagnose people with diseases that have no treatment or legit test when lyme is actually connected... i would know.. im in plenty of documentaries and i also have helped create create theories that have later been proved to be true facts all relating to lyme. almost 30% of all people with autism have lyme yet the cdc says you cant be born with lyme.. 80% of patients that die from Alzheimer's have lyme in their brains. Doctors dont know everything... if you wanna believe that then just continue to believe you have something that has no treatment and live a life full of suffering and feeling sorry for yourself instead of standing up, fighting for research on a cure, giving other disease with the same EXACT symptoms a possibility, stop saying why me and say why anyone at all and be the change you want to see so others dont feel your pain.You know who else told me i was wrong? TheG.I specialist in Mass..... the ones i later brought to court and proved wrong. The lyme bacteria is autoimmune hence the CHRONIC part of it.....

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
blfootball11 December 28 2013 at 11:12 AM

She replied "no comment" because she obv feels like nobody understands how she feels and no one will but I can relate. She wants to be alone because Lyme makes you feel that you need to be away from everyone because although you look fine on the outside, behind those eyes is pure pain and suffering. Trust me. I know.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to blfootball11's comment
schlauger1 December 28 2013 at 1:27 PM

btfootball: I know too, only with a different problem. I have a bulging lower back disc that is 9-10 on the pain scale, especially when it affects my hip and leg, The rest of the time it's at least a 6-8. I look healthy as heck. When, and I've stopped, tell people what I'm going through their usual response is: "But you look healthy as hell." Would it be more believable if was a gray wisp of my former self?

Annoying. Had an uncle that looked great and battled cancer for 6 years before it took him down. One of the fittest looking men I've ever known. The cover of the book doesn't tell the whole story.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Max December 28 2013 at 11:07 AM

Hello Selena...i have been battling lupus for 15 years...take time for yourself...and make sure to rest when you can...its a day to day battle..so im sure your fans will understand..hugs to you max

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down