AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Lost city revealed as Folsom lake levels drop

Lost City Revealed as Lake Levels Drop

by
What do you call a marina with no water in it?

'It's almost as low as I've ever seen it,' long-time neighbor Frank Wilcox said Thursday.

The City of Folsom is calling that a critical situation.

They've already imposed restrictions on landscape watering as Folsom Lake, at one fifth it's total capacity, is on the verge of breaking a record for low water levels.

Now, citing the driest year in more than 100 years of record keeping, the County of Sacramento is asking its residents to search for ways they can lower their water use by 20 percent.

Meanwhile, people are taking advantage of the rapidly growing shoreline by the lake. As the water goes down, the metal detectors come out.

In the late 1800′s, a mining village called Mormon Island was located at the foot of what would become Folsom Lake. By design, the new lake swallowed Mormon Island when the American River was dammed.

But now, the receding water line has spit the muddy rubble of the village back out.

For amateur archaeologists, it's a rare opportunity. Especially in a time when more traditional forms of winter fun just aren't the same.

"Usually we would be up the hill, skiing or snowboarding- enjoying the snow pack. But it's just not there this year," said one woman, walking the beach with a metal detector.

More From You

299 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Hey Mishka December 28 2013 at 9:17 AM

I grew up in Sacramento and spent summers with friends in high school at Folsom Lake so while interesting, this story is also very sad. I moved to the Pacific Northwest some 35 years ago because of droughts like this, tule fog and rains that reminded me of the monsoons in Asia. I applaud the County's proactive role in dealing with this. And my prayers are with my former neighbors. Merritt Scott (Rusty) Miller aka "Mishka"

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
raptureus210 December 28 2013 at 8:53 AM

If we continue to turn our backs on God, you aint's seen nothing yet my friend!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
lib.not December 28 2013 at 8:08 AM

The Global warming people just love these kind of stories.....

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
findrobin December 28 2013 at 7:56 AM

HAARP look it up and be educated to weather change. You at least be curious to the fact's about HAARP and our loyal government.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
megod December 28 2013 at 7:54 AM

time for desalinization plants to be used for everything but drinking water
all new home construction should have two sources of water. plenty of ocean water to go around

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
Linda December 28 2013 at 7:00 AM

My parents lived across the street from Folsom Lake in CA for years and back 25 years ago or more that lake was drying up then...and it continued to dry up. BACK THEN we knew of this town that was under the lake. You could see things popping up then. I have a piece of wood I found there that was a plank off an old buidling most likely....that place is doomed as the drought has gone on for a very long time. I cannot believe there is any water in that lake but the winter snows melt and water drains into the lake every spring to help raise the level. Still, it cannot be enough to bring water levels back up. Lots of rain is needed for Folsum Lake to survive and good amounts of snow up in the mountains are needed every winter as well to keep Folsum from disappearing totally. The weather obviously changed as far back as 25 or more years ago coz I am a witness to seeing Folsom when it was full and then drying up.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
jbroxcam December 28 2013 at 6:48 AM

First question; what enviro restrictions are there for wells, and water importation?
What species are protected - that stand in the way of water?

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
1 reply to jbroxcam's comment
Linda December 28 2013 at 7:03 AM

Water is metered in CA. I lived there and my parents and sister still do. That state of any state has MORE restrictions on things than any other state I have even seen so to question this state is ridiculous. Unless you lived there you would not know. THEY ARE STRICT.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
the aol experien December 28 2013 at 5:45 AM

Cities and countries all over the world have desalination plants; the US has a few dozen. I guess these idiots in Washington think it’s more important to get that high speed train between San Francisco and San Diego (or wherever it’s going) than have drinking water. They can pump oil 2,000 miles from Alaska but get water from the Pacific 100 miles away from Folsom California (if that’s where this stupid writer is writing about) that’s too hard. Just goes to show us all what fools are in DC representing us, and how stupid the American public is for voting these same fools back in. Maybe we can buy our water from China or Japan like we do everything else.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
georgechevrolet December 28 2013 at 2:48 AM

Oh well, I actually rememberthe days when the town ANDstate were at the top lefthand so people didn't have to read half way through a boring piece before recognizing that "Oh, must be California because it says somewhere Sacramento". And these so called writers passed journalism? How is what I would like to know.

Reply Flag as Abusive +5 rate up rate down
pboucard50 December 28 2013 at 2:47 AM

I hope after 213 years under water, the residents of Mormon island get a chance to dry up, plant a garden and get a great tan before they go back under water, next year.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down