Granny's tweet to grandson got her fame (and a new gig)

Granny Tweets Grandson To Call Her, Now Works At App Company

Square is an app that allows an iPhone, iPad or Android device to accept credit cards ... and the company's most popular employee is none other than 75-year-old Natalie Yellin from Detroit.

She is also Square developer Brian Grassadonia's grandmother. It all started when Yellin was trying to get in contact with her 30-year-old grandson to plan a family vacation to the Grand Canyon. After weeks of trying to get him on the phone, she finally decided to tweet at him.

She got a user name on Twitter (@GrannyNY) and sent the short message 'B ... call me' to Brian at Square. Brian's co-workers got a real kick out of @GrannyNY's high-tech attempt to reach her grandson, and they put the tweet in the company email.

Another person pounded on his window and made him call his grandma. Soon, everyone was following Natalie. She even became something of a consultant, testing their new product. She is actually a retired periodontist-office financial manager.

Though some have called Brian a 'terrible grandson,' Natalie is quick to defend him.

'He's a wonderful grandson,' she says with a smile. 'He was just busy!'

Annette December 28 2013 at 7:43 AM

It is "busy" for some. People marry, take jobs thousands of miles away and it is understandable why sometimes their work carries them so far away from family. But for many modern Grannies, they didn't raise their children as they did years ago around extended family. Daycare took the place of Granny's house while these independent Moms worked. When their little independent kids grew up, they moved far away and raised their kids without them ever bonding with the modern Granny. Kids used to be so lucky to live in a two parent home and with a Granny close by to help raise them. These kids usually stayed close by and close knit and in touch frequently with the Granny they had bonded. You reap what you sow and the reason why some Grannies have to rely on hi tech for a phone call.

constancemj4 December 27 2013 at 11:43 PM

I totally agree. No word from 2 children 3 grandchildren who live a couple thousand miles away from me, on Thanksgiving (giving thanks to what?). Nothing for Christmas either from grandkids. Oldest Son texted. Screw that. Daughter called for Christmas because I mentioned what happened for Thanksgiving. They wouldn't be here without grandma. Out of sight out of mind, I say. I would have never done that to my parents Yep we'll see when no checks arrive from Christmas.... Sent granddaughter ck for birthday, never heard a word. It seems they are more considerate & caring to there friends then old granny.

jakki051 constancemj4 December 28 2013 at 1:37 AM

Sorry granny, I'm a granny too. Best thing to do is get a life and do ALL THE THINGS YOU GAVE UP TO REAR THEM! I've worked with some kids that say they can't catch up with their grandma! Everytime they look up she's going on some kind of short trip. They're the ones fussing for her to just slow down so they can spend time with her! Ha ha! I laughed and thought that was a new twist!

jakki051 jakki051 December 28 2013 at 1:39 AM

Oh I want to add, their grandma was over 80 yrs old and going strong!

Flag +3 rate up
Hi Sandra constancemj4 December 28 2013 at 7:17 AM

Sounds like you and some of the others on here is having a pity party! Why keep calling the very ones that don't want to talk to you? If the only time they call is when you badger them into it, why put yourself thru all tht?

hello samuel December 27 2013 at 7:35 PM

when comes Grannies or Grandies the children or grandchildren should ALWAYS try to find time to answer.
Who knows for how long they will be still around.

ezpickins2001 hello samuel December 27 2013 at 10:58 PM

That goes for Grandads also........

sgregg38 December 27 2013 at 6:35 PM

Im so confused..

nonidarlin December 27 2013 at 5:59 PM

Joytotheworld seems to have the right idea -- something seems to be missing from the children of today.

mesager42 December 28 2013 at 1:12 AM

Sometimes a grandma's gotta do what a grandma's gotta do to get her message across.

jakki051 mesager42 December 28 2013 at 1:34 AM

Ha ha, I bet he takes grandma calls and answer immediately from now on. Grandma is high tech! Hee hee!

chung189 December 28 2013 at 2:56 AM

Dear High-Tec granny, try this next time: call me or I'll call police ! It work on me when my son was in UPenn and didn't call me back for two weeks !!!

ismithrice chung189 December 28 2013 at 8:02 AM

lol... I did a wellness check on my mother-in-law because she let her cell phone service lapse. Ha!! She never did that again!

disfam December 28 2013 at 7:21 AM

is this really news?

judi klein December 27 2013 at 3:25 PM

Leave it to a Jewish Grammie to get attention...Yeah for her

Kate December 27 2013 at 8:25 PM

That was fun, primarily because she's more tech savvy than I am, and I can give her 20 years! Also, I've been in that boat with my son: he has an incredibly high-pressure job with very long hours, and I don't always hear from him right away after an email to him.