10 Easy Ways to Keep your New Year's Resolutions

How many New Year's resolutions have you made in your lifetime, and how many of those have you kept?

Whatever your answer, don't be discouraged. If you've achieved any of your resolutions, you are above the curve, and if you haven't accomplished a single one, you are not alone. While Forbes reports that more than 40 percent of Americans make New Year's resolutions, only 8 percent of those that do actually keep them.

If those percentages are any indication, keeping a New Year's resolution is not an easy feat, so we've compiled 15 simple things you can do to keep your resolutions within reach. Click on the gallery below for these expert-approved tips.

DANTHALER December 26 2013 at 12:49 AM

Just don't make any New Year's resolutions. You put all of this pressure on yourself and are pretty much doomed to fail. Just DO it, whatever it is you want to do, or STOP doing whatever it is you would like to stop. Why do you have to make this formal thing out of it. You KNOW what you would like to change.

pattywalton5 DANTHALER December 26 2013 at 1:29 PM

Nice cat! I'm a dog lover and allergic to cats, but nevertheless, nice cat!

d.carns January 07 2014 at 2:18 PM

Good resolution we can all keep is get Obama and the Democrats out of our lives. 2014

suegeonew16 d.carns January 07 2014 at 4:35 PM

You've got that right d. carns! Lets go Republicans!

fvtreybal December 26 2013 at 1:42 PM

Wonderful! Let's do the same things over and over hoping for a different outcome. I you want to achieve your goals go to this web site.. You will lose all the weight you want without forcing yourself to stick to a diet or using willpower. Do it the easy, natural way. No supplements or gimmicks.
The program developer will work with you personally to ensure your success if you want by sending a email or you can do it all by yourself.

Go Here: http://relaxandloseweight.org/

dccwest December 26 2013 at 2:55 PM

For what it's worth, I kept to my new years resolution from 2013. My resolution was to stop enabling. Those I was enabling are still getting angrier every day after 51 weeks.

tharper001 dccwest December 26 2013 at 4:07 PM

Yeah... reality bites sometimes. I just had a situation come up, and my resolution will be to live life for me and my daughter and simplify it... There's a lot of pressure at work, my parents live several states away, and I just found out that my brother is making the worst decision of his life... yes, he's had his trials in 2013, but now he's losing everything, and has decided that to make his 2 year relationship work with his girlfriend, they are going to up and move to St. Thomas. And he's looking for me to support that... and no way in HELL do I!!! To the point that I did mess up Christmas yesterday for everyone by mentioning this. This decision that the two of them have made are going to affect everyone (both young and old) and they are far too selfish to see this. And far to dumb to realize what they are running from here will follow them... only difference is they will be paying a whole lot more down there with the little money they do have. She is leaving her 18 year old son, who just completed his first semester of college... he is leaving his one and only sister and niece by themselves... We are all completely devastated, but they've asked why we don't just support their decision... So... how does one stop enabling the stupidity (yes, my brother has never made good decisions, but this is unlike anything I ever thought he would do), but still keep the relationships? Do you just have to accept the fact you may never hear from them again, but feel good about the fact that you spoke up???

irishfirpo tharper001 December 26 2013 at 5:08 PM

Here's what you do: You wish them the very best -- and mean it. IF it does not work out (and it may---perhaps they will find something special in each other and make it work) -- then you are there to love him WITHOUT judgment. No "I told you so"s. Your only choice is whether to be a loving sister -- it is not whether he goes or not. He can go with a heavy, judged heart or one that is free to try. Maybe they are making a mistake --but don't compound it by making one yourself. Trust me -- it is better to be loving than judgmental, it will give YOU far less to regret.

Flag +3 rate up
comment814 dccwest January 07 2014 at 5:06 PM

why do you wait to make that change just because the year changes! do it ANYDAY! people are so weird!

Randy December 26 2013 at 2:56 PM

Hmmm.... nowhere in the suggestions was the primary thing that needs to be done.... TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.... don't blame others, don't expect others to do it for you, don't demand others carry you..... the closest the touchy feely article came to it was "do it together" - which is about 175 degrees away from what the true way to keep a resolution is....

hmuhaw Randy January 07 2014 at 9:42 AM

Randy, be nice,,,,how about not comparing yourself to anyone else, you are special and don't need to be like anyone else.

lourdesprice December 26 2013 at 5:20 PM

The thing I would like to say is that in order to be able to stick to your resolutions you need to do one day at the time, baby steps is the way you would see results and at the end of the day don't think of how much more you need to do, or how far you need to go! acknowledge what you have done and how much you have accomplished, be proud of your self! you are you worst enemy or your best friend, be there for you family and friends and the ones that ask for your advice, Have a Happy,Healthy, and prosperous 2014

kvave January 07 2014 at 9:05 AM

Well if its simple things ...you should still be able to accomplish them. Save more $ ? Not likely . With Stagnant Wages for the Past how many Years , except for the top 20 percent , and now "Mandatory" Premiums of 300 a month with 2500 Dollar deductibles for Policies that include Pre Natal Care , evn for MEN ....Good Luck.

One of my "Resolutions" : Keep doing what is best for ME , Not the Illegal Alien , Foreigner , or "Career" Parent

larrymrg2@aol.co January 07 2014 at 11:26 AM

Al Davis, owner of the Oakland Raiders used to say, "Just win, baby". I have a twist on that, "Just live, baby". Just Live!!!

forcoors January 07 2014 at 2:51 PM

Resolutions are stupid. Live your life and use self discipline.

dlatkong33 January 07 2014 at 1:24 PM

Today's my birthday. Feeling fine at age 89. Going to the gym three times a week. Just lucky I guess.

World Series