AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Woman's touching letter reaches husband two years after her death

In one of the most touching stories of the holidays, Des Moines radio station KSTZ recently granted Brenda Schmitz the wish she asked for before the mother of four died of ovarian cancer in August 2011.

Schmitz wrote a letter one month before she passed away, giving special instructions not to send until her husband found someone new. KSTZ, which has been running its wish-granting holiday program for 20 years, made all of Schmitz's wishes included in her heartwarming letter come true in an incredible Christmas surprise.

Woman's Touching Letter Reaches Husband Two Years After Her Death

More From You

236 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
Michele December 23 2013 at 4:48 AM

I just started crying after hearing the beautiful letter

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
rdx1946 December 23 2013 at 4:45 AM

My wife died of Ovarian Cancer it is a terrible way to die. The pain was so bad she was drinking
her pain meds right out of the bottle like chuging a brew. It was a blessing when she passed to
end the pain. I still love her and miss her. She had a wonerful laugh that I can still hear. Meryl
I miss you so much.

Reply Flag as Abusive +8 rate up rate down
dentiom03 December 23 2013 at 4:12 AM

Ms. Schmitz was obviously a wonderful person. I hope her pain was minimal while enduring that awful disease

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
joliemarot December 23 2013 at 3:23 AM

I think this letter shows a thoughtful-loving soul who wanted what was best for her kids and husband. It shows a certain strength to be facing your own death and be able to embrace a future you know you cannot be a part of. Although most people would not do this-I think this lady did it with grace. May she rest in peace and blessings to her family.

Reply Flag as Abusive +9 rate up rate down
oldguyswife December 23 2013 at 3:07 AM

hi

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
kevinhh108 December 23 2013 at 2:41 AM

I am the greatest woman of all time. Broadcast it on the radio and internet so the world will know how great I really am. What an egomaniac.

Reply Flag as Abusive -23 rate up rate down
3 replies to kevinhh108's comment
Skinwalker December 23 2013 at 2:09 AM

God Bless her for being suck a loving soul

Reply Flag as Abusive -3 rate up rate down
1 reply to Skinwalker's comment
kevinhh108 December 23 2013 at 2:44 AM

SUCK? too funny!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to kevinhh108's comment
Trish December 23 2013 at 3:22 AM

SUCK? actually you do

Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
hsummernite December 23 2013 at 1:49 AM

That was just beautiful present...

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
samsma9 December 23 2013 at 1:13 AM

A priceless gift.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
English December 23 2013 at 12:39 AM

I retrived 13 letters from the Montana State archives in 1970. They were written to me when I was in the orphanage in Twin Bridges in 1941+. However, apparently the Adminisator held them back; so as not to break my little heart with promises of mother taking me out of the place....;(

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
1 reply to English's comment
mkountrykidd97 December 23 2013 at 1:58 AM

I have looked at the grounds of the orphanage and would love to have it but I want to reopen it as a large foster family home and do some other things with the other buildings to help the age-out children of foster care. I would love to exchange emails with you to find out some history on the grounds. I also have recently met a writer from Montana that seemed be interested in researching the orphanage history and possibiliy writing a book about it. Please email me and let me know what you would think about this idea. my email is MKOUNTRYKIDD97 @AOL.COM thanks Michelle

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down