Woman's touching letter reaches husband two years after her death

In one of the most touching stories of the holidays, Des Moines radio station KSTZ recently granted Brenda Schmitz the wish she asked for before the mother of four died of ovarian cancer in August 2011.

Schmitz wrote a letter one month before she passed away, giving special instructions not to send until her husband found someone new. KSTZ, which has been running its wish-granting holiday program for 20 years, made all of Schmitz's wishes included in her heartwarming letter come true in an incredible Christmas surprise.

Woman's Touching Letter Reaches Husband Two Years After Her Death

rdx1946 December 23 2013 at 4:45 AM

My wife died of Ovarian Cancer it is a terrible way to die. The pain was so bad she was drinking
her pain meds right out of the bottle like chuging a brew. It was a blessing when she passed to
end the pain. I still love her and miss her. She had a wonerful laugh that I can still hear. Meryl
I miss you so much.

joliemarot December 23 2013 at 3:23 AM

I think this letter shows a thoughtful-loving soul who wanted what was best for her kids and husband. It shows a certain strength to be facing your own death and be able to embrace a future you know you cannot be a part of. Although most people would not do this-I think this lady did it with grace. May she rest in peace and blessings to her family.

English December 23 2013 at 12:39 AM

I retrived 13 letters from the Montana State archives in 1970. They were written to me when I was in the orphanage in Twin Bridges in 1941+. However, apparently the Adminisator held them back; so as not to break my little heart with promises of mother taking me out of the place....;(

mkountrykidd97 English December 23 2013 at 1:58 AM

I have looked at the grounds of the orphanage and would love to have it but I want to reopen it as a large foster family home and do some other things with the other buildings to help the age-out children of foster care. I would love to exchange emails with you to find out some history on the grounds. I also have recently met a writer from Montana that seemed be interested in researching the orphanage history and possibiliy writing a book about it. Please email me and let me know what you would think about this idea. my email is MKOUNTRYKIDD97 @AOL.COM thanks Michelle

jschep3 December 22 2013 at 5:44 PM

What a wonderful thing for her to do.

kevinhh108 jschep3 December 23 2013 at 2:51 AM

The power of the internet. Look at me , I am so great!

Michele December 23 2013 at 4:48 AM

I just started crying after hearing the beautiful letter

dutchhollo December 22 2013 at 9:15 PM

I live alone because I gave all my love to one woman. As the words say,"For better or for worse' .I gave my word and it lasted 58 years and 2 weeks, I now spend time loving to be near my Great Grand Children.

mproviderone dutchhollo December 22 2013 at 9:27 PM

I know how you feel. im single 55 and retired my grand daughter and daughters are my life.if I ever meet someone good but honestly it just seems like younger women are looking for someone to use. and older women want your life to revolve around keeping them happy. and their the only important one. think I will stay single always got my BIKE it loves me.

cookie4020 mproviderone December 22 2013 at 10:04 PM

There are a few of us older women who aren't interested in marriage or living together. I like the idea of cuddling sometimes, after I knew someone of course. It would be nice to have a male friend that I could call & just say "Hey, I'm lonely, want to get together this evening?" So if you meet a lady that you think is sweet or nice or whatever, get to know her. You might end up with a good friend.

Flag +1 rate up
daisy1cow dutchhollo December 22 2013 at 9:29 PM

As did my mother. My father was killed in a construction accident in 1970. I was 3 and their only child. She never dated and when I asked she always told me she took her vows seriously. That was her one an only true love. The last night of my mothers life in 1999, I told her she had raised me to be a strong independent woman and it was time to go be with dad once again. She had waited 29 years to be with him. I would be ok. She died soon after. It has always given me comfort to know that they are together once again.

mproviderone daisy1cow December 22 2013 at 9:37 PM

your mom sounds like one of the last great women,your father and you were lucky to have her. BLESS HER AND YOUR DAD.

Flag +2 rate up
mproviderone daisy1cow December 22 2013 at 9:42 PM

SOUNDS LIKE SHE RAISED A DAUGHTER WITH THE SAME MORALS. YOU ARE LUCKY. AND BLESS YOU TOO.

Flag +1 rate up
schlauger1 December 22 2013 at 8:52 PM

Nobody is meant to be alone, even you had the love of your life.

rmcox63 schlauger1 December 22 2013 at 9:03 PM

Yea? Then why the hell am I alone at 50? Why do I feel like I'm destined to die alone? Hmmmm???

Michael rmcox63 December 22 2013 at 9:29 PM

Well........ from the brief statement you made for the world to view, please allow me to give an outside view looking in. Since you asked, sounds like you are rolling around in your own self pity having a grand ole self pity party. You sound bitter and mad at the world. Let all the negativity and anger go. No one wants to be around that.

Flag +10 rate up
m7le rmcox63 December 22 2013 at 10:00 PM

Well, one thing could be attitude. No one wants to be around some one with a bad attitude. You may be sending bad vibes. Once you can work on that, you may be surprised how things will change for you. Give it a try and I hope you do find some one.

Flag +2 rate up
amykinca December 22 2013 at 8:21 PM

My husband died 19 years ago this month. I didn't plan to remarry and was content in having had a wonderful (if too short) marriage. 7 years ago (next month), I was blessed to marry again at the age of 50. Unexpected beautiful blessings that also arrived with two wonderful step-children.

I certainly don't love Owen less for having married again. I do know that I am a better wife (and person) now than I ever was then -- and I was pretty great then (if I might say so myself). I guess I just feel that life's experiences imbue us with so much more wisdom and allow us to keep growing and thriving. I think of Owen often and thank him all the time for allowing me to be a better wife for David, just by having shared his beautiful life.

? amykinca December 22 2013 at 9:00 PM

what a beautiful comment!

naomic47 December 22 2013 at 8:12 PM

What a beautiful Spirit.

sunon December 23 2013 at 12:08 AM

this is a tale of courage and consideration for the feelings of others not often seen in an age so self absorbed nothing like it has been seen since the French epoch.

markkreutzer sunon December 23 2013 at 12:28 AM

What is the French Epoch?