AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Violence erupts in Germany as protesters defend cultural center

Germany Hamburg Riots

BERLIN (AP) - German police say 22 officers have been injured in clashes with protesters opposed to the eviction of a left-wing cultural center in the northern city of Hamburg.

More than 7,000 people demonstrated Saturday against the eviction of the Rote Flora center, a squatted former theater in the city's Schanzenviertel area.

Hamburg police said some of the protesters began hurling objects at the 2,000 officers shortly after the demonstration began.

They said an unspecified number of protesters were also injured.

More From You

289 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
sekhets4talons December 22 2013 at 2:33 PM

I am German. When the wall fell I said "Do not reunite" but they did. That's when everything got more expensive for the west Germans to support the defunct east. Then came the EU and the Euro and prices doubled. I was against that too. If you can prove you have German ancestors' you can go to Germany and get financial assistance. From the German working people!!!!! Germany is the back bone of the EU. It sickens me to no end! Only the Swiss are in their right mind!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Aquilus Domini December 22 2013 at 1:50 PM

Excellent vagueness aol (and AP), excellent. We know only that a protest was occurring and that some officers were hurt. Nice journalism here, real nice. I'd personally like to know how many protesters were injured and why the eviction was occurring, maybe others that don't know diddly about Berlin and Germany would also like to know what was going on...

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
1 reply to Aquilus Domini's comment
jejozi December 23 2013 at 1:24 PM

Why are you blaming AOL, other than typical AOL bashing? This story originated from the Associated Press (AP) and AOL is just passing it along. And until they KNOW the facts they won't report them. If you want assumption, go to the Faux News site. I'll give you my guess as to why their being evicted; they're squatters! I, personally, would like to see people read and COMPREHEND before commenting.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
kpesile December 22 2013 at 1:45 PM

Oh you poor leftist cry babies. If you didn't waste your lives blaming success maybe you wouldn't have to depend on those who have achieved it. I broke my butt working two jobs most of my adult life to support my family and I never ever thought that rich people owed me anything. Why, I actually admire them.

Reply Flag as Abusive -4 rate up rate down
inxsofspex December 22 2013 at 1:43 PM

If rioters were shot dead at the scene fewer riots would occur.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
3 replies to inxsofspex's comment
Dianne December 22 2013 at 1:32 PM

The REAL story would be interesting ...

Reply Flag as Abusive +6 rate up rate down
strawbuild December 22 2013 at 10:45 AM

Rich person with connections and power screwing the poor, nothing new about this story.

Reply Flag as Abusive -6 rate up rate down
hoofy53 December 22 2013 at 10:12 AM

Leftists expecting to be given something for nothing, ie,squatting on someone else's property !! They are the same the world over !!

Reply Flag as Abusive +15 rate up rate down
3 replies to hoofy53's comment
cbrimb December 22 2013 at 10:04 AM

Other than the headline, this article leaves out more information than it gives. I certainly hope there is an updated follow-up story posted. Poor reporting, IMO.

Reply Flag as Abusive +13 rate up rate down
2 replies to cbrimb's comment
aaldrew December 22 2013 at 10:34 AM

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
jejozi December 23 2013 at 1:33 PM

They passed along what they had at the moment. Breaking news, don't ya know.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
mscttf December 22 2013 at 10:03 AM

Two clarifications, Cicciuno, history itself tells us any forced confrontations will be met with force equal or greater. Imagemakersint, Germany has one of the best economies. This is not achieved by a Government not efficient in resolving issues enabling action and accountability, that has been demonstrated with their successes.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
dianectaylor December 22 2013 at 9:58 AM

Looking at a German site, this has been an ongoing urban renewal-type battle. The developer bought the property from the city of Hamburg in 2001 for DM 370,000 and wanted to sell it in 2011 for Euro 5 million. The Hamburg senate offered only Euro 1 million, an offer that was refused. When the DM was transformed into Euros. it was 2 DM = 1 Euro, so the property owner was looking to make a killing. The Rote Flora center had apparently been there for some time, with the same group using it. http://www.ndr.de/regional/hamburg/demonstration353.html (NDR = Norddeutscher Rundfunk, a normally reliable source of information)

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down