Student with Down syndrome has great reaction to acceptance letter

Boy With Down Syndrome Has Great Reaction After Accepted Into College

'I got accepted?'

In case you haven't heard, Rion Holcombe, 20, is going to college!

Rion Holcombe was accepted into a special needs program at Clemson University in South Carolina, and his mom and dad captured his excitement when he learned he was accepted. Rion, who has Down Syndrome, told WHNS he was really nervous to open the acceptance letter.

He's beyond grateful, saying that the acceptance 'fills his heart with joy.'

The Clemson LIFE program is a special two-year program that allows young adults with special needs to experience college life. Instead of giving out degrees, it teaches students to live on their own. They are given a job on or off campus, and are taught functional courses such as banking.

He will start in August 2014, and we wish him all the luck in the world.

kpamesa December 20 2013 at 7:00 PM

You go Rion!!!! Best of luck to you!

lizbiz December 20 2013 at 8:30 PM

Good for him. More people should experience such real joy in life.

Nicole December 20 2013 at 8:33 PM

They should have classes to teach life skills and banking for everyone as pre-requisites or more in highschool.

msyeshua December 20 2013 at 8:39 PM

How sweet glad he done it

doug December 20 2013 at 8:55 PM

How sweet it is!!!!! So glad to see this story, TY media. TY Clemson, so proud of your actions and course life program......so proud and grateful. The thought of how that program will benefit all of your students, brings me joy. Go Rion...Go Tigers.

BigEd December 20 2013 at 9:00 PM

I think this is a wonderful idea. I have a sister with Down Syndrome. Unfortunately, she'd be much too old to qualify for a program like Clemson's LIFE program.
My sis is employed by "Meals-On-Wheels" and works every day but if there was a program available when she was young she would be able to function more independantly today.
Does anyone know of other colleges/universities offering similar opportunities? I'd like to be able to see if I can help other kids with similar needs.
Thanks for your input.
Ed Mahoney

You've got IT! December 20 2013 at 9:02 PM

He must have worked hard for it, and that is the main thing for everyone, to have goals and to work towards them each day. Congratulations to the student and his parents and teachers!!!!

gina0318 You've got IT! December 20 2013 at 9:23 PM

very nice of you to mention his teachers...it is definitely a success for the whole team!

lexusjones2 December 20 2013 at 9:03 PM

I think this is just amazing. I don't have anyone real close to me with down syndrome so I don't know how it feels but watching his reaction just melts my heart. I love it!

Meryl December 20 2013 at 9:39 PM

So wonderful to see this child's happy face! The world is changing, and children with special needs are teaching us how far they can go! Congratulations to this young man! We have a child with Down Syndrome as well...he is is middle school, so this is very exciting! God Bless!

njrfroggie December 20 2013 at 9:43 PM

An uplifting story like that is perfect for this happy time of year! Congratulations, and more power to you, Rion!

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal