Honda tops insurance industry safety list

Pittsburgh Auto Show
Honda Motor Co. has topped the insurance industry's annual list of the safest new vehicles.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety on Thursday gave 39 vehicles top safety ratings for 2014. That is dramatically fewer than the 130 on the list last year because vehicles now must meet tougher standards.

For the first time, the vehicles need top crash test scores and a good front crash prevention system - such as warning systems or automatic braking - to get its highest designation.

Honda, which also owns the Acura brand, had the most winners of any automaker. Eight of its vehicles making the list.

The list is often used by safety-minded car shoppers and by automakers in advertising.

DANNY & IVANNA December 19 2013 at 7:57 AM

Great product, I love my Civic and Accord. Another tool I get to increase sales, lets go Honda.
If you live in the tri-state area come to the number 1 Honda dealership Paramus Honda and ask for Danny..

Jake December 19 2013 at 7:26 AM

Love my Honda Odyssey from Love Honda.

sarabrocki December 19 2013 at 9:39 AM

Go H0NDA!

msp418 December 19 2013 at 9:55 AM

Had a 2004 Accord with 1 issue. Took it to the dealer when it had 94K miles and they fixed it free of charge. Sold the car with 132K and it is still on the road today. Bought an 07 Acura TL for me(wife drove it to work a few times, now claims it's hers and I only get to drive it occassionally) and have never had any mechanical issues with this auto. Kudos to Honda/Acura !!

Joe December 19 2013 at 10:35 AM

You look at the resale value of all these cars and that's what tells you what the market says is a good, reliable car...and the car that is right at the top when it comes to resale values are Honda's. You take care of a Honda by not beating the crap out of it and it will last for years and years. Ever get 55,000 miles out of a set of front brake pads? Ever see the AC peter out?

Honda is #1 when you compare quality to affordability to reliability to value after 5 years.

Raymond Albanese December 19 2013 at 10:50 AM

I don't know about what other people think but I have a 2010 Ford Taurus and it's absolutely awsome. It's by far the best car I ever owned. I know a lot of cars are built here but the profit goes back to the Orient. By American people.

eddieboyeddie.gibson December 19 2013 at 10:57 AM

What's with all the comments about what car you have and how many miles, article talking safety here, how's yours in a head on ?

Mike and Pat December 19 2013 at 11:12 AM

you take care of it, it takes care of you!

HELLO BJ ! December 19 2013 at 11:16 AM

I own a "92 Accord and a leased "13 Civic. I wouldn't trade that '92 Accord for anything. Just keep up with basic maintenance and your Honda will treat you well.......................that '92 (157K mi) may outlast me !!

superg56 HELLO BJ ! December 19 2013 at 12:55 PM

I have a 92 Honda and would not trade it for any new car....

cdm810 December 19 2013 at 8:50 AM