AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

SantaCon incident all young people should know about

This Saturday night, a few friends and I went to grab a bite at my favorite Manhattan diner.

We had forgotten that SantaCon was happening that day, but were reminded by the gaggles of curiously-dressed 20-somethings trudging past the restaurant window, all looking slightly defeated.

Our conversation moved on until one female diner, just finishing her meal, approached us.

'I don't mean to interrupt, but I just wanted to applaud you for being the only young people I've seen tonight not dressed in Santa costumes,' she said.

We laughed and reinforced that she could always count on us to dress in regular clothes while bar-crawling. Kidding. Kind of.

She laughed, but clarified that that wasn't what she meant.

'People don't realize it, but this is very confusing for children. Not only can they not understand what Santa's helpers are doing out in public, but it's also unclear to them why they keep falling.'

She had us. We were so busy poking fun at people, that we hadn't even thought of the kids. The kids! And we're guessing this year's crop of SantaCons didn't either.

More From You

325 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
jojowhite320 December 17 2013 at 8:06 PM

I'll tell you what Christmas means to most people. It means the Saviors birth. But because it is the Saviors birth and He received gifts we give gifts also. But if you want to destroy another industry in this country then try to do away with Christmas and the retail business. NO more Christmas trees No more Christmas decorations Or Christmas presents. Which is almost all of the profits for retail ,delivery services , businesses who want you to order from them,.No more trips to see family and the transportation businesses And their employees ..Just to name a few So go ahead Say MERRY CHRISTMAS

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
kittenblu December 17 2013 at 5:16 PM

lame...People will think up any excuse to go get drunk.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Hello. welcome December 17 2013 at 10:43 AM

I wasn't sure how to handle the Santa thing when my first child was expected. I didn't want to lie to my child but ... no Santa? We ended up going with the Santa story but also stressed why we celebrate Christmas. We also stressed giving more than receiving. When they outgrew Santa, we offered them the opportunity to become Santa through a giving tree system. Now they continue the same type of thing with my grandarlings. Give tolerance and love for Christmas. Invest in each other.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Hello. welcome December 17 2013 at 9:28 AM

I've seen the commercial with scanty dressed "elves" shaking their belled scanty panties to a Christmas tune. Now drunken Santa's. What are we celebrating again? Ohhh... that's right... Saviors birth...

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to Hello. welcome's comment
Hello Annefrost1 December 17 2013 at 9:34 AM

"The Saviors birth." Just goes to show you what Christmas really means to most people.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to Hello Annefrost1's comment
Hello. welcome December 17 2013 at 9:41 AM

I'm trying to pray for the lost, but they make it really hard! (I'm smiling as I type this, but I am disgusted with most of what I see)

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
crnaford December 17 2013 at 9:13 AM

I come from a different perspective. My mother and father always made it clear as they could that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny were like cartoon characters. While it was fun to imagine they were real as kids we knew that they were not. We ha a great time with christmas with the whole concept of Santa, but be knew that Santa was Dad and Mom.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
xpphil12 December 17 2013 at 8:56 AM

Uh Oh that's a white Santa Claus.How did that ever get by the censors who see racism in everything.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
wataguy304 December 17 2013 at 8:54 AM

Enjoy the holiday and ignore the negative stories....Merry Christmas

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
ashbengabe December 17 2013 at 8:53 AM

Very mature....NOT!!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
bob ster December 17 2013 at 8:52 AM

whats wrong with having kids use thier imaginations ? let em' be kids with thoughts of fantacy , after all what do you thing all those disney theme parks are about ? as for the adults ? it was the worlds fairs that were their fantacy back then ,,and yes some of them came true ..
That's where our great authors , movie script writers , and theater people come from ,, Wild Imaginations and much comes from a Santa , a Bunny Rabbit and a Tooth Fairy ..
How is it you dont mention Holoween ? isnt that some wierd depraved cult worship ?
bob ster

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
notmotherearth_butfathergod December 17 2013 at 8:48 AM

I say let Satan Claus keep lying to the children cause that is all he is about a lie. That every year keeps taking the True meaning away from what Christmas really is about, the Birth of a King!

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
1 reply to notmotherearth_butfathergod's comment
Hello Annefrost1 December 17 2013 at 9:37 AM

I couldn't agree more. My perspective on the Santa Clause issue is ok for fun as long as children grow up to learn the true meaning of Christmas.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down