AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Mother discovers missing son actually died in Lockerbie

Mother Discovers Missing Son Actually Died In Lockerbie
Carol King-Eckersley, 65, gave up her newborn son in 1967 when she was 19 years old and unmarried. Her husband's death earlier this year prompted her to start searching for that long-lost son.

Unfortunately, her search ended with a tragic discovery. She was led to a website honoring 35 Syracuse University students. One face stood out: that of Kenneth Bissett.

He looked just like her father, so she checked his birthday and made the connection. But then she realized the website was a memorial site.

'I said, 'My God. It's him.' But I said, 'Why are they only showing a part of his life? That's not right.' It was right. And I just said, 'My God. My baby's dead.''

It turns out Bissett was one of the victims of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing. He had been flying home after spending a term in London.

Bissett was 21 when he died. King-Eckersley, who lives in Oregon, said it had always been her hope that one day the son she gave away would show up at her door.

More From You

1409 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
luannstyle December 17 2013 at 3:29 PM

sonnysimos, my God who are you? I can not think of something I have ever read as disgusting, distasteful, cruel with just mean spirited arrogance

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
dazey1st December 17 2013 at 1:32 AM

I had taken my small son back to England to live that year and had just gone to get our Christmas tree. The country was horrified at the tragedy and many of us felt so sad and it seemed wrong to even celebrated Christmas. The plane went down in Scotland killing all on board and crashing into houses as it fell from the sky killing people and children in their homes. Of the terrorists that committed the atrocity only one man was eventually charged and sentenced. It was believed that there were four and choosing an important Christian holiday was their aim. After spending many years in jail he was released back to Libya on the grounds that he was dying from cancer and didn't have much time left. He actually lived for quite a long time benefiting from free health care (first received in England) then a nice place for a conquering hero in Libya. The outcry of the people in the UK fell on deaf ears. Justice for those that lost their lives, I think not. My deepest sympathy to Carol.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
proteus12544 December 17 2013 at 1:25 AM

Might be good to try to find his adopted mother. They may be of help to each other. They each lost the son they loved. This woman may not have raised him but she did something that I don't think I could do and that is admit her baby deserved better than she could give him at that time and let him go so he could have a better life. I have adopted 3 children from foster care so not exactly the same situation but every night I pray for the birth moms of my children and thank them for giving birth to my sons.

Reply Flag as Abusive +6 rate up rate down
1 reply to proteus12544's comment
jasminefraser December 17 2013 at 1:30 AM

Sadly she can't. I looked up his page and they passed in 2003. He may not have even known he was adopted...

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
markza5 December 17 2013 at 12:36 AM

I never ever post comments. I feel sorry for this lady but the fact she waited till husband to die and look for son to fill the void is enough said right there. I am not trying to be negative

Reply Flag as Abusive +7 rate up rate down
3 replies to markza5's comment
eileensmith57 December 17 2013 at 12:26 AM

My sympathies for Carol during this time.

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
rojanc2 December 17 2013 at 12:20 AM

did not mean to offend and definitelynot to judge,

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
manetta29 December 17 2013 at 12:17 AM

Life has many tragedies, this is one of them.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
DEBORAH December 17 2013 at 12:13 AM

I hope his short life was a happy one.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
Barbie December 17 2013 at 12:06 AM

This is so sad, I am so sorry for your loss…

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down