Mother discovers missing son actually died in Lockerbie

Mother Discovers Missing Son Actually Died In Lockerbie
Carol King-Eckersley, 65, gave up her newborn son in 1967 when she was 19 years old and unmarried. Her husband's death earlier this year prompted her to start searching for that long-lost son.

Unfortunately, her search ended with a tragic discovery. She was led to a website honoring 35 Syracuse University students. One face stood out: that of Kenneth Bissett.

He looked just like her father, so she checked his birthday and made the connection. But then she realized the website was a memorial site.

'I said, 'My God. It's him.' But I said, 'Why are they only showing a part of his life? That's not right.' It was right. And I just said, 'My God. My baby's dead.''

It turns out Bissett was one of the victims of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing. He had been flying home after spending a term in London.

Bissett was 21 when he died. King-Eckersley, who lives in Oregon, said it had always been her hope that one day the son she gave away would show up at her door.

mouse December 16 2013 at 3:19 PM

I can't believe the mean comments because she gave up the baby. SHE HAD THE BABY AND GAVE IT UP FOR ADOPTION! She didn't have an abortion or go on welfare. She did the thing that so many people want young women to do, have the baby and give it up.

pboucard50 mouse December 16 2013 at 4:34 PM

Wow ! What beautiful and holy choices: give the baby up, adoption, abortion or welfare? Should have tought about it when she was having sex and moaning "Oh God!"

tlrgjk6842 December 16 2013 at 3:34 PM

so SORRY

jerryhicklen December 16 2013 at 1:03 PM

i know how it must feel from from the other wide of being adopted I so wished ny own father would of come seeking me but sadly he died during the Vietnam era and Stikes there. i do feel for her but then I do not. i would be outraged at one whom would of waited for so long. I found out that I was adopted in 81 and my own mother never even told me that I had a sister via my Fathers 2nd marriage nor that other realtives were all living still. what hurts the most is that from that name I was born with "hendrick" i remember and was close to Great Grand mother and my mother told me she had died and she did not till 5 years after i found out that I was adopeted! that alone with many other thing has kept me agner ed to this very day! Adoption is fine if you are true and share with the kids of it but do not lie and not tell them anything! after all those othrs out in the world have thought and remember them and they have a right to know whom they are and whom they are from!

jethess777 December 16 2013 at 3:36 PM

RIP to this fine young man who died needlessly at the hands of terrorists. God bless his wonderful biological mom who obviously kept love for him in her heart through all the years. And also God bless his adoptive parents as well who did a fine job raising him.
Also, as both a biological and adoptive parent, I wish some people would stop to think before they post. No one needs to read some of the nastiness expressed here or on any other blog.

stacimims jethess777 December 16 2013 at 3:45 PM

I agree, the comments being made against the biological parent are disgusting. This woman did what she thought was best for her son at the time of his birth. As the wife, niece, sister-in-law and cousin of adoptees, I believe adoption is a beautiful gift the biological parents give to the adoptive family that may never be able to have a child any other way. I hope this mother finds peace in her discovery, maybe she can reach out to his adoptive family to get some of the answers she is looking for.

Shorebirdjoan December 16 2013 at 1:01 PM

So sorry .At least you know he had a good life and was doing well. Want to give you a hug. Times have changed and thankful for that...

hdmcusmc December 16 2013 at 3:44 PM

May GOD bless you this holiday season and through the years to come. My heart and thoughts go out to you. You had the courage to look for a life you couldn't handle at the time, you gave your baby a chance in life. The only way I beleive in abortion is from being molested or raped. I am so sorry for the loss of your husband & son. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

pboucard50 hdmcusmc December 16 2013 at 4:08 PM

You really think god is going to bless anyone when he didn't care to prevent her from dumping the child? Pregnancy is a possibility of having sex, people need to think beyond 3 or 4 beers. Dumping a child is not an act of valor. Animals don't do it.

pooh3059 December 16 2013 at 3:58 PM

Ms. Eckersley, I knew Kenneth's mom "Flo" from a local grocery store that she worked at.
My son was just a year old in 1988 - Flo loved to talk to my son every time we went to her counter to order a mozzarella cheese. She would tell him about the toys she had at home that used to belong to her son - little matchbox cars, etc. She was always spoke of Kenneth in the past tense and I asked her one day why that was. She told me about the tragedy of how she lost him. I can assure you that she loved that boy with all her heart, and looking at my son made her remember her little boy. You could see by the pain in her eyes - he was heart. You can find peace knowing that.

Jacquie December 16 2013 at 4:00 PM

The Young man in question appears to have been a worthy person,his biological Mother thought enough of life to give him to adoptive parents,his adoptive parents according to records did a loving job of parenting . If you cannot find anything redeeming in their actions I suggest you look long and hard at you response and see what your own problem is. As for the biological Mother, (In the spirit of love for a fellow a human being),may this knowledge bring closure and realization that he was special young man ,sought higher learning and was a credit to his parents

kingcharles2000 December 16 2013 at 4:17 PM