Dow Rallies 129 Points, Rite Aid Continues Stellar Run
Although we don't believe in timing the market or panicking over daily movements, we do like to keep an eye on market changes -- just in case they're material to our investing thesis.
For the next two days, the fate of Wall Street will lie in the hands of the policymakers at the Federal Reserve. The last major policy meeting of the year -- a two-day event that begins tomorrow -- should be revealing. By Wednesday evening, we'll know whether the central bank plans to rein in its $85 billion monthly bond-buying program or continue it into 2014. Judging by the performance of the stock market today, investors weren't too concerned about the Fed's intentions. The Dow Jones Industrial Average added 129 points, or 0.8%, to end at 15,884.
Only one in 10 Dow stocks had the nerve to fall on Monday, and Walt Disney wasn't one of them. Shares added 1.3%, continuing what has been quite the magical year for Disney's stock, which has enjoyed a 41% run-up in 2013. Although the dismal performance of the Johnny Depp film The Lone Ranger is a blemish on the company's otherwise stellar year, recent successes like the new animated Frozen movie are making up for the flop.
Elsewhere in the services sector, Rite Aid shares tacked on 4.3% as the stock benefited from the secular rise in the market today. Rite Aid stock has been about 70% more volatile than the broader market recently, an aspect of the stock that investors have been thankful for this year, as shares have more than quadrupled in 2013. With pharmacy revenue making up around 60% of drugstore revenue, the other 40% of sales have been harder to come by and pressured lower by promotions. We'll get a better glimpse of Rite Aid's financial health on Thursday, when the company reports quarterly earnings.
Finally, department store Sears Holdings saw shares fall 2.7% as fallout over the company's decision to spin off its Lands' End segment continues. In the five sessions since Sears announced the decision, which aims to shore up capital in order to make the company more liquid, shares have fallen 7.6%. Even Chairman of the Board Eddie Lampert is cashing out of this one, having recently forfeited his controlling interest as he cut his ownership from 55% to 48%. Any business that sees the need to sell off its most lucrative units in a desperate turnaround effort is a risky bet in my book; I'd like to see sales start trending higher again before betting on a Sears Christmas miracle.
Secure your future with 9 rock-solid dividend stocks
The market has gone gangbusters this year, bringing attention to flashy growth stocks and hot new IPOs. But dividend stocks can make you rich. It's as simple as that. While they don't garner the notoriety of high-flying growth stocks, they're also less likely to crash and burn. And over the long term, the compounding effect of the quarterly payouts, as well as their growth, adds up faster than most investors imagine. With this in mind, our analysts sat down to identify the absolute best of the best when it comes to rock-solid dividend stocks, drawing up a list in this free report of nine that fit the bill. To discover the identities of these companies before the rest of the market catches on, you can download this valuable free report by simply clicking here now.
The article Dow Rallies 129 Points, Rite Aid Continues Stellar Run originally appeared on Fool.com.Fool contributor John Divine has no position in any stocks mentioned. You can follow him on Twitter @divinebizkid and on Motley Fool CAPS @TMFDivine . The Motley Fool recommends and owns shares of Walt Disney. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.