General Motors names product chief Mary Barra as new CEO

DETROIT, Dec 10 (Reuters) - General Motors Co on Tuesday said Chief Executive Dan Akerson will step down next month and be replaced by Mary Barra, the company's global product development chief, marking the first time a major U.S. automaker has been led by a woman.

The company said in a statement that Akerson, who is also the chairman, will leave on Jan. 15, pulling ahead his planned departure by several months. His wife was recently diagnosed with an advanced stage of cancer.

Barra, 51, the executive vice president for global product development, purchasing and supply chain, was elected by the company board as the next CEO and will become a director. Theodore Solso, 66, will succeed Akerson, 65, as chairman.

This is a developing story, check back for updates.

oakwood162 December 10 2013 at 10:21 AM

I hope this is what American auto mfgs need for a change BECAUSE the men have let foreign auto makers run over the US makers.

dogb0ne8 oakwood162 December 10 2013 at 2:25 PM

Those foreign companies are run by men.

en4j December 10 2013 at 12:34 PM

ahhhh, political correctness at its finest

llmoss13 December 10 2013 at 2:13 PM

Gosh, with $20 billion of taxpayer money not having to be paid back. I'd guess you have a pretty good start on success.

I will never buy another GM product again. I hope it all comes crashing down around your feet.

Randy llmoss13 December 10 2013 at 3:54 PM

We don't want morons like you to buy GM!

edgehlert41 llmoss13 December 10 2013 at 4:16 PM

It was 10 Billion: Caddy is MT car of the year- beating out BEEMER,MER. TOYOTA,HONDA.

Robin December 10 2013 at 10:16 AM

My husband has NEVER been allowed to purchase an automobile that I didn't fully approve of. This has been a long time coming.

liemc December 10 2013 at 1:57 PM

998, You’re an idiot. Read some history, it was the Republican Congress that gave woman the right to vote, after Democrats voted it down. It was a Republican Congress that approved emancipation for the Blacks & it was a Republican Congress that was the majority vote in the Civil Rights Legislation of 1960's. There are more Republican woman Senators & Congress persons today then Democrats. Quit acting like a moron & educate yourself.

Paul Castle liemc December 10 2013 at 2:39 PM

The reading of history is too time consuming for the left. They would rather make false statements and blame it on others when caught. You know like the man himself.

Mr. ROC liemc December 10 2013 at 2:43 PM

Very good! Your facts are true....but the "left" will not be confused with the truth. What has Pre. Obama's adm done to improve the economic plight of the under-class in this country? i.e black communities? Has he ever visited any of the depressed areas of this country....white or black? Has his adm closed any of the tax loopholes that let companies and individuals from paying theirr fare share of taxes? Do we have an accounting of where the the stimulus money went???? When is the last time the Red Reserve published an M-3 report? (amount of all currency printed and or in circulation).

Edward T Tobin December 10 2013 at 1:51 PM

Goodbye GM :)

liemc December 10 2013 at 1:47 PM

What difference does it make who or what they make CEO of GM as long as they do Obama's bidding he will make sure the taxpayers bail them out.

Joe Laraneta December 10 2013 at 12:31 PM

Welcome to Government Motors offspring

wanda December 10 2013 at 11:15 AM

she will probably run it in to the ground like that woman did with saturn and blame others. gm needs to revamp and treat their employees better.

jsmith120313 wanda December 10 2013 at 11:51 AM

Right -- GM is in trouble -- their stock is doing poorly, their quarterly profits are on decline, labor costs are rising, they are now #5 in autos with "made in US parts" (FORD and TOYOTA are #1). GM closed 12 US plants, moved 60,000 jobs to China, Mexico and Japan. GM closed 100s of dealerships costing communities 10,000s more jobs.
Sorry but I just cannot stomach buying GM autos. I will support FORD which restructured without a penny of taxpayers dollars and is doing well and paying a stock dividend as thanks!!

DanD December 10 2013 at 10:27 AM

I have NO PROBLEM with the company being led by a woman, and if you think back, they didn't do so hot under the mans leadership, did they? I have been a "Chevy man" my entire life, but have stopped buying them after my wife reminded me of how many times every Chevy I have EVER owned broke down, or had serious problems because of poor workmanship and materials. (I couldn't argue there….) AND, I AM A CAR GUY, that can fix anything, and that does my own maintenance. THEY HAVE BEEN JUNK…..