26 awesome photos from the NFL's snowy Sunday games

Snow seemed to be almost everywhere during week 14 of the NFL season -- from the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field to the turf at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, players were slipping, sliding and frolicking through winter wonderlands all day.

With Super Bowl XLVIII fewer than two months away, perhaps the football gods were giving us and NFL officials a look at what the game at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands in New Jersey might look like on February 2, 2014. Remember, back in August, the 197-year-old Farmers' Almanac predicted a winter storm will hit the Northeast around the time the Super Bowl is played. At the very least, a host of players got a tuneup on Sunday for a Super Bowl in the snow. Here are some memorable photos from games around the league.

diobuca December 09 2013 at 4:40 PM

If the Superbowl is anything like the Eagles/ Loins game it will be a great game. Played the way it was meant to be. A real tribute to all that played before Domes

Mike December 09 2013 at 4:39 PM

don't want a snowy superbowl. We want to see the teams at their best without the weather being a huge factor. Much as i don't like Pete Carroll, the Seahawks would be the favorite if it was in a dome. If the weather sucks, I'll take New England, I guess...My teams are Miami and TB. Even if the Dophins sneak in, they are going nowhere.

Jay December 09 2013 at 4:46 PM

The Eagles were awesome on Sunday......They played better in a snow storm than on a dry field....if that's what it takes then let it snow....let it snow.....

mrphilly December 09 2013 at 8:38 PM

go eagles go!!!!!!!!!!!

rlw71345 December 09 2013 at 4:51 PM

They won't learn. The fans, that have to sit out in the inclement weather, at $5-6-7-800.00 + per ticket,
won't enjoy the game as much as the people in the luxury boxes( who can afford it), unless they are selling hot beer.This was a political move, for what reason, I don't know, but I'm sure the Giants/Jets make money off of this. Last, the weather, if bad will affect the game, and the best team might not win, because of it.

sitonmyshamrock2 rlw71345 December 09 2013 at 5:15 PM

Who cares about the weather? The people going to a Super Bowl aren't regular fans anyway.

dreamz777 rlw71345 December 09 2013 at 8:38 PM

Super Bowl tickets run in the thousands.

Alicia December 09 2013 at 5:09 PM

I would first like to point out that the Ravens/Vikings game didn't get shown until pic #17 - we didn't get intense photos shown of our game like the other teams did and lastly, though I really like Bruno Mars, I hope Superbowl is cancelled this year. Then maybe, stadium/team owners and the NFL will realize how stupid it is to have open air stadiums in the more snow prone regions. I doesn't have to be a domed-stadium all season if they just install a dome that can open and close as the weather permits. JMO -IJS! I like football. Even though players sign up for it, the torture they and the fans have to endure, is absolutely ridiculous to me and the money that goes into it, is absolutely absurd, especially when there are so many things that need to be fixed in this country Same for other sports. We aren't in a recession, we are living in a selfish time where people selfishly overspend on things they can't afford.

I'm done!

tjoasmd December 09 2013 at 5:20 PM

Once upon a time, all there were NO domed stadia. Games were played in the "all together" !

billndenagray tjoasmd December 09 2013 at 5:44 PM

Loved it then! Called it "Madden Football"... Rain, mud so thick you couldn't tell the jersey numbers or yard lines, blood mixed with snow !, Aaahhhh the good old days of dootball!

dreamz777 December 09 2013 at 8:30 PM

Cities that don't have a dome shouldn't even be considered to host the Super Bowl.

kjpargolf December 09 2013 at 8:25 PM

I hope they have 5 feet of snow for the Super Bowl.

spongedoc December 09 2013 at 8:21 PM

I don't know what all the fuss is . I was getting sunburned in 82 degree weather at the Tampa Bay Bucs game .