Holiday party style dos and don'ts, inspired by our favorite celebs
Thanksgiving is now over, and we've got holiday style on the brain. Once we've had our fill of turkey, the seemingly endless parade of festive cocktail hours, work parties and fundraisers begins. The "what to wear" question is looming over our heads like that giant Snoopy balloon-so we've turned to our favorite stylish celebrities for inspiration.
- Embrace the long-sleeve mini dress. It's sexy without being overly revealing.
- Be afraid to mix textures. Velvet is on-trend this winter, and fur is the perfect decadent topper.
- Try a unique piece of jewelry, like Jennifer Lawrence's hand cuff.
- Underestimate the power of sophisticated sequins. A long, lean, gown in sparkling champagne tones is perfect for a formal holiday affair.
- Keep it classy with your cleavage. A low-cut neckline works with a long, simple black dress.
- Forget that black tights can make many of your summer dresses wearable into the winter months.
- Try a two-piece matched set instead of a dress, like Zoe Saldana.
- Be afraid of color -- even a bold, bright pink works during the holidays.
- Pair stunning earrings with a conservative neckline and an updo that shows off both.
- Limit yourself to dresses only -- a great blouse and trousers can feel just as fabulous.
At the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, Taylor Swift rocked a major "do" in the form of a long-sleeved sequin mini dress. The form-fitting frock was sexy without being too revealing-a perfect contrast to the scantily clad angels on the runway.
Oscar De La Renta's Erika Bearman shows us how to expertly mix textures for a festive holiday look-her long velvet gown pairs perfectly with a white fur coat and colorful (possibly also furry) clutch.
As she tours the globe promoting Catching Fire, Jennifer Lawrence is experimenting both with a new haircut and lots of unique jewelry-most notably what we can only describe as a "hand cuff" which is like a gorgeous, sparkling bracelet worn around the hand, instead of the wrist. And speaking of jewelry, take a page from Diane Kruger's playbook and pair a conservative neckline with killer earrings.
In the slideshow above see our best celebrity style dos and don'ts for looking great this holiday season, from matched sets à la Saldana, and head-to-toe sequins like Duchess Kate.
More from Lifestyle Mirror:
Black, white and sparkle all over: 15 outfits to inspire your holiday style
15 chic stocking stuffer gift ideas
What's in a name? Personalized gift ideas for women