NJ boy who died of cancer getting police funeral

Click here for more news on AOL.com

Police Funeral For 10-Year-Old Honorary Kid Police Chief

RIDGEWOOD, N.J. (AP) - A 10-year-old New Jersey boy's coffin has arrived at his funeral with bagpipes playing.

Michael Feeney was named honorary police chief for Ridgewood for 2013 before he succumbed to cancer last week. He is being laid to rest Tuesday with funeral service honors usually reserved for members of the police force.

Ridgewood Police Chief John Ward came out of the church saying "I lost a partner today" and that adults could learn from the boy.

The Hawes Elementary School fifth-grader was running for office at his school and was a huge New York Giants fan.

Feeney had been struggling for four years with Ewing's sarcoma, a rare, aggressive and often fatal bone cancer that usually develops in children and young adults.

Click here for more news on AOL.com

JANET December 03 2013 at 6:53 PM

R.I.P MICHAELFEENEY

wurkinman1 December 03 2013 at 6:36 PM

Great job guys...a little can go along way. God Bless You Michael..R.I.P.

twisted8138 December 03 2013 at 6:36 PM

Kudos to that police dept. What a beautiful thing to do. Rest in peace young man.

wga December 03 2013 at 6:33 PM

God bless the Chief and the officers who were a great comfort and encouragement to this young man....my prayers are for comfort for the family... God bless you all..

Neshamah December 03 2013 at 6:32 PM

Parents should never bury their children… deepest sympathies for your loss mom and dad -such anguish is indescribable. And warmest regards to the Ridgewood PD for offering a drop of sweetness, to dignify the bitter reality of our human experience; at times, people can be so kind.

Finally, it’s refreshing to see an article depicting the police in a positive light; there are so many good officers, shame to focus only on the bad.

mickmantlej December 03 2013 at 6:31 PM

What an Awesome thing to do....Kudos to the Police Department. My prayers and thought are with Michael's family and friends....God Bless you Michael....

sjguu December 03 2013 at 6:30 PM

I am from Paramus, the next town over; I believe I have read of this boy in a local paper. Great job, Ridgewood! Condolence to those—all of us, really—who lost Honorary Chief Feeney too soon.

TIME TO WANDER December 03 2013 at 6:26 PM

Michael: You are a true angel and sent here to show people they can and should live in peace. Your parents were so blessed to be chosen for you by the Lord. Thank you for your bravery and your energetic faith. Say hello to my grandson Brandyn when you see him. Manyh prayers for all of your family..... Grandma Lana

DOTLIV December 03 2013 at 6:25 PM

God bless him and his family and friends. May the grace of the Lord be with you and carry you through to try to understand and cope. God be with you all.

Joel December 03 2013 at 6:24 PM

What a wonderful way to honor a brave young man. I cried as I read this story. I dont live in NJ, I wish that all people, no matter where you may live, read this. I am sure that there will not be one dry eye. It was truly a wonderful to remember this child, you have a lot to be proud of......now let me find a tissue to dry my eyes