AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Official: Amtrak Crescent derails in SC, 4 hurt

Click here for more news on AOL.com
Superstorm
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) - A fire official says several cars of the New York-bound Amtrak Crescent carrying 218 passengers and crew has derailed overnight in South Carolina, leaving four people with minor injuries.

Spartanburg County Deputy Fire Marshal Tony Barnett told The Associated Press that the derailment of the Amtrak 20 train from New Orleans occurred at 12:10 a.m. Monday about six miles south of Spartanburg. He says there's no immediate word on the cause and all seven derailed cars remained upright.

He says four passengers with minor injuries were taken to be checked at hospitals. He says those remaining among 207 passengers and 11 crew are still aboard with full power, food and drink. He says passengers will be bused from the train elsewhere.

The Crescent has train has two locomotives and nine cars.

More From You

47 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
ramesh.pradhan November 26 2013 at 12:47 AM

I appreciate the technological excellence of the Amtrak train, in that, for such a high speed vehicle, there were only 4 injured persons in the accident, out of the 218 on board. Rail accident records from elsewhere in the world show hundreds dead and totally mutilated train bogies. It is either a surprise or a miracle that, all seven derailed cars remained upright.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Joan November 25 2013 at 1:00 PM

Oh my I used to live in Spartanburg, S.C. I will pray for them God bless them

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
nohmadd13a November 25 2013 at 12:46 PM

Wow not far from where I live. Bett they are doin better than airline p[passengers would be. Really glad no one got killed, or seriously injured. wonder which line they were on as if they are on the main through here it will shut down the inland port till the tracks are cleared.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
tac790 November 25 2013 at 11:45 AM

sometimes i get booted off 2 or 3 times in one session when iam on aol. It says restarting aol but never restarts i have to sign back on myself. WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN?

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
1 reply to tac790's comment
Bitter Twitter November 25 2013 at 12:52 PM

It happens to me two or three times a day - AOL ain'' what it used to be!

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
bob3106 November 25 2013 at 11:38 AM

who are you

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
tony72ss November 25 2013 at 11:33 AM

Another Government run program .... at it's finish..................... ay you want OBAMACARE ....

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
2 replies to tony72ss's comment
robteck November 25 2013 at 11:45 AM

Yeah, I can see the linkage to OBAMACARE. Tool.....

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
hussartworks November 25 2013 at 11:56 AM

Dude, get a real job.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
tac790 November 25 2013 at 11:31 AM

why do i keep getting booted off aol?

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
1 reply to tac790's comment
rohlemeyer November 25 2013 at 11:38 AM

You're probably not saying the right things.

Reply Flag as Abusive -1 rate up rate down
brn7480 November 25 2013 at 11:02 AM

Here is another question. Why do the trains in Great Britain, and all over Western Europe function so well? I only mentiion these countries because they are the only systems I have had experience with. I live in SC,USA, so I am familiar with Amtrak as well. I absolutely love riding the trains and city transportion in England and Germany,Italy,etc. My trips have always been made more pleasurable knowing I could depend on the bus,train,etc. Why do we not offer the same in the USA? We are a great country! We just can't seem to get healthcare and riding the rails right!!! Sorry America, I can only speak from past and current ( twice in 2013) experiences.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
2 replies to brn7480's comment
rohlemeyer November 25 2013 at 11:39 AM

I like driving around in a car better, because it goes specifically where I want to, when I want to.

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
mlrohrkemp November 25 2013 at 12:20 PM

A couple of things come to mind ... first, in Europe, everywhere is much closer together -- trains are actually more "efficient" than flying -- here, the distances/time involved make flying more "efficient". Second, we used to have a passenger rail network that was really first rate, but once most people started to fly (to save time), the railroads (and each railroad ran its own passenger service) began losing enough revenue as to be un-profitable. Amtrak was formed by the government so that passenger rail service would not totally disappear. In Europe, the railroads are all Nationalized (run by the government). Third, Amtrak is low priority (even freight trains have higher priority) and the route coverage is very minimal (the trains don't go where many people aren't interested in going).

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
brn7480 November 25 2013 at 10:55 AM

Recent conversation with family about welfare and working poor..... the point....... Our infrastructure in this country is not only abysmal, it is dangerous. When my dad was a young man of 19 yrs old, he worked in Oregon with the WPA. That program helped our country's unemployed in the 1930s'. He told us about it for years Why can't we look back at that program and perhaps put people to work on the rail,bridges and roads? Trains are running on dangerous tracks, bridges are crumbling, is there a reason WPA isn't feasible now?

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to brn7480's comment
tmspitrow November 25 2013 at 12:00 PM

IT MAKES TO MUCH SENSE,THATS WHY.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
cary November 25 2013 at 10:54 AM

This is nothing. When we have high speed rail in CA, the crashes will be horrific. Dead undocumented Democrats everywhere.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down