What does Michelle Obama say is her biggest fashion faux pas?
According to First Lady Michelle Obama, the one thing she regrets having worn in public since being in the White House was casual shorts in 2009. Our First Lady visited the set of BET's 106 & Park earlier this week and sat with hosts BowWow and Keshia Chante to chat about life in the White House and, of course, a little fashion. She looked oh-so-cool in black pants, a patterned top and leather jacket.
- US President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama take part in a wreath-laying ceremony in honor of the late US president John F. Kennedy at Arlington National Cemetery on November 20, 2013 in Arlington, Virginia.
- First Lady Michelle Obama visits 106 & Park at BET Studios on November 18, 2013 in New York City.
- US First Lady Michelle Obama takes part in a conversation with the 10th grade class at Columbia Heights Educational Campus on November 12, 2013 in Washington, DC.
- U.S. first lady Michelle Obama during a ceremony to honor veterans at the Tomb of the Unknowns on Veterans Day at Arlington National Cemetery on November 11, 2013 in Arlington, Virginia.
- U.S. President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama give out treats to children on the South Lawn of the White House, October 31, 2013 in Washington, DC. President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama welcomed local children and children of military families to trick-or-treat for Halloween.
- US First Lady Michelle Obama President walks with daughter Sasha across Lafayette Park to Saint John's Episcopal Chuch for Sunday services on October 27, 2013 in Washington, DC.
When asked if she has an outfit she'd take back, she said she's typically pretty happy with her outfits, but that she'd take back wearing shorts when the family hopped Air Force One to the Grand Canyon in 2009. "Sometimes I forget I'm the First Lady," she said, "and I'm running around in shorts." She said there was some backlash that she'd worn shorts and sneakers while on Air Force One. Since then, she sticks to longer capri-length pants or skirts and dresses when it's warm out.
Michelle and Malia, 2009. Credit: Getty Images
Aside from having you wardrobe scrutinized every time you step outside, Michelle told the audience that she misses being able to be anonymous when she wants to. "I just long to walk out that front door, go to CVS and buy some toothpaste, and nobody would notice me." It's something we all certainly take for granted!
Our favorite tidbit from the interview, though? Michelle saying that President Obama definitely has "swag," and staking her claim as the "Dancing Queen" of the Obama household. Amazing.
Click through the gallery above to see what our stylish First Lady has worn lately.