10 Things You Need to Know Today

Legalizing Marijuana

Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:

1. 'THE WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD'S GONE'

Michael Perdun of Washington, Ill., is among scores of Midwesterners who lost homes as tornadoes and severe thunderstorms hit the region Sunday, causing fatalities and extensive damage.

2. WHICH STATE IS MANUALLY FILING 'OBAMACARE' APPLICATIONS

Oregon is struggling to deal with thousands of paper files because its online exchange is still not working.

3. INVESTIGATORS PROBE RUSSIA PLANE CRASH

All passengers and crew are killed as a Boeing 737 jetliner crashes and bursts into flames while trying to land at the airport in Kazan, about 450 miles east of Moscow.

4. WHY A TAHRIR SQUARE MEMORIAL IS SPARKING PROTESTS

Some say the tribute to Egypt's fallen demonstrators is an attempt to gloss over the continuing turmoil.

5. TORONTO MAYOR FACING YET ANOTHER SETBACK

City council could vote to strip Rob Ford of his remaining powers.

6. THE PHILIPPINES FACES TRANSPARENCY TEST ON TYPHOON AID

Manila wants to shake off any charges of corruption in its reconstruction plans.

7. WASHINGTON STATE'S LEGAL POT INDUSTRY DRAWS PROSPECTORS

Marijuana industry's "Green Rush" is luring profit-seekers from diverse backgrounds.

8. GETTYSBURG TEXT: SACRED BUT ELUSIVE

No definitive edition exists of Lincoln's famous speech that countless children have memorized.

9. BACHELET FAVORITE TO WIN CHILE'S RUNOFF ELECTIONS

The former president will face off her conservative rival in the December poll after a strong showing in Sunday's vote.

10. HOW JFK'S IDEAS LIVE ON

New website asks people to share how Kennedy and his legacy have inspired them.

Douglas W Dennis November 18 2013 at 10:10 AM

legal weed,good idea.really wish it was in texas.

moeprog08 November 18 2013 at 11:00 AM

Can't wait for weed to be legal in Florida..There's more health advantages to it the health risk..what are they afraid of? Less arrests... -_-

kneeboarder09 moeprog08 November 18 2013 at 11:40 AM

The only ones in fear are the pharmaceutical companies, because they know they're producing death.

liondog96 November 18 2013 at 9:45 AM

I'm glad this stuff helps folks. It does not help me. I'm more of a pain pill guy. I usually feel the THC go into effect the following day for my pain. Opiates kick in in 45 minutes to an hour.

mtnpagan November 18 2013 at 10:42 AM

That's some ugly looking pot!

kneeboarder09 mtnpagan November 18 2013 at 11:41 AM

it has yet to flower.

jerrybigfoot57 November 18 2013 at 8:41 AM

why is it the goverment will cut food stamps but wont take a cut in pay..I have been able to work now for 7 years ,cant get goverment help at all now they cut my stampe ...OK .if the country need it I will help ..take the mony from my stamps ...NOW you over paid pompas people ...take a cut in YOUR pay to ..if the poor can give back to this country SO CAN YOU ...take a 20 % cut and live off 20,000 a year ...thats 20,000 more than I live off of ...BE AN AMERICAN..TAKE A CUT IN PAY..

brooklynbanshee November 18 2013 at 11:54 AM

Do you think the Choom gang is still in session?

horsehallow November 18 2013 at 12:40 PM

EVERYONE KNOWS MARIJUANA IS DANGEROUS, MEIDAL POT IS REALLY STRONG.. SO WHY IS IT SO HARD IN WASHINGTON STATE. TO GET A WEED CARD UNLESS SOMETHING IS REALLY WRONG.

SO I WENT DOWN TO SEE MY DR. ITS A LONG SHOT BUT I GOT TO TRY. HE HANDS ME A LIST OF ALIMENTS , TO SEE IF I QUALIFY.

CANT BELIEVE WHAT I AM READING .. AND ITS REALLY JUST WHAT I VE BEEN NEEDING...
A GOVERNMENT SUPPLY ... TO GET LEAGALLY HIGH.

WEED CARD. ITS ALL I NEED. WEED CARD .. ITS ALL I NEED
HARDLY EVER OK... BUT ITS NOT AN ADDICTION CUZ MY DR GAVE ME A PRECRISPTION!!!!!!

HAVE A BAD DAY NEED MARY JANE... CANT HANDLE THIS NEED CANNABIS, HAVE A STOMACH ACHE NEED WAKE AND BAKE. HAVE AN INJURY NEED THC....

ITS NOT A CRIME ... ITS 420 TIME....

WEED CARD. ITS ALL I NEED. WEED CARD. IS ALL I NEED. BREAK IT DOWN NOW. LOL
by garfunkle and oats... you tube weed card to enjoy the whole song..

Sundancer horsehallow November 18 2013 at 4:27 PM

You're an idiot. You miss the whole thing. Pot has Real, REAL, medicinal benefit. Not just to be a pothead. They are finding that it is doing fantastic things in the healing world. It's goofballs like you that continue to give this amazing plant a bad name. Shame on you.

horsehallow November 18 2013 at 12:19 PM

ALOT OF US IN WASHINGTON ARE NOT THAT HAPPY ABOUT LEGALIZATION. I M MEDICAL MARIJUANA ANYHOW SO IT DOES NOT EFFECT ME. BUT FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON TO GET ON THE SO CALLED ""GOLD RUSH"" BAND WAGON IT IS ALMOST FINANCIALLY IMPOSSIBLE. IT WILL COST THE AVERAGE PERSON ABOUT $100,000 TO GET LICENSED, AND SET UP ... UNLESS YOU HAVE A MAJOR FUNDER YOU WILL NOT BENEFIT. SO THIS LEGALIZATION IS ONLY FOR THE RICH!!!!!!!!THE REQUIRED MONITORING SYSTEM FOR A GROW OPERATION WILL COST A GROWER ABOUT 25 GRAND ALONE!!!! SO LETS SEE NOW THAT TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY APPLICATIONS ARE BEING TAKEN IN WASHINGTON STATE WHO REALLY GETS A LICENSE....... IT WONT BE MOM OR DAD WHO WANNA GROW A ROOM... WAY TO GO GOVERNMENT.

horsehallow November 18 2013 at 12:24 PM

I TRIED TO GET HEALTH INSURANCE BUT I CANT AFFORD IT.. I HAVE PLATES AND SCREWS IN MY BACK BUT IM NOT ABLE TO GET SOCIAL SECURITY . MY HUBBY WORKS SO I CANT GET WELFARE OR MEDICAL BENE'S TO HELP. BUT IT TOOK ME ONE DAY TO GET MY WEED CARD. GO FIGURE AND GOD BLESS AMERICA...

brooklynbanshee November 18 2013 at 11:53 AM

How many potheads are in congress and the White House?