AOL.com
AOL.com
AOL.com

Ten Things You Need to Know Today

Blind people walking in the street

Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:

1. HOW POLICE LEARNED LAX SHOOTING SUSPECT'S MOTIVE

Authorities relied on a letter they found in Paul Ciancia's bag and a brief exchange with investigators after he was shot.

2. WHY MORSI'S TRIAL VENUE WAS CHANGED

Authorities made the last-minute switch to a heavily fortified police academy in an eastern Cairo suburb in an attempt to thwart mass rallies planned by the Muslim Brotherhood.

3. WHO'S NEXT IN LINE FOR MARS LAUNCH

With its planned satellite mission, India aims to become only the fourth country to reach the Red Planet.

4. WHAT FEDERAL PROSECUTORS SAY NAVY SECRETS WERE TRADED FOR

Prostitutes and Lady Gaga tickets are among the bribes a U.S. commander is accused of accepting.

5. TORONTO MAYOR ACKNOWLEDGES DRUNKENNESS

Rob Ford apologizes for being "hammered" in public and promises to make some changes in his life but doesn't address allegations of drug use.

6. HEALTH CARE LAW GETS REAL

With the "Obamacare" rollout, Americans are now starting to figure out how the new law affects their lives.

7. EMPLOYERS SELDOM GIVE THE BLIND A CHANCE

Sightless people remain largely unwanted in the U.S. workplace, despite technological advances that dramatically boost their capabilities.

8. KENYANS DEFEND THEIR TITLES AT NYC MARATHON

Geoffrey Mutai repeats as overall victor while Priscah Jeptoo comes from behind to win the women's race.

9. ANOTHER STORM THREATENS MEXICO

Schools are closed and shelters are open on the west coast ahead of Tropical Storm Sonia.

10. TEXANS COACH HOSPITALIZED

Gary Kubiak collapses and leaves the field at halftime of Houston's loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

More From You

31 Comments
*0 / 3000 Character Maximum
Filter by:
chuckpitboss November 04 2013 at 3:51 PM

I am not going to reply to all of Anton's lies but the one that says there will be 16,000 is definitely not true. Where did Anton get his information from? This falsehood is being espoused by the tea parties and the insurance and big pharma industries. It is simply not true.

To all of you that dislike the government, why not just eliminate the federal government entirely? That way each state could have their own "federal government" and have and make their own laws and constitution. No military at the federal level, the National Guard of each state could handle military matters. Look at the money you'd save with our present federal government gone. Each state would be a government by themselves and they and they alone would be responsible for everything that our present federal government now takes care of. Oh yes each state would have to issue passports and take care of all purchasing that is presently done by the federal government and they'd have to supply ambassadors to all the other "countries," Of course when emergencies arose there might be some problems but so be it, rightt?

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to chuckpitboss's comment
ashespaw November 04 2013 at 5:54 PM

You are taking things from the ridiculous to the complete absurd chuckpitboss. (I hope you're not really a pitboss after displaying such a low IQ).

What Republicans want is less government in our private lives, not out of our lives altogether. Although with the current crop of politicians, that may not be such a bad idea.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
overexposed1 November 04 2013 at 2:27 PM

rhinoprod, you need to understand what Anton wrote. he is concerned that he is going to have to choose between insurance, lights and food, which one would you choose. Me, I think the government just sold out to insurance companies. Now what is it , 20 million or 50 million new customers for them and by law the insurance can make and keep 20% profit on each policy they sell. Remember that you are paying that subsidy for the insurance company to make a 20% profit. Democrats admitted they did not read it, too big to read should be too big to pass. Big government is telling us what we can and can't eat, what size soft drinks we can buy (NYC) . Maybe some of it is needed but truth is where do we stop it. When it hits your neighbor or it hits you. Now think about this, illegal immigrants cannot get subsidized insurance because they are illegal, so when they have babies, get sick or need medical for their children , who will pay for that? I do not want them turned away from the hospital, illegal or not. Even if I do not like my brother, I am still needing to help him when he needs it, just no insurance and illegals have been said to be one of the reasons we needed this so badly. So does AACA really help? ,

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
1 reply to overexposed1's comment
guitar20jl November 04 2013 at 2:51 PM

i can't believe what you're saying. Screw the illegal immigrants, they need to back where they come from. They don't need to be here. I dont care if all there kids die because they can't afford medical treatment. We need to worry about Americans and Americans only!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
1 reply to guitar20jl's comment
Barry November 04 2013 at 3:09 PM

WHO-RAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
ANTON November 04 2013 at 11:24 AM

Keep government out of our lives, I know they want to tell us what to eat, drink and how much, what to watch and read, what doctors we can see, etc. but anything run by the gubamint is always a disaster. I don't like the fact that I am being forced to buy insurance, when i worked I paid for my insurance each week out of my check. Now that I went from unemployed to part time I cannot afford insurance, I am one of 50 million others who will have to decide to pay my lights, rent and food or get insurance or be fined. I guess mr and 50 million others are going to lose our tax return every year which is why the Gov. and Obama's health plan sees the need in hiring 16,000 more IRS agents, (again bigger governemnt) to collect all the fines. People who cannot afford health insurance are not going to run out and but it only to lose their house or apt. I have insurance but am homeless, LOL. I am lucky, I have never broken a bone, never get sick and have been to the emergency room only once in 45 years for my gall bladder. This healthcare bill is a monstrosity and is going to cause more problems and do more harm than good. When the system goes broke and the dr. patient ratio and wait time goes up it is going to crumble like a house of cards. What do you expect from a bill that was secretly put together behind closed doors (not allowed to be read before voting on it) by winners like Pelosi, Reid and Obama, I would not trust these 3 stooges to paint my house much less see after my health care. I don't trust it not because it's Obama but because its the gov. getting bigger, Don't care if it was Bush, Reagan, JFK or Thomas Jefferson I would not trust it, but Obama and Pelosi are so crooked, they only want to help their rich friends get richer and big business, they don't care about the poor or working class except to pay for their useless policies. The democrats had two years of total control, they even had a super majority in the senate, a filibuster prood senate, they could have passed or repealed any legislation they wanted instead they bailed out big business, helped the rich on the backs of the poor, killed the working class, added nearly $9 trillion to the debt. They could have passed gun control or any other policy without any GOP opposition because they had total control and a filibuster proof senate for two years. Instead they embraced and extended many Bush era policies like the Bush tax cuts and the patriot act that were set to expire, two things Sen. Obama voted against but president Obama extended. Bush was bad but Obama is worse because he did the same things Bush did to get us into this mess, Obama only made them worse at a time when his partyy had the seats to really change things. He blew it and it cost his party the House and the super majority in the senate.

Reply Flag as Abusive -2 rate up rate down
3 replies to ANTON's comment
Robert Regan November 04 2013 at 11:17 AM

How do we save the country. Can we ever get the Federal budget to balance.?
Peace,
Bob Regan

Reply Flag as Abusive +1 rate up rate down
wooloudoc November 04 2013 at 10:29 AM

Hey Stupids! Every major civilized country has health care provided for their citizens except the USA. That is because the insurance companies and medical industries don't want it because it will limit the amount to be paid by individuals. We do not have the best health care in the world at all...
Countries like Switzerland and the Scandinavian countries do have it. Meanwhile millions of US citizens have to go to the emergency rooms for their health care. Keep the Affordable Care Act in place and keep making it better and better over years. Socialized medicine is where it's at!!!!

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
4 replies to wooloudoc's comment
Jose November 04 2013 at 10:25 AM

I am a retired federal employee. I kept My health insurance from my employer. However, every year the premiums are increased and I end up with less money every month to meet my needs. The 1.5 increase does not even cover the $77.00 increase in monthly premiums plus the higher co pays for specialty medication i need to stay alive after liver transplant. The insurance companies get richer and we have to die because we can not afford our medical care. We either eat or visit doctors and buy medication AND PAY THE OUTRAGEOUS INSURANCE PREMIUMS AND CO PAYS. What do we do? Whats next?

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
1 reply to Jose's comment
Howdy, Susie November 04 2013 at 10:31 AM

You should have saved money while you worked. Social Security was never expected to be the only spending money of the retired.

Reply Flag as Abusive +3 rate up rate down
1 reply to Howdy, Susie's comment
uukkonn7 November 04 2013 at 3:50 PM

why did you save the MONEY???????are you married or single?????no it wasnt but we didnt have WASHINTON LIKE IT IS TODAY must SENIOR,s are still wworking are YOU????

Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Mike Finch November 04 2013 at 10:03 AM

At this point I think I would rather live in Canada

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
2 replies to Mike Finch's comment
fishingal0926 November 04 2013 at 11:36 AM

See ya later, then...

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
Assist2 CFO November 04 2013 at 3:08 PM

What is stopping you? If you think they have it better - by all means, go already.

Reply Flag as Abusive rate up rate down
o4a0n1 November 04 2013 at 9:50 AM

Beautiful sunrise here in Renton WA

Reply Flag as Abusive +2 rate up rate down
patty2159 November 04 2013 at 9:43 AM

"Hi, we're from the government and we're here to help." Barf......

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down
michell701 November 04 2013 at 9:33 AM

Obama says that my insurance and medications are going down, BULL ****!!! I am on a limited monthly budget and I have to live in a low in-come apart, sure it is nice but it could be better, and as it is, I have to pay outrages medical fees for specialist. As it is now, I am being harassed by an out of state collection ageny for a $400.00 to a local hospital which I am unable to pay. And now I have to pay for his stupid over priced insurance????

The ILLEGALS have it made because they are mis-represented by the legal firms for the poor looking to gain noteriety in saying hey look at me, I am for the poor but end up sticking it to everyone else with high fees and such and the big loosers are people like myself and the people who ae trying to open new job oppertunities but get forced out because of stupid federal and stated regulations.

Reply Flag as Abusive +7 rate up rate down
1 reply to michell701's comment
Sherrie November 04 2013 at 12:52 PM

You need to calm down and actually look at your options. Did it ever occur to you that you might not have had the $400 bill if you had real insurance? Did you check to see what your actual out-of-pocket will be under the ACA (you will probably pay next to nothing for a good plan once the tax credits are applied). Don't get all your news from Faux, they are the biggest liars on the planet.

Reply Flag as Abusive +4 rate up rate down