The future of fashion: Project Runway's Dom Streater
By: The Beauty Experts at: L'Oréal Paris
- Creative, sophisticated, bold – she’s a modern woman working her magic. The plunging neckline on this trendy geometric-patterned jumpsuit pairs perfectly with a bold lip. “I love prints,” says Streater. “I've always loved prints.”
- Queen of color, Streater’s designs are rarely monochromatic. “I really wanted to do a great bold lip to have something that really pops on her face,” she says. Streater compliments this look with L’Oréal’s Infallible Lipliner in Rose, then tops it with L’Oréal’s Colour Riche lip colour in Velvety Fushia. She pairs bold lips with a natural base, like L’Oréal’s True Match Liquid Foundation.
- “For me color is such a huge thing to embrace in designing. It's a part of my DNA,” says Streater. “I think we should all just kind of give color a big hug.”
- “I love to use color and print. It's just something that I'm naturally drawn to,” says Streater. This outfit combines her favorite elements! Streater added extra color to this open-backed dress with L’Oréal’s Infallible Liquid Diamond Eyeshadow and a touch of satin with L’Oréal’s Colour Riche nail polish in Penthouse Pink. And the winged eye? Easy – use L’Oréal’s Infallible Super Slim liner in Black.
- Streater’s passion for color comes through with this alluring avant-garde jacket. “For my avant-garde look I decided that we pull in that teal, that richness from the garments, in the iridescence of butterfly wings, because that's the inspiration,” says Streater. This pink and black romper and jacket combo pairs perfectly with L’Oréal’s Colour Riche Le Gloss in Pink Perseverance. Va-va-voom!
- “When hair and make-up is there, it transforms it into something completely different. It takes it to a different level,” comments Streater. You might be tempted to stick to neutral make-up – but don’t do it! To really step it up, top a natural base with L’Oréal’s True Match blush in Precious Peach. For the eyes, L’Oréal’s Infallible Eyeshadow in Endless Sea – and complete the look with L’Oréal’s Butterfly Mascara.
- “The inspiration for that collection was sci-fi. It was Judy Jetson, science fiction, retro-futurism,” says Streater. “When we create things I put color into it … to me that's my creation, but to take it to the next level or next step with hair and make-up and do all these really great looks just is really exciting.”
- To master the look, add L’Oréal True Match Spiced Plum Blush subtly on the cheeks and L’Oréal’s Superslim eyeliner and a swipe of L’Oréal’s Infallible Eyeshadow in Liquid Diamond to really work the eyes. Keeping the cheeks and foundation simple leave the spotlight on the futuristic eye. And the Aztec up-do is held in place with L’Oréal’s Elnett Satin Hairspray Strong Hold. This trendsetter is ready for any occasion.
Last night during the exciting season finale of Project Runway season 12, Heidi Klum and her panel of judges awarded finalist Dom Streater from Pennsylvania top honors. The 24-year-old had her ups and down this season, but her final collection that hit the runway at New York Fashion Week stood out among the rest.
StyleList was the first to get a closer look at Dom's collection with her during her first (ever) photo shoot. Her collection, which features gorgeous geometric prints, pops of color, and avant-garde pieces were truly unique, just like the budding fashion designer.
Click through the gallery above to get a first look exclusively on StyleList at Dom's first collection!