UnitedHealth Group Named to Dow Jones Sustainability North America and World Indices for 15th Consec
UnitedHealth Group Named to Dow Jones Sustainability North America and World Indices for 15 th Consecutive Year
- Recognized as among the leading companies worldwide for economic, environmental and social excellence and sustainability performance with a strong focus on long-term shareholder value
- Ranked first among peers in the health care providers and services industry sector for corporate citizenship and philanthropy, partnerships toward sustainable health care, codes of conduct and compliance, and operational eco-efficiency
MINNETONKA, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- UnitedHealth Group (NYS: UNH) announced it has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index (DJSI NA) and the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI W).
UnitedHealth Group was recognized as among the leading companies worldwide for economic, environmental and social excellence and sustainability performance with a strong focus on long-term shareholder value. The company ranked first among its peers in the health care providers and services industry sector for corporate citizenship and philanthropy, partnerships toward sustainable health care, codes of conduct and compliance, and operational eco-efficiency.
The Dow Jones Sustainability Indices were the first global indices to track the financial performance of the leading sustainability-driven companies worldwide. UnitedHealth Group now has been included in the DJSI for 15 consecutive years, since the indices were established in 1999.
The Dow Jones Sustainability Indices are maintained by S&P Dow Jones Indices and RobecoSAM, an international investment firm focused exclusively on sustainability investing. RobecoSAM invites more than 3,000 publicly traded companies, including 800 companies in emerging markets, to report annually on their sustainability practices. DJSI's Corporate Sustainability Assessment provides an in-depth analysis of financially material economic, environmental and social practices, such as innovation or supply chain management, climate strategy and stakeholder engagement, and places a special focus on industry-specific risks and opportunities.
According to the DJSI review process, leading sustainability companies display high levels of competence in addressing global and industry challenges in a variety of areas:
- Strategy: Integrating long-term economic, environmental and social aspects in their business strategies while maintaining global competitiveness and brand reputation.
- Financial: Meeting shareholders' demands for sound financial returns, long-term economic growth, open communication and transparent financial accounting.
- Customer & Product: Fostering loyalty by investing in customer relationship management and product and service innovation that focuses on technologies and systems, which use financial, natural and social resources in an efficient, effective and economic manner over the long term.
- Governance and Stakeholder: Setting the highest standards of corporate governance and stakeholder engagement, including corporate codes of conduct and public reporting.
- Human: Managing human resources to maintain workforce capabilities and employee satisfaction through best-in-class organizational learning and knowledge management practices, and remuneration and benefit programs.
"UnitedHealth Group believes that pursuing sustainable business practices supports the company's mission to help people live healthier lives and to help make the health care system work better for everyone," said Jeannine M. Rivet, executive vice president, UnitedHealth Group. "The people of this enterprise are dedicated to a culture of integrity, compassion, relationships, innovation and performance. Our focus on achieving these defining traits informs the decisions we make and guides our businesses in serving the health benefits and services needs of millions of consumers, physicians and other care providers, employers, government and other benefit sponsors.
"We are honored to be recognized for the work we do every day to make high-quality health care more accessible and affordable for more people," Rivet added.
To learn more about UnitedHealth Group's sustainability initiatives, visit the company's 2012 Business Social Responsibility Report, found here. For more information on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes, visit: http://www.sustainability-indexes.com.
About UnitedHealth Group
UnitedHealth Group (NYS: UNH) is a diversified health and well-being company dedicated to helping people live healthier lives and making health care work better. With headquarters in Minnetonka, Minn., UnitedHealth Group offers a broad spectrum of products and services through two business platforms: UnitedHealthcare, which provides health care coverage and benefits services; and Optum, which provides information and technology-enabled health services. Through its businesses, UnitedHealth Group serves more than 85 million people worldwide. For more information, visit UnitedHealth Group at www.unitedhealthgroup.com.
John Penshorn, 952-936-7214
Dan Miller, 714-226-3726
KEYWORDS: United States North America Minnesota
The article UnitedHealth Group Named to Dow Jones Sustainability North America and World Indices for 15th Consecutive Year originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.