What you need to know from BCBG spring 2014
Autumn may be fast approaching New York City at the moment, but at the BCBG Max Azria Spring/Summer 2014 runway show this morning, it was all about lightweight, airy styles complemented by lots of beige neutrals and whites.
- Menswear-inspired styles are having moment. A loose, boxy, casual shirtdress gets a feminine update with a chambray hem and a nipped waist.
- The shade of choice at BCBG? A pale, icy blue.
- Ditching the sleeves on a classic trench makes a wardrobe staple feel fresh and fun.
- Cutouts -- they're still happening. Jumpsuits aren't going anywhere either, but instead of choosing basic black or a bright color, go with color-blocked, muted neutrals.
- A boxy jacket can feel feminine -- just add ruffles! An asymmetrical skirt keeps things interesting (it kind of looks like an update to the fit-and-flare, no?), and snakeskin is animal print of choice this spring.
- And now, for the shoes. Leather doesn't always feel super-springy, so canvas is kind of a genius material for warm weather footwear. As we're just now seeing for fall, harness, buckle, and lace-up details will still be big.
We saw plenty of trends you'll want to wear this spring -- from the snakeskin print that touched everything from skirts to accessories to jackets, to our new favorite color: ice blue. And speaking of light blue, we'll be seeing chambray on plenty more than just our Madewell Ex-boyfriend shirts.
Cutouts, cropped tops, ruffles -- they'll still all be in fashion come spring, but everything is getting just a little bit updated. And the coolest new way to wear a trench? That'll be sleeveless.
To see the key looks for spring from the BCBG runway show, click through the gallery.