It's HERE: Everything you need to know about New York Fashion Week
- This year, Oscar de la Renta decided to significantly reduce the number of individuals invited to his show. He's trimmed the list to just 350, saying "when you do megashows, it loses the reason of why we're showing."
- Wednesday, September 4th kicked off Fashion Week with the Style Awards. A good way to sail into MBFW on a high, we met Trish Summerville earlier today, winner of Costume Designer of the Year! Most recently, Trish designed the costumes for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. She's incredible -- get excited.
StyleList is thrilled to announce world-renowned fashion designer Peter Som is our newest Guest Editor. Peter's designs have been seen on countless celebs and he shares everything you need to know about his Fashion Week.
Anyone in the style world (bloggers, editors, designers, etc.) will be great to follow this week, here's a few of our favorites. Be sure to use/check the hashtag #NYFW for even more.
StyleList (Okay, yes, we're biased!)
Huffington Post Style
Bumble and bumble.
- Build your own Birchbox! To celebrate Fashion Week, Birchbox is hosting their own event: attendees can "book makeup, hair, and nail services, purchase and build their own Birchbox at the sample wall." The event will be invite-only from September 7th-10th, but is open to the public September 12th - 16th from 10am until 8pm daily. Check it out at 459 W. 15th Street (between 9th & 10th Avenues).
- Never miss a moment from the runways! Tune in to the LIVE stream of all things NYFW at Newyorkfashionweeklive.com.
- American Express Unstaged is hosting its first-ever fashion and music collaboration featuring these two vastly talented women. The live-streamed event will take place on Friday, September 6th at 3:00p.m. at Lincoln Center. Watch it at home at www.RebeccaMinkoff.com!
- Biel, here dressed in Dior, will be hosting her first Fashion Week party for the glamorous brand. We're sure Mrs. Timberlake will throw a great bash, and also that our invite just got lost in the mail...
Try a roomy dress and a leather backpack. Since you'll be traipsing through the city going from show to show, a lightweight, loose dress makes it easy to move in, and a chic leather backpack will carry all your essentials.
- Expect to see a few key individuals in the front row wearing Google Glass this year (Nina Garcia will be one of them!). Last year, models wore them during the DVF runway show.
Just some of the accounts we suggest you follow for the best NYFW coverage. When it doubt, check the hashtags #NYFW and #MBFW.
Huffington Post Style
Mercedes Benz Fashion Week
New York Times Fashion
MADE Fashion Week
Oscar PR Girl
Women's Wear Daily
Cushnie Et Ochs: Designers Carly Cushnie and Michelle Ochs have been on a roll this year. Their minimalist, sexy cutout style dresses have been a huge hit on the red carpet, and we don't see them slowing down anytime soon. These women are definitely talent to watch.
- Cara Delevingne is a shining example of how quickly a model can rise to the top, and we predict there's quite a few more on their way up. One of which, Holly Rose Emery, is just 17 but has walked at Valentino and Elie Saab after making her debut at Prada Menswear.
- Malaika Firth, 19, is called by many the "next Naomi Campbell." Quite the title to hold! Firth is the first african american woman to front a Prada campaign(Fall/Winter 2013) since Campbell's ad in 1994. Expect to see lots more of her.
- Marina Nery, 18, recently fronted the Fall/Winter 2013 Miu Miu campaign, and has been seen on the runways of Dior, Prada, Emporio Armani and here Rachel Zoe. We expect to see her all over this season's catwalks.
- It's a big week for MK, not just showing his Spring/Summer 2014 line, but he's also been awarded the 2013 Couture Council Award. Congrats!
- Target's newest designer collaboration (with the incredible Phillip Lim) will be available this week in stores! They're celebrating with a launch event on Thursday, September 5th and we. can't. WAIT.
- If you were hoping to see both menswear and womenswear from Tommy Hilfiger this year, we're afraid you'll have to wait. Hilfiger has decided he is going to focus on womenswear during Fashion Week.
Click through the gallery above to see what events you should know about this week, how you can watch the shows from home and more.
Check out the full schedule of shows here.