The trend report: 4 designers to know before NYFW
When you think of New York Fashion Week, it's hard not to picture all the usual suspects -- iconic American designers like Michael Kors, Donna Karan, Tommy Hilfiger, and Ralph Lauren, just to name a few.
- If you followed the awards shows this year, you'll probably recognize this name. Born in India, Naeem creates ultra-luxurious evening dresses out of rich textiles and exotic embellishments. Some of the world's most glamorous women, including Beyonce, First Lady Michelle Obama, and Penelope Cruz have worn his gowns on the red carpet.
- Nicole Richie wore one of Naeem Khan's designs to this year's Golden Globes.
- First Lady Michelle Obama presented the award for Best Picture at the Oscars in a Naeem Khan dress.
- Have you noticed that the most popular style of flats this year seems to be a long and low, pointy-toe? We've got Los Angeles-based designer Jenni Kayne to thank for that. The purveyor of laid-back California cool makes wearable clothes that women love -- from celebrities to style bloggers.
- Jenni Kayne d'Orsay flats and heels at the fall/winter 2013 presentation.
- Shay Mitchell wore Jenni Kayne to this year's Teen Choice Awards.
- Designers Max Osterweis and Erin Beatty of Suno have been getting quite a bit of buzz lately. After all, at this year's CFDA Awards, the duo won one of the Swarovski Awards for Emerging talent. Known for clean lines and cheeky prints, it's hard not to love the infectious Suno aesthetic.
- Quirky, all-over prints are what Suno is all about.
- Katy Perry wore a cellphone-print dress from Suno earlier this year.
- Designers Carly Cushnie and Michelle Ochs have been on a roll this year. Their minimalist, sexy cutout style dresses have been a huge hit on the red carpet, and we don't see them slowing down anytime soon. These women are definitely talent to watch.
- Selena Gomez chose a style from the fall/winter 2013 collection to wear on this year's Teen Choice Awards red carpet.
- Emma Roberts wore a purple halter dress by the duo to the Tribeca Film Festival.
However, while the major runway shows are always breathtaking, there are plenty of smaller shows that are still making waves. Here, we've listed the top four designers we think you should watch out for this fashion week.
Whether they're about to be major names on the red carpet, or designing your next wardrobe staple, here are the names you've got to know right now. Click through the gallery to get the scoop!