Anti-aging skin and body secrets from the most gorgeous 40-something celebrities
Sure, celebs have natural beauty and good genes on their side-but Cindy Crawford, Susan Sarandon, Iman, and others also have diet, exercise, and skin secrets that keep them looking young.
- "I wouldn't go out now in sweats or clothes that don't fit, or without doing my hair. You just can't get away with it after a certain age. I'm also good about getting my hair colored; rich, lustrous hair looks really youthful. I color it every few weeks to cover grays. That's about how often I get bikini waxes, manicures, and pedicures, too."
- "I'm athletic, but I'm not a gym person; I do things that feel like I'm not working out. I do short exercise videos in my dressing room, and I'm going to install a little ballet bar so I can do, like, knee bends and get the thighs burning. I bought a trampoline for my son that we jump on together, and never in my life has my heart rate gone up so fast. It's an incredible workout."
- "I've been in the sun my whole life—I even have permanent sun damage on my nose from when I was a teenager and just fried. I'm really trying to get better about it, since we shootFriday Night Lights in Austin, where it's so sunny. I found a sunscreen that I love, Clarins Sunscreen Soothing Cream Progressive Tanning SPF 20, which is really moisturizing."
- "You can get away with wearing more makeup when you're younger than when you're older—it starts to look really hideous. I feel like a remake of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?when I put too much on now. Either that or I look like a total female impersonator."
- "At 51, I gained five pounds on holiday and decided not to lose it. If I lost another five pounds, I'd look skinny and haggard for my age. You know how they say either your face or your ass goes? I'm letting the ass go."
- "What you eat makes a huge difference in the health of your skin. I eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables. I like to pick them off the vine and eat them. I grow my own tomatoes, squash, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries."
- "I get my greens for breakfast by juicing kale, beets, and ginger. One time I tried to add frozen peas and they exploded onto the ceiling—my husband [Elvis Costello] said it was like I Love Lucy."
- "Aging is going to happen—and that's only if you're lucky enough to live that long. I hate when they say, 'You look great for your age.' It's such an insult. I don't want that—I want, 'You look good,' period. I am defiant. I want to say: This is what aging looks like! This is what happens! It's not to be confrontational, but I want to say, here it is, look at it."
More from Allure:
Top 21 Drugstore Beauty Bargains
Inside Allure's Beauty Blogger Awards!
Best Hairstyles for Spring 2013