Peter Som's red carpet favorites
- "Rachel is wearing an outfit from my Spring 2012 collection. For me she is the epitome of all-American beauty and this outfit captures her chic yet sporty spirit. It’s really a sweater and a skirt. I love a mix of daywear and evening wear. And a great slice of leg never hurt anyone either."
"Claire is wearing a dress from a past resort collection. Its bias cut with seaming and an eyelet trim detail. I love her in this cut—it’s got a 30’s feel but the print keeps it modern."
"I love a 50’s silhouette—but a full skirt is not always easy to pull off. Because of Maria’s height—she carries off this dress from my Resort 2009 collection to a T. I love black and white—and it doesn’t always have to be graphic. This organza tweed has the texture of a tweed without the weight. She looks like a 50’s movie starlet—I love it."
- "I love to dress Kate-she wears clothes with such effortless ease and the result is a chic put –together look that looks like she was born to wear that dress. This is a look from my Spring 2013 collection. For runway there was a collar, but it was removed for her. The pale green is the perfect color for her skin and hair."
- "When Scarlett wore this dress from my Fall 2003 collection we got so many calls about it I couldn’t believe it—even years after she wore it. Sometimes a dress just ‘hits’—and this one did—mostly because of how great Scarlett looked in it. It’s all about the mix—a touch of flirty lace, a touch of velvet and the slightly surreal mohair ribbon. It’s one of my all-time favorites."
- "Her name says it all—she was the belle of the ball at this NYC Ballet Premiere. We made her a variation of a Spring 2004 runway gown and decorated the front with a Fred Leighton brooch. Camilla is elegance defined—she knows what looks good on her and how to wear clothes. And such a nice person to boot!"
- "I designed this gown for Mandy for the Met Ball—we wanted to go super sophisticated so we chose midnight blue silk faille. Midnight navy is one of my favorite colors—it reads as black but its warmer. I love her dark hair and porcelain skin against the navy-it quite dramatic and both glamorous but modern at the same time."
- "I’ve known Allison before ‘Girls’ shot her to fame. She is one of the nicest and funniest women I know. For the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund awards dinner, we decided to go a bit sexy and vampy. This is a dress from my Spring 2013 collection. It has a bold cross-cross design with cut-outs but in pale pink it keeps it feminine."
- "I love the idea of a t-shirt and shorts done in a fun print. When I saw the new ‘X Factor’ judge wear this Spring 2013 outfit I was thrilled—I love her music and as a fan—it was a thrill to see her give my clothes a cool fresh take with the bold shoes and the jewelry. Love!"
From the silk floral ensemble Kelly Rowland wore on the X Factor to the one-of-a-kind dress he designed for Mandy Moore, Peter shares a few of his favorite looks on some of our favorite celebs.
Click through the gallery above to see Peters picks for his favorite red carpet looks.