Barnes Group Inc. Reports Second Quarter 2013 Financial Results
Barnes Group Inc. Reports Second Quarter 2013 Financial Results
- Quarterly Net Sales from Continuing Operations of $267 million, up 24%
- Quarterly Operating Margin of 13.5%, up 150 bps
- Quarterly Diluted EPS from Continuing Operations of $0.17, down 51%; Adjusted Quarterly Diluted EPS from Continuing Operations of $0.47, up 34%
- 2013 EPS from Continuing Operations Guidance Updated to $1.43 to $1.53 per diluted share; $1.85 to $1.95 on an Adjusted Basis, Up 22% to 28% from 2012
BRISTOL, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Barnes Group Inc. (NYS: B) , an international aerospace and industrial manufacturer and service provider, today reported financial results for the second quarter of 2013. Net sales from continuing operations increased 24% to $267.4 million from $215.3 million in the second quarter of 2012, driven largely by the sales contribution of the Synventive business. Income from continuing operations in the current quarter included a tax charge of $16.6 million, or $0.30 per diluted share, associated with the April 16, 2013 U.S. Tax Court's unfavorable decision arising out of an IRS audit for the tax years 2000 through 2002. Including this tax item, income from continuing operations for the second quarter was $9.2 million, or $0.17 per diluted share. Excluding the impact of the U.S. Tax Court's decision, adjusted diluted earnings per share from continuing operations for the second quarter of 2013 was $0.47, up 34% from $0.35 per diluted share a year ago. A table reconciling the non-GAAP adjusted results presented in this release to our GAAP results is included at the end of this press release.
On April 22, 2013, the Company completed the sale of its Barnes Distribution North America (BDNA) business to MSC Industrial Direct Co., Inc. for the purchase price of $550 million and received cash of $540 million, net of working capital adjustments and transaction costs. In the second quarter of 2013, the Company recorded a gain on sale of $194 million, net of tax, representing the sales price less the asset value of BDNA and net of transaction-related costs. For the second quarter of 2013, the Company's income from discontinued operations was $200 million, which includes both the gain on sale of BDNA, and net operating results for BDNA during the period.
"Sustained execution of our growth strategy allowed us to increase sales and expand operating margins during the quarter," said Patrick J. Dempsey, President and Chief Executive Officer of Barnes Group Inc. "Despite some challenging end-markets, our Industrial segment delivered solid organic growth and improved margin performance." Dempsey continued, "In our Aerospace segment, backlogs are strong, commercial end-markets remain favorable, and the aftermarket showed signs of improvement from the prior quarter."
|($ millions; except per share data)||Three months ended June 30,||Six months ended June 30,|
|% of Sales||13.5||%||12.0||%||1.5||pts.||11.5||%||11.5||%||0.0||pts.|
|Income from Continuing Operations||$9.2||$19.5||($10.3)||(52.8)||%||$24.6||$37.1||($12.4)||(33.6)||%|
|Income from Continuing Operations Per Diluted Share||$0.17||$0.35||($0.18)||(51.4)||%||$0.45||$0.67||($0.22)||(32.8)||%|
|Income from Discontinued Operations Per Diluted Share||$3.65||$0.10||$3.55||NM||$3.59||$0.18||$3.41||NM|
|Net Income Per Diluted Share||$3.82||$0.45||$3.37||NM||$4.04||$0.85||$3.19||NM|
NM = Not Meaningful
- Second quarter 2013 sales were $96.8 million, up 3% from $93.8 million in the same period last year. A sales increase in original equipment manufacturing ("OEM") was partially offset by lower sales in the aftermarket business. Within the aftermarket business, repair and overhaul sales were down while spare part sales were essentially flat to last year.
- Operating profit of $15.2 million for the second quarter of 2013 was up 17% from the prior year period of $13.0 million. Operating profit benefited from the impact of higher OEM sales and better productivity, partially offset by a lower profit contribution from the aftermarket business given lower sales.
- Second quarter 2013 sales were $170.6 million, up 40% from $121.5 million in the same period last year. The increase was driven by the Synventive acquisition's sales contribution and organic sales growth of 5%, inclusive of favorable pricing, offset by unfavorable foreign exchange of $0.5 million.
- Operating profit of $20.9 million for the second quarter of 2013 was up 64% from the prior year period of $12.7 million driven by the profit contribution of Synventive and the profit impact of higher organic sales.
- Interest expense increased to $3.2 million, up from $2.4 million last year primarily as a result of a higher average borrowing rate in the current quarter. During the second quarter of 2013, borrowings were substantially reduced as proceeds from the BDNA sale were used to reduce debt.
- The Company's effective tax rate from continuing operations for the second quarter of 2013 is 71.6% and was adversely impacted by a tax charge of $16.6 million associated with the April 16, 2013 U.S. Tax Court Decision. Absent that item, the Company's effective tax rate from continuing operations for the second quarter of 2013 was 20.5% compared to 16.3% in the second quarter of 2012 and 13.5% for the full year 2012. The remaining effective tax rate increase in the second quarter 2013 versus the full year 2012 rate was mainly due to several discrete foreign tax related items in 2012, an increase in the Company's effective tax rate in Sweden, and a projected mix of earnings attributable to higher-taxing jurisdictions.
- On July 23, 2013, the Company's Board of Directors increased the quarterly cash dividend 10 percent to $0.11 per share of common stock. The dividend increase will raise the annualized dividend payout to $0.44 per share of common stock.
Updated 2013 Outlook
Barnes Group now expects 2013 revenue from continuing operations to grow 17% to 19% from 2012. Excluding $10.5 million pre-tax of non-recurring costs associated with the Company's CEO transition recorded in the first quarter, adjusted operating margins are expected to be in the range of 13.5% to 14% for 2013. GAAP earnings per diluted share from continuing operations are anticipated to be in the range of $1.43 to $1.53.
Full-Year 2013 adjusted earnings per diluted share from continuing operations are anticipated to be in the range of $1.85 to $1.95, up 22% to 28% from 2012's adjusted diluted earnings per share from continuing operations of $1.52. Adjusted earnings per share from continuing operations exclude the non-recurring CEO transition costs ($0.12 per share) and the tax charge as a result of the U.S. Tax Court's unfavorable ruling ($0.30 per share).
As a result of the Tax Court decision, the Company expects cash flows to be negatively impacted by approximately $13 million by the end of 2013. Excluding this item and the impact from the sale of BDNA, 2013 cash conversion is anticipated to be approximately 100% of net income.
Barnes Group Inc. will conduct a conference call with investors to discuss second quarter 2013 results at 8:30 a.m. EDT today, July 26, 2013. A webcast of the live call and an archived replay will be available on the Barnes Group investor relations link at www.BGInc.com. The conference is also available by direct dial at (888) 713-4215 in the U.S. or (617) 213-4867 outside of the U.S. (request the Barnes Group Earnings Call), Participant Code: 78035580.
In addition, the call will be recorded and available for playback beginning at 12:00 p.m. (EDT) on Friday, July 26, 2013 by dialing (617) 801-6888, Passcode: 31040519.
About Barnes Group
Founded in 1857, Barnes Group Inc. (NYS: B) is an international aerospace and industrial manufacturer and service provider, serving a wide range of end markets and customers. The products and services provided by Barnes Group are used in far-reaching applications that provide transportation, communication, manufacturing and technology to the world. Barnes Group's approximately 3,800 dedicated employees, at more than 60 locations worldwide, are committed to achieving consistent and sustainable profitable growth. For more information, visit www.BGInc.com.
This press release contains certain forward-looking statements as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements are made based upon management's good faith expectations and beliefs concerning future developments and their potential effect upon the Company and can be identified by the use of words such as "anticipated," "believe," "expect," "plans," "strategy," "estimate," "project," and other words of similar meaning in connection with a discussion of future operating or financial performance. These forward-looking statements do not constitute guarantees of future performance and are subject to a variety of risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements. These include, but are not limited to: difficulty maintaining relationships with employees, customers, distributors, suppliers, business partners or governmental entities; the success of integration strategy implementation; the ability to recruit and retain key personnel and execute effective executive transitions; difficulties leveraging market opportunities; difficulties providing solutions that meet the needs of customers; rapid technological and market change; the ability to protect intellectual property rights; higher risks in international operations and markets; the impact of increased competition; currency fluctuations; litigation; and other risks and uncertainties described more fully in documents filed with or furnished to the Securities and Exchange Commission by the Company, including the Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations and Risk Factors sections of the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The risks and uncertainties described in our periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission include, among others, uncertainties arising from the current or worsening conditions in financial markets; future financial performance of the industries or customers that we serve; changes in market demand for our products and services; inability to realize expected sales or profits from existing backlog due to a range of factors, including insourcing decisions, material changes as well as production schedules and volumes of specific programs; integration of acquired businesses; restructuring costs or savings; the impact of the divestiture in 2013 of the Barnes Distribution North America business to MSC Industrial Direct Co., Inc.; the impact of the acquisition in 2012 of the Synventive Molding Solutions business; the impact of the divestiture in 2011 of our Barnes Distribution Europe businesses; and any other future strategic actions, including acquisitions, joint ventures, divestitures, restructurings, or strategic business realignments, and our ability to achieve the financial and operational targets set in connection with any such actions; introduction or development of new products or transfer of work; changes in raw material or product prices and availability; foreign currency exposure; our dependence upon revenues and earnings from a small number of significant customers; a major loss of customers; the impacts of the U.S. Tax Court's April 16, 2013 decision and any related appeal; the outcome of pending and future claims or litigation or governmental, regulatory proceedings, investigations, inquiries, and audits; uninsured claims and litigation; outcome of contingencies; future repurchases of common stock; future levels of indebtedness; and numerous other matters of global, regional or national scale, including those of a political, economic, business, competitive, environmental, regulatory and public health nature. The Company assumes no obligation to update our forward-looking statements.
|BARNES GROUP INC.|
|CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF INCOME|
|(Dollars in thousands, except per share data)|
|Three months ended June 30,||Six months ended June 30,|
|Cost of sales||177,411||152,367||16.4||355,127||312,788||13.5|
|Selling and administrative expenses||53,834||37,183||44.8||114,708||74,938||53.1|
|Other expense (income), net||495||55||NM||1,462||914||60.0|
|Income from continuing operations before income taxes||32,413||23,270||39.3||52,045||44,661||16.5|
|Income from continuing operations||9,195||19,487||(52.8||)||24,628||37,077||(33.6||)|
|Income from discontinued operations, net of income taxes||200,132||5,344||NM||198,171||9,961||NM|
|Per common share:|
|Income from continuing operations||$||0.18||$||0.36||(50.0||)||$||0.46||$||0.68||(32.4||)|
|Income from discontinued operations, net of income taxes||3.72||0.10||NM||3.65||0.18||NM|
|Income from continuing operations||$||0.17||$||0.35||(51.4||)||$||0.45||$||0.67||(32.8||)|
|Income from discontinued operations, net of income taxes||3.65||0.10||NM||3.59||0.18||NM|
|Weighted average common shares outstanding:|