Yahoo! Reports Second Quarter 2013 Results
Yahoo! Reports Second Quarter 2013 Results
|Q2 2012||Q2 2013||
|GAAP revenue||$1,218 million||$1,135 million||(7)%|
|Revenue ex-TAC||$1,081 million||$1,071 million||(1)%|
|GAAP income from operations||$55 million||$137 million||150%|
|Non-GAAP income from operations||$240 million||$209 million||(13)%|
|GAAP net earnings per diluted share||$0.18||$0.30||68%|
|Non-GAAP net earnings per diluted share||$0.30||$0.35||19%|
"I'm encouraged by Yahoo!'s performance in the second quarter. Our business saw continued stability, and we launched more products than ever before, introducing a significant new product almost every week," said Yahoo! CEO Marissa Mayer. "From the new Yahoo! News, the new Yahoo! Sports app, the redesigned Yahoo! search, the new Flickr, the new Yahoo! Mail for tablet, the Yahoo! Weather app, our new Yahoo! app with Summly - this quarter drove tremendous improvements in our product line and our users responded with increased usage and engagement."
GAAP revenue was $1,135 million for the second quarter of 2013, a 7 percent decrease from the second quarter of 2012. Revenue excluding traffic acquisition costs ("revenue ex-TAC") was $1,071 million for the second quarter of 2013, a 1 percent decrease compared to the second quarter of 2012.
Adjusted EBITDA for the second quarter of 2013 was $369 million, a 7 percent decrease compared to the same period of 2012.
GAAP income from operations was $137 million for the second quarter of 2013, a 150 percent increase from the second quarter of 2012 (which reflected a restructuring charge of $129 million). Non-GAAP income from operations was $209 million for the second quarter of 2013, a 13 percent decrease from the second quarter of 2012.
GAAP net earnings for the second quarter of 2013 was $331 million, a 46 percent increase from the same period of 2012. Non-GAAP net earnings for the second quarter of 2013 was $386 million, a 6 percent increase from the same period of 2012.
GAAP net earnings per diluted share was $0.30 in the second quarter of 2013, compared to $0.18 in the second quarter of 2012. Non-GAAP net earnings per diluted share was $0.35 in the second quarter of 2013, compared to $0.30 in the second quarter of 2012.
- Yahoo! accelerated its pace of innovation in the second quarter, launching nearly a dozen new product experiences for its core daily habits — including re-imagined desktop, mobile and tablet versions of Mail, Weather, Flickr, Search, Sports, News, and Yahoo! for iPhone and Android.
- The Company announced two new advertising formats designed to enhance the content experience in a more intuitive and immersive way. Yahoo! Stream Ads offer unobtrusive native ads that are part of a user's Yahoo! news stream. The Company also unveiled a new Yahoo.com Billboard ad, designed to deliver richer content interactions to users and increased effectiveness to advertisers.
- Yahoo! is offering additional content as part of its partnerships with leading news and entertainment brands such as ABC News, CNBC, and Condé Nast Entertainment, adding breadth to its existing portfolio of partner content and enhancing Yahoo!'s cross-screen experiences. The Company also announced a partnership between Yahoo! and Broadway Video Entertainment, along with NBC Entertainment, to bring the "Saturday Night Live" archive clips from 1975 to 2013 exclusively to Yahoo!.
- During the second quarter, Yahoo! made nine acquisitions to strengthen its products, content offerings, core technology and talent — including Summly, Astrid, Milewise, Loki Studios, Go Poll Go, PlayerScale, Rondee, Ghostbird Software and Tumblr. Tumblr is one of the fastest-growing media networks in the world. Its tremendous popularity and engagement among creators, curators and audiences of all ages brings a significant community of users to the Yahoo! network. The combination of Tumblr and Yahoo! is expected to grow Yahoo!'s audience to more than one billion monthly visitors.
Second Quarter 2013 Financial Highlights
- GAAP display revenue was $472 million for the second quarter of 2013, a 12 percent decrease compared to $535 million for the second quarter of 2012.
- Display revenue ex-TAC was $423 million for the second quarter of 2013, an 11 percent decrease compared to $473 million for the second quarter of 2012.
- The Number of Ads Sold (excluding Korea) decreased approximately 2 percent compared to the second quarter of 2012.
- Price-per-Ad (excluding Korea) decreased approximately 12 percent compared to the second quarter of 2012.
- GAAP search revenue was $418 million for the second quarter of 2013, a 9 percent decrease compared to $461 million for the second quarter of 2012.
- Search revenue ex-TAC was $403 million for the second quarter of 2013, a 5 percent increase compared to $385 million for the second quarter of 2012.
- Paid Clicks (excluding Korea) increased approximately 21 percent compared to the second quarter of 2012.
- Price-per-Click (excluding Korea) decreased approximately 8 percent compared to the second quarter of 2012.
- Cash, cash equivalents, and investments in marketable securities were $4.8 billion as of June 30, 2013 compared to $6 billion as of December 31, 2012, a decrease of $1.2 billion.
- During the second quarter of 2013, Yahoo! repurchased 25 million shares for $653 million and used a net $1 billion in cash for acquisitions (including a net $970 million to acquire Tumblr). These outflows were offset by $846 million in cash from Alibaba Group to redeem the Alibaba Group Preference Shares. The cash received represents the redemption value and includes the stated value of $800 million plus dividends of $46 million.
"We are happy to announce that as of today we have essentially completed our commitment to return $3.65 billion from our Alibaba Group proceeds to shareholders, repurchasing a total of 190 million shares," said Yahoo! CFO Ken Goldman. "As part of our ongoing commitment to shareholders, we plan to continue to execute against the $5 billion share buyback that was authorized last year, of which approximately $1.9 billion remains. We plan to repurchase shares in open market or privately negotiated transactions."
Yahoo! will live stream a video broadcast of the Company's second quarter 2013 financial results at 2 p.m. Pacific Time/5 p.m. Eastern Time today. The live stream will be broadcast from Yahoo!'s Sunnyvale studio and will be available exclusively on Yahoo! Finance at http://finance.yahoo.com. The Company will provide its business outlook for the third quarter and full year during the presentation. Supplemental financial information can be accessed through the Company's Investor Relations website at http://investor.yahoo.com. The video webcast will be archived after the event at http://investor.yahoo.com and will be available for 90 days following the broadcast.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This press release and its attachments include the following financial measures defined as non-GAAP financial measures by the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC"): revenue ex-TAC; adjusted EBITDA; non-GAAP income from operations; non-GAAP net earnings; non-GAAP net earnings per share - diluted; and free cash flow.
Revenue ex-TAC is GAAP revenue less traffic acquisition costs. Adjusted EBITDA, non-GAAP income from operations, non-GAAP net earnings and non-GAAP net earnings per share - diluted, exclude from the most comparable GAAP financial measures certain gains, losses, and expenses that we do not believe are indicative of ongoing results, and exclude stock-based compensation expense. Adjusted EBITDA also excludes taxes, depreciation, amortization of intangible assets, other income, net (which includes interest), earnings in equity interests, and net income attributable to noncontrolling interests. Free cash flow is GAAP net cash provided by operating activities (adjusted to include excess tax benefits from stock-based awards), less acquisition of property and equipment, net and dividends received from equity investees.
These measures may be different than non-GAAP financial measures used by other companies. The presentation of this financial information is not intended to be considered in isolation or as a substitute for the financial information prepared and presented in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles ("GAAP"). Explanations of the Company's non-GAAP financial measures and reconciliations of these financial measures to the GAAP financial measures the Company considers most comparable are included in the accompanying "Note to Unaudited Condensed Consolidated Financial Statements," "Supplemental Financial Data and GAAP to Non-GAAP Reconciliations," and "GAAP to Non-GAAP Reconciliations."
Yahoo! is focused on making the world's daily habits inspiring and entertaining. By creating highly personalized experiences for our users, we keep people connected to what matters most to them, across devices and around the world. In turn, we create value for advertisers by connecting them with the audiences that build their businesses. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, and has offices located throughout the Americas, Asia Pacific (APAC) and the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) regions. For more information, visit the pressroom (pressroom.yahoo.net) or the Company's blog (yahoo.tumblr.com).
"Affiliates" refers to the third-party entities that have integrated Yahoo!'s advertising offerings into their Websites or other offerings (those Websites and other offerings, "Affiliate sites").
"Alibaba Group" means Alibaba Group Holding Limited.
"Net earnings" means net income attributable to Yahoo! Inc., and "net earnings per diluted share" means net income attributable to Yahoo! Inc. common stockholders per share - diluted.
"Number of Ads Sold" is defined as the total number of ads displayed, or impressions, for paying advertisers on Yahoo! Properties.
"Paid Clicks" are defined as the total number of times an end-user clicks on a sponsored listing on Yahoo! Properties and Affiliate sites for which an advertiser pays on a per click basis.
"Price-per-Ad" is defined as display revenue from Yahoo! Properties divided by our Number of Ads Sold.
"Price-per-Click" is defined as search revenue divided by our Paid Clicks.
Additional information about how "Number of Ads Sold," "Paid Clicks," "Price-per-Ad," and "Price-per-Click" are defined and calculated is included under the caption "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations" in the Company's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2013, which is on file with the SEC and available on the SEC's website at www.sec.gov . Due to the closure of the Korea business in the fourth quarter of 2012, "Number of Ads Sold", "Paid Clicks", "Price-per-Ad", and "Price-per-Click," as presented above, exclude the Korea market for all periods.
"Search Agreement" refers to the Search and Advertising Services and Sales Agreement between Yahoo! and Microsoft Corporation, as amended.
"TAC" refers to traffic acquisition costs. TAC consists of payments to Affiliates and payments made to companies that direct consumer and business traffic to Yahoo! Properties.
"Yahoo! Properties" refers to the online properties and services that Yahoo! provides to users.
This press release contains forward-looking statements concerning Yahoo!'s expected financial performance and Yahoo!'s strategic and operational plans (including, without limitation, the quotation from management). Risks and uncertainties may cause actual results to differ materially from the results predicted, and reported results should not be considered as an indication of future performance. The potential risks and uncertainties include, among others, acceptance by users of new products and services (including, without limitation, products and services for mobile devices and alternative platforms); Yahoo!'s ability to compete with new or existing competitors; reduction in spending by, or loss of, advertising customers; risks associated with the Search Agreement with Microsoft Corporation; risks related to Yahoo!'s regulatory environment; interruptions or delays in the provision of Yahoo!'s services; security breaches; risks related to joint ventures and the integration of acquisitions; risks related to Yahoo!'s international operations; adverse results in litigation; Yahoo!'s ability to protect its intellectual property and the value of its brands; dependence on third parties for technology, services, content, and distribution; and general economic conditions. All information set forth in this press release and its attachments is as of July 16, 2013. Yahoo! does not intend, and undertakes no duty, to update this information to reflect subsequent events or circumstances. More information about potential factors that could affect the Company's business and financial results is included under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations" in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2012 and Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2013, which are on file with the SEC and available on the SEC's website at www.sec.gov . Additional information will also be set forth in those sections in Yahoo!'s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2013, which will be filed with the SEC in the third quarter of 2013.
Yahoo!, Flickr and the Yahoo! logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Yahoo! Inc. All other names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
|Unaudited Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||2,667,778||$||1,142,223|
|Short-term marketable securities||1,516,175||1,486,591|
|Accounts receivable, net||1,008,448||941,811|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||460,312||887,677|
|Total current assets||5,652,713||4,458,302|
|Long-term marketable securities||1,838,425||2,161,814|
|Alibaba Group Preference Shares||816,261||-|
|Property and equipment, net||1,685,845||1,579,822|
|Intangible assets, net||153,973||398,300|
|Other long-term assets||289,130||171,210|
|Investments in equity interests||2,840,157||2,874,387|
|LIABILITIES AND EQUITY|
|Accrued expenses and other current liabilities||808,475||763,117|
|Total current liabilities||1,290,232||1,178,113|
|Long-term deferred revenue||407,560||333,229|
|Capital lease and other long-term liabilities||124,587||125,639|
|Deferred and other long-term tax liabilities, net||675,271||730,708|
|Total Yahoo! Inc. stockholders' equity||14,560,200||13,808,864|
|Total liabilities and equity||$||17,103,253||$||16,226,423|
|Unaudited Condensed Consolidated Statements of Income|
|(in thousands, except per share amounts)|
|Three Months Ended||Six Months Ended|
|June 30,||June 30,|
|Cost of revenue - traffic acquisition costs||137,025||64,316||281,116||130,384|
|Cost of revenue - other||278,453||271,262||532,432||549,269|
|Sales and marketing||272,910||279,738||558,178||536,757|
|General and administrative||136,117||135,039||260,388||268,460|
|Amortization of intangibles||9,756||8,084||19,809||15,449|
|Restructuring charges, net||129,092||3,578||134,809||(3,484||)|
|Total operating expenses||1,162,981||998,265||2,214,838||1,952,663|
|Income from operations||54,813||136,979||224,189||322,949|
|Other income, net||20,175||23,606||22,453||40,678|
|Income before income taxes and earnings in equity interests||74,988||160,585||246,642||363,627|
|Provision for income taxes||(26,523||)||(50,267||)||(82,942||)||(80,003||)|
|Earnings in equity interests||179,991||224,690||352,234||442,278|
|Less: Net income attributable to noncontrolling interests||(1,825||)||(3,858||)||(2,960||)||(4,467||)|
|Net income attributable to Yahoo! Inc.||$||226,631||$||331,150|