Style Throwback: Resort 2014
For the fashion industry, the month of June means one thing: resort collections.
- Well, this is happening. Skirts and dresses over pants (in this case, sheer and lace pants - double the trend, double the fun!) were spotted at Givenchy, so we might as well accept that this is becoming a thing.
- Boho chic is still back in a big way, and if Tory keeps putting out gorgeous embroidered blazers like this one, we're not complaining about it.
- Don't settle for just one floral print item in your outfit - try two! And while you're at it, try a raffia clutch or accessory on for size.
- We love a good animal print, and snakeskin, which we spotted here and at DVF and Reed Krakoff, is going to be big, so go ahead and stock up. We especially love the print in a pretty pastel color, which is always refreshing when it's warm out.
- Repeat after us: perforated leather. Say what?! It's just a fancy term for leather with lots of holes in it, but it sure looks super cute and sporty on this sky blue sweatshirt, doesn't it?
- Swap out dark leather for a cutesy bird-print in a few vibrant hues, and you've got a decidedly cool and springy bomber jacket that feels fresh. Also, take note of the clear tote: a little inconvenient, but right on-trend.
- We're seeing red! Use the color as an accent, or go all out and dress yourself in it from head to toe.
- When it comes to skirts, it's going to be hard to beat the pleat.
- Sheer is a big trend right now, and news flash - it's not going anywhere! While we're not sure about the practicality factor of these guys here, we do love the sky blue hue (are you seeing a color story here?).
- Athleisure, Luxe athletic, sporty chic - whatever you want to call it, sport-inspired styles are kind of all the rage right now. While we wouldn't suggest playing softball in this day dress, it is kinda perfect for the office. Plus, metallic sleeves - oh so cool!
- When it comes to swimwear, surf's up! Hang ten with a rashguard for a cool, surf-inspired look.
- Sparkles and stripes, oh my! Stripes are always in vogue, but a shimmering finish gives this classic print a chic update.
- One-piece swimwear is still making waves, and we love them even more with fun cutouts.
- If you're looking for an updated floral, might we suggest a tropical, Hawaiian-inspired print?
- We're still seeing lots of sheer and lots of white, and this pretty dress with an overlay is no exception. P.S. Don't walk - run out and get yourself a pair of gold-plated sandals!
Resort season means just about exactly what it sounds like: collections of clothing meant to take the wearer through the winter vacation months. In recent years, designers have been ramping up their offerings to include cold weather staples like coats and sweaters, but for the most part, it's all about shorter hemlines, brighter colors, and poolside coverups.
While it may not be a throwback in the traditional sense, the resort shows have been going on for quite awhile now, so you could have easily missed something along the way. We've rounded up all the best resort looks you may have missed over the past month, and have organized them right here for you in this handy gallery. The best part about resort is that even though most of these designs won't hit department stores 'til December, you can take the warm weather style inspiration now and apply them to summer. Or, if you've tapped our your clothing budget already, use this as a guide to plan ahead for that Caribbean cruise you keep meaning to take. C'mon - new clothes are always the best excuse.
Click through the gallery to see our resort roundup!