Nintendo Direct E3 2013 quick reaction
Nintendo just wrapped up their approximately half-hour long Nintendo Direct press conference for this year's E3 and, although there weren't a huge number of unexpected surprises, they got us pretty pumped for a lot of their upcoming games for Wii U and 3DS (most of which are scheduled to come out by the end of the year or Spring 2014).
Here are the main takeaways from the live stream:
- Pokemon X and Y (released October 12, 2013) will feature a new, 18th Pokemon type, Fairy Pokemon. It will also feature a new "Pokemon-Amie" that will let players connect more with their Pokemon and care for them like a pet.
- Super Mario 3D World(s) will be released in December 2013 and "present the next step forward for Super Mario 3D action games." It looked pretty dynamic, if you ask us.
- Mario Kart 8, delayed and to be released Spring 2014, will feature anti-gravity mechanics to allow players to race up vertical walls and upside down.
- Wii Party U will feature 80 (!) new minigames and include a new Tabletop Minigames feature that will allow people to play on just the GamePad. It will be out by the end of the year and Wii Fit U should be out sometime this winter.
- Nintendo has a bunch of great third-party games on their slate including a new Assassin's Creed, Batman, Disney Infinite, Just Dance 2014, Sonic Lost World, Watch Dogs, Rayman Legends, and Scribblenauts, among others. Very impressive lineup.
- They also showed an extensive trailer for The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.
- The Wonderful 101 extended trailer made the lineup even more exciting.
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze will feature new angles and dimensions and feature Dixie Kong as a playable character that will play differently from the other characters. It'll feature the island being taken over by Vikings and be out later this year.
- Bayonetta 2: new haircut, new costumes, new abilities. Out in 2014.
- To round out their stream, Nintendo officially announced the new Super Smash Bros. as well as two new characters to be introduced to the battles: Villager and Mega Man! It was an awesome extended sneak peek and the game will be out in 2014.