Joan Rivers' Style Transformation
Joan Rivers (also known as the Sheriff of E!'s "Fashion Police") has had quite the career in the spotlight. Always keeping us laughing and on our toes, she has been a staple on Hollywood red carpets for over 6 decades. This funny lady turns 80 (!) on June 8, 2013, and she looks great.
- Joan Rivers with Ed Sullivan on The Ed Sullivan Show in a sleeveless dress and pearls.
- Joan siting on a chair, wearing an embroidered kaftan.
- Joan may have been dwarfed by these tall showgirls, but she looked just as glam!
- Joan attends a screening for "The Bounty" in navy blue and white, with striped pants.
- Joan held her daughter Melissa's hand at Spago in Hollywood, wearing a vibrant yellow polka-dotted dress.
- Joan wore this dress with a large floral design to Spago in Hollywood.
- All about the pearls and high hair, Joan had all eyes on her at the D.W. Griffith Awards.
- Joan paired her pearls with this plaid skirt suit to the premiere of "Without You I'm Nothing."
- Hello shoulders! Joan stood out in this black dress with large ruffled shoulder details.
- Joan wore this dress with a sheer top to a party for Ian Schraeger and Billy Norwich.
- Looking classically chic, Joan was pretty in pink to tape "The Joan Rivers Show" on CBS.
- Sometimes you just need a little sparkle, and Joan wore this glittering dress and jacket to the Gala to benefit the March of Dimes.
- Attending the Vanity Fair Oscars Party with her daughter Melissa, Joan chose a nude embellished gown with long sleeves.
- A few years later at the Emmys, Joan kept it metallic while Melissa chose classic black.
- Joan was the lady in red (and fur) at the 2002 Golden Globes.
- Never one to shy away from a big fashion statement, we wonder what today's Fashion Police Joan would say about her own outfit for the 55th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards...
- Joan looked comfy in this fluffy bathrobe-inspired jacket over a simple white gown.
- Joan went for bright colors for a Hearst Magazine launch.
- A girl's gotta keep warm! Joan attended the 13th Annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscar Party on a chilly February night, wearing a fur stole over her sparkling gown.
- Rivers strikes a pose at the 57th Annual Emmy Awards.
- Joan looked lovely in this strapless grey gown for the Oscars.
- Joan was draped in Harry Winston jewels for the Golden Globe Awards.
- Joan looked classic in all black at the 11th Annual Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.
- Joan attended the opening night of "Hedda Gabler" on Broadway, looking lush in black, gold and fur.
- Joan knows that pairing navy with black is no longer a faux pas, it can be totally chic.
- Joan attended the 2009 LightYears Gala in bold stripes.
- Joan wore a choker necklace with her black ensemble, topping the look off with a red velvet coat.
- Joan looked like an ice queen on her float at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- Joan poses with the Q at a QVC red carpet style party.
- Joan Rivers attended the LensCrafters' reveal of Sunglass Fashion Crimes, wearing a pair but holding a spare. You can never have too many sunglasses!
- Joan looked glamorous in a fur-trimmed coat over her classic black separates.
- Joan attends New York Fashion Week in all black and a fur jacket.
- Joan visited Watch What Happens Live on Bravo, wearing a turquoise jacket to accessorize a classic look.
- Joan was all decked out in fur for the Princes Trust Comedy Gala in London, England.
- Melissa and Joan looked totally glam at the GRAMMY Salute to Industry Icons Gala.
- Joan paired neon with classic hues, and of course, a fur shawl.
- Joan attended the Media Opening for Kinky Boots on Broadway, dressed to the nines for a fun night out.
A comedian through and through, she spent her career on stage, in movies and on television. She hosted multiple television shows, and started covering pre-awards shows with daughter Melissa in 1994. From there, she hosted for E! as well as the TV Guide Channel, and had a show with Melissa on WE TV.
Known for her witty comments and ability to make fun of herself and the rest of Hollywood, she definitely knows not to take life too seriously. After award shows, we love to tune in to "Fashion Police" to see who the team (including Giuliana Rancic, Kelly Osbourne and George Kotsiopoulos) loved and who they thought was a major miss. It's always fun to compare our thoughts with theirs!
Joan's fashion has definitely evolved through the years, but she has a penchant for classic silhouettes and bold accents. Whether it's a big shoulder or an oversized fur stole, she knows how to make a statement.
Click through to see this funny lady's style transformation.