Style Throwback: Cannes Film Festival
- French actress Brigitte Bardot attends Cannes with a large fur shawl draped elegantly over her shoulders.
- Actress Sophia Loren was stunning in this sweetheart neckline ball gown, looking like she was headed to a wedding.
- Elizabeth Taylor wears a crown and dodges a kiss from her third husband, Mike Todd.
- Carey Grant and Kim Novak gaze at one another at Cannes in 1959.
- Catherine Deneuve wears all stripes in this perfectly sixties dress.
- Vanessa Redgrave's hair is as high as the sky, and her bizarre outfit (patterned literally down to her toes) just screams '60s.
- Serge Gainsbourg photographed English actress Jane Birkin in a white lace crop top, an outfit that encompasses the late '60s and early '70s.
- Princess Diana wore a pale blue chiffon dress and stole at the Cannes film festival in 1987. This Catherine Walker dress was a movie buff's reference to the one Grace Kelly had worn in Hitchcock's "To Catch a Thief."
- Madonna wore this outfit, designed by French Jean-Paul Gaultier, under an ample coat as she leaves the Cannes Festival Palace after the screening of her movie "in Bed with Madonna."
- Johnny Depp and Kate Moss walk hand in hand at the Cannes Film Festival in 1998.
- Nicole Kidman attended the premiere of Baz Lurhmann's "Moulin Rouge" in a black strapless tiered gown.
- Cameron Diazand Leonardo DiCaprio at the "Gangs of New York" special preview, Diaz in a sheer sparkling gown.
- Penelope Cruz looked gorgeous in this black gown, attending the photocall for "Fanfan La Tulipe."
- A pregnant Angelina looked lovely in this flowing green gown, gazing adoringly at Brad Pitt.
- Naomi Campbell was glowing in this metallic gown by Roberto Cavalli, capturing the attention of everyone at Cannes that year.
- Uma Thurman wore a floor length cobalt evening gown to the closing ceremony in 2011.
- Diane Kruger certainly knows how to make a statement, and that's just what she did in this Christian Dior gown in 2012.Diane Kruger certainly knows how to make a statement, and that's just what she did in this Christian Dior gown in 2012.
The Cannes Film Festival, founded in 1943, previews new films of all kinds. It's one of the most widely publicized and respected film festivals in the world.
This year's festival, which is invitation only, is held from May 15 - May 26, 2013. The event is a wonderful time to showcase films both well known and unknown, and this year's festival kicked off with The Great Gatsby.
Click through the gallery to see Cannes Film Festival style through the years!