Carol Burnett's Style Transformation
- A portrait of American actor and comedian Carol Burnett sitting on a lounge, wearing a black dress with her hands folded. The dress is classic 60's style with sequins and a high neckline.
- Carol Burnett and Joe Hamilton during 27th Annual Golden Globe Awards. Carol is seen wearing a white neck scarf with a delicate circular broach.
- Joe Hamilton and Carol Burnett during International Radio and TV Society Gold Medal Awards wearing a chic yellow dress with sequins and a polka dot red coat.
- Joe Hamilton and Carol Burnett during Carol Burnett Testimonial Dinner. Carol is seen wearing a sleeveless dress with a matching shawl covering her arms.
- Entertainer Cher attends an event with Carol Burnett. Carol is seen in a gorgeous embroidered dress with some serious shoulder pads. A sign of the times.
- Carol Burnett and Joe Hamilton were spotted outside their hotel, Carol wearing a loose fitting striped dress with an oversized flower around her neck.
Carol attends the 36th Annual Golden Globe Awards in an all white dress, completely covered up.
Carol attends the 7th Annual People's Choice Awards showing off a serious suntan in a strapless, beachy dress with a purple seashell cover-up.
- Carol Burnett and her daughter Carrie Hamilton attend the Kennedy Center Honors in gorgeous dresses. Carol is wearing an intricate floor length gown with plenty of sequins.
Ahead of her time, Carol is seen wearing a wrap dress with a chic diamond clutch.
- Carol Burnett is all smiles, wearing a black and white polka dot top while hugging Phyllis Diller.
Carol Burnett and Mary Tyler Moore attend the "Carol Burnett Exhibit" on display in Los Angeles. You know you've arrived when you have an entire exhibit dedicated to you.
- Carol is not afraid of an over-the-top blazer to go with a simple black dress.
- Saying hello to the paparazzi, Carol is seen wearing a brown coat with colorful blocking.
- Carol Burnett during 5th Annual Sterling Awards in red from head to toe.
- Carol's hair transformed along with her style, and she was sporting a beautiful short red hairstyle in 1993.
- Carol's style was all her own, and she looked fabulous in this cropped blazer with white trim.
- Talk about two style icons, Carol and Liza Minelli are spotted chatting at a party. Carol is wearing an all-gold sequin blazer while Liza is subdued in black.
- Dressed for the occasion, Carol looks gorgeous in a black gown with a sheer shawl.
- Nothing like adding a pop of color to get noticed!
- We're seeing a trend in Carol's style, SEQUINS! The funny gal is in love with wearing the sparkly embellishments.
- Carol shows off her American Comedy Award in an all pink skirt and blazer.
- Wearing darker colors, Carol is seen wearing a turtleneck under a chic black blazer.
- Even in the late '90s Carol can make herself laugh. The actress sure knows how to use color in her favor with this gorgeous striped skirt.
- Carol Burnett is showing quite a bit of leg in this photo, wearing a skirt and matching blazer.
- Pretty in purple, Carol attends the premiere of the Producers on broadway.
- Carol Burnett is a Kennedy Center Honors recipient, dressed in all white. She looks stunning.
- Carol poses outside at the 5th Annual TV Land Awards in a purple blazer and black skirt. The funny lady always looks her best for a red carpet.
- Carol Burnett attends the Santa Barbara International Film Festival in a firey red ensemble. The outfit perfectly matches her hair.
- Dressed in all black, Carol is totally age appropriate in this conservative number.
- While making an appearance at the Tonight Show, Carol wears a red blazer with a black turtleneck underneath.
- Oversized tunics start to become Carol's red carpet staple, seen here in coral with a long necklace.
- Carol Burnett poses backstage following a performance by Linda Lavin in a classic black ensemble.
- Actress and comedian Carol Burnett arrives at the Hooray For Hollywood event wearing a similar black outfit with ruffles.
- Carol Burnett attends the naming ceremony and plaque unveiling Of "Carol Burnett Square" in Los Angeles, wearing one of her classic white blazers.
Carol Burnett may be best known for her work on the hit sketch comedy show, "The Carol Burnett Show," but the 80-year old actress, who celebrates her birthday today, worked hard to get noticed.
When Carol moved to Hollywood in the 1930s, she worked as an usher at a Hollywood theater, and it was at the Hollywood Pacific Theater where she first caught the acting/comedy bug. After graduating from high school, Carol attended UCLA. She quickly realized that this bug was indeed a passion for theater arts and turned her focus towards a budding playwright career.
Carol got her first big break in 1959 when she was cast in the musical "Once Upon a Mattress," for which she was nominated for her first Tony Award. When CBS approached Carol in 1967 to host a variety series called "The Carol Burnett Show," her career changed forever. The show lasted more then 10-years and continues to run on syndication television today.
On TV, Carol's style adapted to the roles she played. Whether she was dressed as the cleaning lady in one sketch or a teacher in another, her ability to transform into a character was further amplified by the costumes. In her personal life, Carol's style was classic. We've seen her in chic sleeveless dresses, embroidered tops, and over-the-top blazers. Her style truly transformed with each decade of her success.
Today, Carol's style is simple. She continues to wear fitted blazers and chic skirts, but gone are the days of shoulder pads and sequins. She regularly appears on television and speaks in front of sold out audiences. She was even honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W. Bush in 2005.
Click through the gallery above to see some of Carol's greatest looks.