Style Throwback: Country Strong, Country Style
About a week after the flower crowned, cutoff-sporting Coachella crowds disappear from the California desert, a different group of music lovers begin to swarm Indio en masse, for the Stagecoach Music Festival.
- American country singer and guitarist Kitty Wells in lots of frills and polka dots.
- American actor and singer Dale Evans wearing a cow girl costume and leaning against a wooden fence.
- Country musician Patsy Cline plays the piano wearing a dress with a gingham stripe.
- American country singer Bobbie Gentry poses for a photographer during a visit to London with high hair and a bright smile.
- Jody Miller sings in a ruffled off-the-shoulder top.
- Little Richard poses with married country couple Tammy Wynette and George Jones, and between the volume on Little Richard and Jones' sideburns, this screams '70s!
- Dolly Parton rocks a pair of boots like no other.
- Talk about embellishment! American country music singer and guitarist Loretta Lynn in a white jacket.
- Tammy Wynette performs on stage in white high-waisted pants and a vest, with matching hat.
- Dolly Parton is all about the volume, here in London.
- That's quite the belt buckle on Reba McEntire at the Academy of Country Music Awards.
- Two years later, Reba McEntire is seen in this long pink dress, holding two awards.
- Marie Osmond looks like she's channeling one of TLC's Toddlers in Tiaras at Annual Academy of Country Music Awards. But then again, it was the '80s.
- You can't get much more of a country look than a tux shirt/coat with jeans and a cowboy hat, seen here on George Strait!
- Marie Osmond wore this oversized, studded red blazer to the Academy of Country Music Awards.
- We can't tell which is more distracting, Reba McEntire's hair or her dress.
- Dolly goes a little bit rock 'n roll for the early '90s.
- The Judd women arrive to the ACM Awards, Wynona and Ashley in all black, while Naomi stands out in a bold dress with voluminous shoulders.
- Whoa, Tanya Tucker, this dress is just inches away from being a wardrobe disaster. Combined with the matchy-matchy shoes, earrings and purse, we can't help but cringe.
- Who knew Frankenstein's monster had a country vibe, too?
- Naomi Judd chose all shades of green for the 29th Annual ACM Awards.
- Loretta Lynn looked elegant in white silk for the 1995 ACM Awards.
- Shania Twain attends the Second Annual Blockbuster Entertainment Awards in all leather.
- Faith Hill looked stunning in a sleek lilac gown at the Grammy Awards.
Though a similar concept to the indie festival it precedes, Stagecoach presents a something a little more down home - three days of live country music.
We've taken a look back at the sartorial choices of our favorite country stars of years past.
Though Lady Antebellum's Hillary Scott may be taking center stage at this year's festival, we can remember a time when Faith Hill and Reba McEntire reigned supreme, and boy, did they dress to the nines.
As far as outfit choices go, we can't deny that a solid pair of cowboy boots is stil a major style statement on the country scene, but hoop skirts, oversize ruffles, and heavy shoulder-pads all have thankfully fallen out of fashion. However, high volume remains popular in one place - the hair!
Click through the gallery to see some of the most outrageous country styles of the past, from Dolly Parton to Shania Twain.