Google to Close Google Reader & 7 Other Products
Technology constantly changes and some Google products must make way for better initiatives. In its second announced "spring cleaning," Google is bringing the total number of product and services closures to 70. Here is a quick rundown of the "to-close" products:
- started in 2005 as an alternative RSS reader and has attracted a loyal product following. Because usage has declined, Google will retire the product on July 1. Before then, users can export their data and subscriptions.
- Google Voice App for Blackberry will end next week. BlackBerry can continue using Google Voice through Google's HTML5 app, which is more secure and will receive updates. The HTML5 site is compatible with BlackBerry version 6 and later.
- for Macintosh and Windows will no longer receive updates. Existing customers will continue to be able to download the software, and Google will still offer Snapseed mobile app on iOS and Android for free.
- Google Cloud Connect is a plug-in to help people work in the cloud by automatically saving Microsoft Office files from Windows PCs in Google Drive. The product will close April 30 as users can, instead, use Google Drive on the desktop. Google Drive works more effectively and across Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices.
- Google Building Maker helped people to make three-dimensional building models for Google Earth and Maps. It will be retired on June 1, but users can access and export their models from the 3D Warehouse.
- Apps Script will refocus efforts from GUI Builder and five UiApp widgets to better the HTML Service. The rest of the Ui Service will not be affected. The GUI Builder will continue to be available until Sept. 16.
- CalDAV API will become available for whitelisted developers, and will be shut down for other developers on Sept. 16.
- Search API for Shopping will shut down on Sept. 16. While Google believes in helping developers create shopping apps based on Google's Product Search data, it's shifting its focus on creating a better shopping experience for users through Google Shopping.
The article Google to Close Google Reader & 7 Other Products originally appeared on Fool.com.Fool contributor Kevin Chen has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool recommends and owns shares of Google. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.