Here's How To Keep Your Winter Layering Far Away From The Michelin Man
For the girl who wants to keep her off-duty classic, chic, but most of all, super casual, pair a cool combination of plaid print, knitted layers, and a mixed-media coat to achieve your desired effect.
Shop the look:
- Rails Plaid Shirt ($128)
- A.P.C. Pull-On Sweater ($280)
- Topshop Moto Vintage Skinny Leigh Jeans($76)
- J Brand Alberta Peacoat ($995)
- Rag & Bone Felted Cable Circle Scarf ($110, originally $220)
- Fresh Sugar Lip Balm SPF 15 ($23)
- IIIBeCa by Joy Gryson Duane Crossbody Bag($158)
- Madewell Wigwam Cypress Socks ($12)
- J.Crew MacAlister Shearling Wedge Boots($170, originally $250)
This is equal parts tough girl (look at all that leather!) and girlie-girl (a soft pink textured sweater is key), and it just so happens to hit all the right notes for a low-key cold-weather look.
Shop the look:
- Vanessa Bruno Chunky-Knit Sweater ($306, originally $875)
- Topshop Tassle Hem Faux Fur Gilet ($110)
- Karl by Karl Lagerfeld Pacey Faux Leather Mid-Rise Skinny Pants ($100, originally $200)
- AllSaints Nikol Coat ($550)
- Max Studio Long Leather Gloves ($98)
- Erickson Beamon Field of Dreams Swarovski Crystal Earrings ($240)
- River Island Zip Side Ankle Boots ($70)
Winter whites with a layered, cozy twist. To make sure you're not drowning in the lighter hue, take care to play with proportions, tones, and texture.
Shop the look:
- Mango Angora Turtleneck Jumper ($55)
- T by Alexander Wang Silk-Charmeuse Maxi Dress ($105, originally $270)
- Anna Sui Faux Shearling Coat ($290, originally $580)
- Gorjana Small Star Stud Earrings ($35)
- Ralph Lauren Denim & Supply Cable Knit Beanie ($55)
- Bobbi Brown Lip Color in Black Berry ($24)
- Wolford Satin Opaque 50 Tights ($45)
- Elizabeth and James Paul Boot ($260)
Let's take a moment to put aside the holiday styling preparations, and turn our attention to a more casual affair. We're thinking off-duty here. More specifically, we're thinking about the ways in which we can take our low-key Winter looks - layers, layers, and more layers - and transform them into chic, functional, nonbulky uniforms.
Let's start with three solid outfit ideas: a silky maxi dress-turtleneck combo for the feminine styler, a plaid-infused ensemble for the classicist, and a leather-fur-wool trifecta that won't let a textural enthusiast down. Click on for our latest (off-duty) edition of how not to look like the Michelin Man when heading out into subzero temps, and tell us how you'll be wearing your laid-back wares this weekend.
More From FabSugar:
139 Street Snaps to Inspire Your Most Stylish Winter Ever
Why We're Obsessed With Ultrachic Winter White - Celebrity Edition
Shop Your Socks Off: Over 250 Great Gifts For Everyone on Your List!
15 White Elephant Gifts You'll Want, Too - All Under $15
Photo Credit: Courtesy of FabSugar