5 Curly Hair Care Tips
Fun fact: My hair is actually naturally curly! Err.. well.. it was curly.. but it hasn't been the same since I had it chemically straightened back in January of 2011. BUT it's finally starting to be curly again. If you have curly hair.. here are some helpful pieces of advice:
1. Curly hair is naturally dry and thrives on moisture, which is why it's advantageous to use shampoos without sulfates, or try the "no-poo" method of eschewing shampoo altogether and just using conditioner.
2. Avoid using brushes and narrow-toothed combs, and instead opt for wide-toothed combs which cause less frizz and breakage.
3. The key to getting great curls is to set the curl pattern while your hair is damp. It's best to avoid completely combing through your hair. Instead set your part, then comb through as little hair as possible at the crown to have the hair lay as you want it.
4. Use a microfiber towel to dry your hair, but blot it dry instead of rubbing back and forth. This will cause less frizz! If you need your hair dried more quickly, use a blow dryer on a low/medium setting with a diffuser.
5. Also avoid touching your hair as much as possible.. this can separate your curls and lead to unwanted frizz.