Fun fact: My hair is actually naturally curly! Err.. well.. it was curly.. but it hasn't been the same since I had it chemically straightened back in January of 2011. BUT it's finally starting to be curly again. If you have curly hair.. here are some helpful pieces of advice:
1. Curly hair is naturally dry and thrives on moisture, which is why it's advantageous to use shampoos without sulfates, or try the "no-poo" method of eschewing shampoo altogether and just using conditioner.
2. Avoid using brushes and narrow-toothed combs, and instead opt for wide-toothed combs which cause less frizz and breakage.
3. The key to getting great curls is to set the curl pattern while your hair is damp. It's best to avoid completely combing through your hair. Instead set your part, then comb through as little hair as possible at the crown to have the hair lay as you want it.
4. Use a microfiber towel to dry your hair, but blot it dry instead of rubbing back and forth. This will cause less frizz! If you need your hair dried more quickly, use a blow dryer on a low/medium setting with a diffuser.
5. Also avoid touching your hair as much as possible.. this can separate your curls and lead to unwanted frizz.
Some Products to Try:
Redken Ringlet 07 Curl Perfector moisturizes and revives curls with "dramatic" definition while controlling frizz and adding shine.
TIGI Catwalk Curlesque Amplifier enhances your natural texture while defining curls and streamlining waves. Its essential oils combined with thermal and environmental protectants nurture curls for the perfect radiant finish.
DevaCurl Set It Free provides 24 hours of moisture. This moisture lock spray eliminates frizz, adds shine, and enhances curl
Fekkai Marine Summer Hair Beach Waves blends ocean botanical extracts, Australian sea kelp, and active cooling agents to create surf-sexy, tousled waves year round.
Ouidad Moisture Lock will define curls and make your hair shine.
Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray adds sexy, tousled waves and a light matte finish to any hair type. Infused with natural dead sea salt and sea kelp, this salon formula has you and your hair ready for the boardwalk all year long.
Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse is an alcohol-free mousse that has an anti-frizz complex and helps define and hold natural curl patterns for 24 hour touchable curls that are never crunchy.
What are your favorite products for curly hair? I swore by the Sunsilk Gel & Cream Twist, but Sunsilk products have been discontinued in the US.. and now they sell for like $30 a pop online. So I've been looking for my new "holy grail" curly hair products! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.